Reload this Page >

London or Italy with an 8 year old??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2000, 04:50 PM
rachel

I want to take my son to Europe next year and can't decide on London or Southern Italy. Any suggestions or real life experiences?

Old Oct 23rd, 2000, 04:10 AM
Debbie

Rachel: I have been to London but not to S. Italy. We took my 7 yr old son to Paris this summer and he had a great time. I think anyplace you take a child that age would be a great experience as long as you visit some place that they are interested in (for example, we took my son to Notre Dame, castles, and of course the old familiar McDonalds). We searched guide books before we left and he picked out some things he wanted to do. My son is also a big souvenier shopper and used his own money he saved to purchase some souveniers from his trip. He also took his own pictures and had a great time making a scrap book when we got home to share with his class!! Have a great time. We are also looking into traveling to S. Italy next summer, have you looked into anyplace in particular? I am having a difficult time deciding where in Italy to go!

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 07:35 PM
nancy

Hi Rachel, I took my granddaughters &lt;ages:13 and 8&gt; to Tuscany this summer.They absolutely loved it!We stayed near Pisa &lt;flew into Pisa &lt;change in London&gt;in a country house . We went to the town where Pinnochio was "born".Went to the Leonardo da Vinci Museum &lt;in "Vinci"&gt;.Stayed in the Pisa area for four days doing day trips. Then went to the area between Sienna and San Gigmignano to another Villa Hotel &lt;historic residence&gt;WE booked tickets on the internet for the museums in Florence...didn't drag them all around..just saw the "David" and left &lt;did that kind of museum looking so they wouldn't forget what they saw.There are marvelous walled cities to see : Volterra,Sienna &lt;and in the north ..Lucca.They loved every minute! Their favorite thing?...The leaning tower! <BR> London is wonderful for children too.There is a great zoo...The palaces have great Armory museums...Kids love the" Dungeon"and the Wax Museum.Thje Tower of London.There are "walks" you can take during the day with guides that meet you at tube&lt;subway&gt; stops.They are historical walks ...done by well informed actors."Haunted London" was a;lways a favorite with my children! <BR> Two other trips I took the little girls on...Portugal &lt;a real sleeper!&gt; and Brittany &lt;everyone goes to Paris!

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 03:18 AM
nancy

Nancy and Rachel, <BR>Rachel, <BR>no real life experience yet. <BR>This coming June, taking our two children to Italy, (1st trip europe) <BR>We thought of the U.K.,but italy won out. <BR>Maybe it should depend on whether you feel your son will enjoy being in a totally different culture, or one more similar due to similiarity of the languages. <BR> <BR>Nancy, <BR>Where was Pinocchio "born" anyway? <BR>we will be in the Pisa area for a short time. <BR>Nancy <BR>

Old Oct 29th, 2000, 05:14 PM
rachel

Hi Debbie, if we go to Italy I was thinking of starting in Rome and checking out the various sites there for a few days. Then taking the train south and visiting Mt. Vesuvius and Pompeii. Then off to Capri to see some friends. I liked the idea of your son's scrapbook for his class - thanks! <BR>Rachel

Old Oct 29th, 2000, 09:36 PM
Brian Kilgore

London. <BR>He's learning to read, and can read in London. He'll see things in London that he'll read about in books and see on television later, reinforcing his trip. <BR>In London he'll be spening his days doing interesting things, and being spoken to, and listened to, and entertained by, friendly people who he can understand. <BR>Southern Italy (unless you stay in one place) means spending many hours travelling. In London, he's seeing the sights, instead. <BR> <BR>And you can still take him tothe country, of the seashore. <BR> <BR>BAK