London-Paris - Best Daytrip Options

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2018, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are in our early 30s and are headed to London & Paris, May 19th to 29th and were looking for suggestions of day-trips or smaller surrounding towns to explore in addition to sightseeing in the city. Our tentative itinerary is as follows:

May 18th - Depart US
May 19th - Arrive in London at 10:30 am
May 20th - London
May 21st - Potential Day trip from London
May 22nd - London
May 23rd - London - Paris (Taking Chunnel departing at 10:30 am)
May 24th - Paris
May 25th - Potential Day trip/ Overnight Trip from Paris (Have thought about Normandy but was unsure about timing and transportation to and from - Would love thoughts on accommodations as well.)
May 26th - Normandy? Or Paris
May 27th - Paris
May 28th - Paris
May 29th - Depart for US

Thank you in advance for your help and suggestions!
Old Apr 17th, 2018, 03:48 PM

Booked Eurostar (Chunnel) trains yet - if not do so ASAP. Most will say you if never been to London before best stay there with such limited time. But day trips abound and it's hard to recommend one over the other (Oxford, Cambridge, Salisbury & Stonehenge, Bath, etc.) - Paris - easy to take train to Bayeux in about 2-3 hours - stay there and take mini-bus tours to D-Day Beach highlights - neat old town - famous cathedral and Queen Matildha's 1066 Tapestry documenting Norman Conquest of England hangs in local museum - book trains at www.oui.sncf - discounts again if early.

For lots on trains check www.seat61.com; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com. Be sure to arrive at least 30 minutes early for Eurostar trains to be guaranteed entry thru security.
Old Apr 17th, 2018, 04:40 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>May 18th - Depart US
May 19th - Arrive in London at 10:30 am
May 20th - London
May 21st - Potential Day trip from London
May 22nd - London
May 23rd - London - Paris Eurostar
May 24th - Paris
May 25th - Potential Day trip/ Overnight Trip from Paris (Have thought about Normandy )
May 26th - Normandy? Or Paris
May 27th - Paris
May 28th - Paris
May 29th - Depart for US<<

IMO/IME you simply don't have time for a day trip from London. After formalities, and transfers, the 19th is less than half a day and you'll likely be jet lagged so a non-day sightseeing-wise. That leaves you just 3 usable days for London so you'll have to rush like maniacs to see just the top 7 or 8 sites in London. If you simply must get out of the city then consider half a day out to Hampton Court Palace, to Windsor, or down river to Greenwich (Both HCP and Greenwich are IN London but still require at least half a day). But no matter -- you have to be VERY selective what you see/do in London. It is enormous.

Paris is a little better - since you won't have jet lag and Paris is MUCH smaller than London. You will have 5.5 usable days in Paris - so you can squeeze in a day trip -- but an overnight out of town is probably too much unless you have been to Paris before. Maybe Chartres - fabulous cathedral and a really different experience than Paris. Or a lightning trip to Normandy and back (that would be a VERY long day)
Old Apr 18th, 2018, 05:58 AM

Day trip to Bayeux to hook up with minibus tours is very feasible if that is really your interest.
Old Apr 18th, 2018, 11:22 AM

My friend and I took and day trip to Windsor Castle, Stonehenge, and Bath. I would have liked to have had a longer time in each place but this worked and if I didn't do it this way (a tour) I probably wouldn't have ever done it at all. I always liked referring to Stonehenge as a pile of of rocks, but I have to say I was quite impressed and then delving into the history and age of it, it's pretty spectacular.

We also went out to Hampton Court (took the train, just used our Oyster Cards) and it was quite interesting. I love all things Tudor and to be walking the same hallways as those historical figures, and where Catherine Howard ran screaming for Henry to spare her, kind of sends chills. It was not all day but could have been.

When in Paris we went to Giverney one day, Fountainbleu another, and Versailles was the last trip. Easy trips, can be made all day or not, as you choose. Not my first visits to Giverney or Versailles but I think were my last just because I've "done them". Fountainbleu was a first and I would have like a bit more time there to check out the surrounding town and area.

I think and JMHO, with the time you have for each city, perhaps pick one day trip for each. This was not my first visits to either city, we were there for two weeks in each and we never lacked a minute for things to do and see.
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 11:52 AM

If going to Hampton Court or Windsor Castle - two really nearby sites easily reached by train be sure use your train ticket for 2 for 1 entry, saving tons of money:

https://www.londontoolkit.com/whatto...iscussion.html
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 12:36 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Why link the tool kit and not the actual site??

https://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/2for1-london
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 12:44 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree that you don’t have enoigh time in London to do a day trip. We only did one day trip when we were there for ten days.
Paris- Normandy is possible, overnight in Bayeux at historic Hotel Lion d’Or.
A day trip to Monet’s Home and Gardens in Giverney is another wonderful choice as is Chartres.

Last edited by HappyTrvlr; Apr 20th, 2018 at 12:48 PM.
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 01:15 PM

Well the Toolkit site has IMO laid it out a lot simpler at first glance - listing all places covered and basics. But right should list the official site too but the Toolkit has it all too, right? and sometimes a third party site takes a more objective look at it than the official site, right?
Old Apr 21st, 2018, 11:20 AM

but right no time in London to do a day trip if want to scratch surface of what London has to offer.