Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London - need help with hotel and restaurant!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2004, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone

This is my first time posting here, so forgive any mistakes!!

I live in N Ireland, and my husband and I are going to London next weekend. It's a spur of the moment decision!

I have been give a budget of £1,000 for the whole weekend, for meals, flights, hotels and drinks! Basically my husband cant be bothered organising it and I love arranging weekends away so he's leaving it all up to me!!

We arrive late on Friday night and leave on Sunday. I would like a hotel that is kind of trendy and cool, and very central for walking to shops/restaurants pubs. A 4 star if possible.

I would also appreciate a reommendation for a restaurant for the Saturday night as well. Somewhere with a 'wine bar' trendy atmosphere rather than a posh restaurant. Somewhere we could stay on for a few drinks afterwards and maybe walk to another few pubs after as well.

I hope someone can help me make a start on my plans!!

Thank you in advance.

Ireland!
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

I just thought it might be helpful to mention that the last time I went to London I ate in the Mandarin Oriental Hotel, and thats the kind of atmosphere I'd like - it was excellent food but in a trendy setting with a cool bar for drinks afterwards. I'm thinking of something similar to that.

Thanks

Ireland
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 04:20 AM

Great budget!

Go rynair or easyjet and save the money for the hotel.

For trendy, cool and central, The Covent Garden Hotel or One Aldwych would suit your hotel choice (both also have very nice bars). These should just about suit yor budget, leaving room for that meal and those bars!

http://www.onealdwych.co.uk/index2.html
http://www.firmdale.com/covent.html

For a restaurants, you might be cutting it fine to get into somewhere 'of the moment'. See if you can get into The Wolseley (it's only been open a year and is still 'hip').
http://www.london-eating.co.uk/more_...&CurPage=2

This is just first thoughts off the top of my head - will keep thinking.
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 04:21 AM

Take a look at the completely renovated and updated Cadogan Hotel (also under new ownership). It's a beautiful building (once home to Lily Langtry and Oscar Wilde frequently stayed there). We stopped in recently to check it out for some friends and it looks terrific. Plus, guests have access to the private Cadogan Gardens. The rates are within your budget and the location is great.
www.cadogan.com
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 04:59 AM

For the restaurant, I think Kensington Place on Kensington Church Street would fit the bill, and you should still be able to get a reservation at this point. Nearest tube station is Notting Hill Gate. The food is good (I particulary recommend the foie gras and sweetcorn pancakes !) & there'a always a real buzz about it. There are some nice pubs nearby - I'll post again if I remember what any of them are called. If you want to pub it after eating, though, remember that pubs normally shut at 11 in England, so you'll need to eat fairly early.
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 06:42 AM

Ireland, I always find it hard to find somewhere nice for a drink after dinner. Your best bet would be to stay somewhere where there's a bar at the hotel. The Metropolitan, on Park Lane, has a popular bar, so does the St Martin's Lane hotel. If you eat in a restaurant in a hotel (for example Nobu, in the Metropolitan), you still won't be allowed in the bar there, unless you are staying in the hotel (or unless you are very beautiful and famous!)
The Berkeley, on Knightsbridge is good too; their restaurant Boxwood Café is great, and they have a popular bar there too.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 02:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all the suggestions. I am going to look into all of these now, and I'll report back with my thoughts. Any other ideas welcomed!!

My husband and I are keen boaters (weather permitting in N Ireland, once a year LOL). Is there any boat trips available of any kind? Just an idea!

Many thanks

Ireland
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 03:40 AM

There are boat trips along the Thames, although I'm not very up to date with details - I'm sure others here could help. I seem to remember seeing people getting on a boat next to the London Eye. Regent's Park has small rowing boats you can take out on the lake, although possibly not at this time of year.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all the replies. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. I have looked at all the suggestions, but nothing has really seemed perfect just yet - sorry!! I really liked the One Aldwych hotel, but would prefer something maybe a little more plush. I have decided to go for a posh, plush hotel, and keep the trendiness for the restaurant - get a little taste of everything!!

Ideally the hotel wouldbe 4/5 star, 'olde worlde' posh and elegant. It would be great to have all that and a swimming pool too - my husband likes a wee swim before our evening meal!

I shall keep searching the net, and maybe someone can come up with more suggestions for me too!!

Thank you so much.

Ireland
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 01:23 PM

OH, dear. Better be quiet about that last request. When we were little we always got in trouble if we took a wee with our swim!

Old Nov 10th, 2004, 12:29 AM
Original Poster

LOL Patrick!! I must have a word with my husband!