London Overnight

Search

London Overnight

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London Overnight

We (three persons, carry-on luggage)arrive in Heathrow at 4pm next July (a Friday)and leave at 11am the next day. I want to stay in London. I know we can't do much. Maybe London Eye or just enjoy a nice dinner and walk around. I am thinking of using HEX since I fear traffic would be a problem at that hour. Problem is where should we stay? I don't think Paddington is that interesting an area. Price is not that big of factor. Any suggestions?
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 01:59 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I would only take the HEX if I was staying at Paddington and that really isn't a great location for seeing London.

I'd first pick a hotel and then choose the best way to get there. If staying in South Kensington or anywhere along the Piccidilly line, I'd use the tube. Not much hassle since you are pcking light. It is actually just as fast as the HEX plus a taxi or the tube to another part of London, for a fraction of the cost.

But if you are not staying near a Piccadilly line station, then I'd book a car service right from LHR to your hotel. It would be cheaper than the HEX for 3 of you, and be door to door.

Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 02:08 PM

janisj has given you good advice. If you decide against the tube, many Fodorites recommend www.justairports.com for a car service. There is a sizeable disocunt for paying cash.
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I assume we can find a nice place in South Kensington so the Picadilly sounds like a good bet. Is my assumption correct that traffic would be bad on a Friday evening?
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 02:12 PM

Most people use public transport (as opposed to taxis, because no-one practically no-one drives) to and from Heathrow. But few use the HEX.

However, Friday evening (as it will be once you've cleared immigration) inbound you're going against the traffic, and there isn't any outbound Saturday morning. So janisj's described the transport decision perfectly. There are only two half-decent hotels close to the HEX, as against dozens elsewhere in town.

You say "price isn't a factor" Really? Because if £500 a room a night is fine, then it's the Connaught or the Lanesborough. Few on this board are that free with their cash, though, and you might find you want to be a bit more directive on budget.
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Wow. Great responses. I agree that HEX is not the way to go. I said price was not that big of factor but you are correct I should have been more explicit. I am willing to pay £200 - £250.
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 02:37 PM

We really liked the Holiday Inn South Kensington. It was so convenient to the tube; about 1 block. It was clean & well appointed. There was grocery 1 block away with Krispy Kreme donuts if you want to grab something fast & cheap for breakfast.

There is also a Holiday Inn Forum in South Kensington - I don't know about it. Which ever hotel you select, be sure to view the comments on tripadvisor.com.

We used justairports as advised by Fodorites & found it reliable & we thought it was a good price.

Have fun, Julie
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 02:42 PM

For location, price, quality, etc., I'd stay at the Intercontinental.
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

I assume you mean the Intercontinental Park Lane?
Old May 11th, 2008, 07:45 AM

If you stay at the Premier Inn County Hall or the Marriott County Hall, you are next to the London Eye and close to Parliament Square. You could eat at Skylon in the Royal Festival hall or at the Oxo Tower.
Old May 11th, 2008, 12:47 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Londres: This post 7 months old. It was topped by someone who registered to advertise a mini cab service. The editors then nuked him leaving the thread topped . . . .