London night

Aug 5th, 2002, 03:46 PM
Sharon

London night

I am on a stopover flight in London for one night. Is it crazy to think I can arrive at Heathrow at 2:00pm and go into the city and go to a play, stay all night and back out to Heathrow in the morning?

Thanks for any information.

Aug 5th, 2002, 05:02 PM
Sue

Sharon,
You will be tired, but it is doable. I would choose a hotel near the theater if possible. Another alternative would be to stay at an airport hotel and train into the city, see the play, and back to Heathrow. Depends on how much you want to do this. Have fun.

Aug 5th, 2002, 05:20 PM
Wilma

Yep, Sharon, it's doable. I did it. I had play seats reserved. Had a hotel reserved near the airport; caught a taxi from the hotel; went to the play; had a light bit to eat; returned to the hotel by taxi; spent the night; and caught a 10am flight. I was very, very, very tired...and it was worth every minute. Go for it!!

Aug 5th, 2002, 06:53 PM
xxx

Heathrow Express takes only 15 minutes to Central London. There is a new Hilton open up right at Paddington ,you could check in your baggages right at the station.

Go into London, take long walk,look for something nice to eat, go to a concert or play,enjoy yourself.

Aug 5th, 2002, 08:17 PM
janis

Whether you should stay in central London (more fun) or at LHR (generally more expensive) depends on how early your morning flight is. If it is before 8AM you should probably stay at/near Heathrow, take the train into London for the evening and back to the airport hotel that night.

But if you flight is mid-morning get a hotel in London and spend more time in the city. Then take the Paddington Express train to LHR 2 - 3 hours prior to your flight.

Do not take a taxi - round trip on the Paddington express will cost a fraction of one way in a cab.

Aug 6th, 2002, 01:23 AM
Kate

I second the suggestion to stay in the Hilton at Paddington. That means your hotel is about 20-30 minutes from the airport, even if you're dawdling and buying newspapers. Paddington is good and central, and close to Hyde Park. You can catch a number 23 bus into the heart of the West End - Piccadilly, Shaftesbury Avenue, and see TWO plays - you could probably catch a matinee at 3, and a late performance at 7.30, have a nice supper (check your Fodor), stop off for a quick drink in Steam, the new bar in the Paddington Hilton, and then sleep. I hope you do, and I hope you have a lovely time.

Aug 6th, 2002, 07:44 AM
Sharon

Re: London night. Thanks so much for all your great suggestions.

I'm going for it!!