Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2014, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LONDON NEED EXCELLENT BUGET HOTEL REFERRAL

HI
I know london is very expensive and spread out
but I could use a budget friendly hotel or B&B referral for a short
holiday stay with my children ages 8 and 11.
Close to tube so we can get around the city to all the "touristy" places.
MANY THANKS
Old Dec 4th, 2014, 05:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It depends on what you call "budget" elizabethG. Can you give a per night figure and your party size? Is it 3 or 4?
Old Dec 4th, 2014, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

party of 3 and I suppose the budget just depends on value per dollar
I dont have a set number since i see all the hotels are quite expensive like NYC where
I live I will see after I get some referrals and decide I might have to spend more to feel like
we are in a good spot ,,, so i wasnt sure but I can say I would like to be under 300 dollars per night ... if that is any guide ... I hope that is even possible ... WE are on a a budget vacation and this is just one area of the UK we will be so I need to spread out my funds for the entire trip
Old Dec 4th, 2014, 05:53 AM

Look at Premier Inns, but check that the location is within the circle line on the transit map. Ibis is also another good bet.

You will get cheaper the farther out, but then you waste a lot of time and cost in transit. I wouldn't recommend this for London.
Old Dec 4th, 2014, 05:57 AM

The www.londontown.com website is good to use to scout hotels. Put in your dates and other requirements and then use the interactive map which includes places and prices to narrow down what might suit you. You can then cross check what appeals against tripadvisor or other review websites or post a few here for fodorites to comment on.
Old Dec 4th, 2014, 07:09 AM

You have two kids in tow, look for a flat. And you can find flats in the 125 GBP/night range, which is well under $300. Check "A Place Like Home" and google London Vacation Rental and look up St. Katherine Marina flat rental.
Old Dec 4th, 2014, 07:45 AM

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay at the Thanet Hotel for 9 nights over Christmas a couple of years ago. It's considered a "budget" hotel. It's a short walk to the British Museum and close to two underground stops. We found the bus a convenient way to move around London from this hotel also. I believe they have a triple rooms. Deborah
Old Dec 4th, 2014, 11:10 AM

Check out London's YHA hostels. Some, like the St. Pancras location, are particularly geared to families.
http://www.yha.org.uk/places-to-stay/london

Lee Ann
Old Dec 4th, 2014, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I stay at the Ridgemount on Gower Street. Their en-suite triples are currently 202 USD. The Arosfa, next door, is a bit posher and a bit pricier, but I like the bathrooms in the singles at Ridgemount better. It's walking distance to the Northern and Piccadilly lines, and buses stop almost in front.
Old Dec 4th, 2014, 11:37 AM

Depending on the dates of your trip, staying here may work (I've done it several times):

http://lsevacations.co.uk/
Old Dec 4th, 2014, 04:55 PM

When looking you need to be very specific about bed configurations. Two double beds is NOT standard in most hotels. Many triple rooms are one double bed plus a roll-away. If that is OK with you - you need to figure out who sleeps where. And be aware that in British English "cot" is not a roll-away folding bed - it's what they call a baby crib. So be specific about what beds you need.

$300 is enough that you should be able to find something with a central location and also near a tube station,
Old Dec 4th, 2014, 05:45 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>And be aware that in British English "cot" is not a roll-away folding bed - it's what they call a baby crib<<

Well -- to be <i>accurate</i> it is what <i> we</i> (Americans) call a baby crib.

Brit-speak cot = crib

Yank-speak cot = folding or camp bed.
Old Dec 4th, 2014, 05:50 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Try the Premier Inn County Hall first. Great location and VERY popular. But the rates (because of the popularity and location) can be above your budget -- it is very date specific. So plug in your dates and see. Then try other PI's around central London - most will be significantly cheaper.

Then try londontown.com

Both the Ridgemount and Arosfa mentioned mentioned above are good budget properties in a terrific area.
Old Dec 5th, 2014, 12:06 AM

we have stayed at the Celtic (61-63 Guilford St) which fits the bill. it is right by the russell square tube. With a shower, it will be around 125 pounds for 3. family run. good enough breakfast. very basic but very comfy. they also have a little backyard area which might be a great thing for a little break with the kids.