COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

London: Messing with Royal Guards?

Old May 12th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

London: Messing with Royal Guards?

There are some movies like "Austin Powers 2" that shows that these english Royal Guards stand still like a "window mannequin" and they dont respond to you at all.

Is that true that you can touch or even mess with these Royal Guards in London and they suppose to do nothing but keeping stand still?

What do you know about these guards? Tell me everything, please!

-Peace!
Old May 12th, 2012, 09:04 AM

Ah duh, bipenett, why would you want to touch them???
Old May 12th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

stop being a jerk, nytraveler.. I am not going to london anymore.. I was just wondering. I may dont know, but there are some private places in Russia where I've been that the bouncers couldn't talk to costumers at all.

I was just wondering if Royal Guards also had the same instruction to avoid talking to people on the street.

Why people over this forum keep poking rudely other people who only want to know curious stuff about places?

I am not forcing anybody to answer or even read my question. But if you want to read and answer my question, please dont be a jerk like nytraveler. There is too much jerks in the world and you dont have to prove that you are just one more of them.
Old May 12th, 2012, 10:09 AM

They are soldiers doing a job and will not react to you or engage with you at all. I am sure you are not allowed to touch them and if you got annoying the police would intervene. The most I have seen tourists do is stand next to them and get their pics done...doing anything else would not be socially acceptable.
Old May 12th, 2012, 11:08 AM
P_M

I would not even think about touching them, that would surely be crossing a line and could get you into trouble. I think it would be best just to leave them alone and let them do their jobs.
Old May 12th, 2012, 11:59 AM

I have a rule for situations like this.

Don't mess with anyone who a loaded gun.
Old May 12th, 2012, 12:00 PM

who a loaded gun. Sorry, should be who has a loaded gun.
Duh!
Old May 12th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

thank you jamikins!
thank you P_M!
thank you Rastaguytoday (haha.. you are very funny.. I really would think twice before messing with someone with a loaded gun lol)

I was exactly wondering if I could take pics beside them, but jamikins gave me the answer
Old May 12th, 2012, 12:55 PM

OK - inquiring minds want to know, since >><blue>I am not going to london anymore..</blue>><blue> . . .take pics beside them</blue>
Old May 12th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

janisj.. haha.. it was an hypothetical situation.. (like if I wonder if it is possible to walk on Sun surface, I really dont mean to go take a spacial bus tomorow to go to space to try to walk on Sun)..

duhh.. lol..
thank you janisj for your participation
Old May 12th, 2012, 03:39 PM

You can have your pictures taken with them, but I don't recommend touching them, putting your arms around their necks, etc. Maybe flash them.

What is hard for Americans to understand it that virtually every inch of public space in the UK, certainly in London, is covered by closed circuit cameras (CC or CCC) and you are under observation at all times, pretty much wherever you are. The soldier may not react, but other authorities may, and they will certainly have photographic evidence of anything you might have done. That's why I suggested flashing them; that will look great in your video file! ;-)
Old May 12th, 2012, 05:14 PM

The OP is not an American. Based on the standard of English - I have no idea where he is from but English is NOT his native language.

As for being a jerk (do you not know any other prejprative term?) - your question is what I would expect from a 10 year old child. Perhaps that's what you are?

And it is still unclear IF you are going to London - or plan on doing anything but bothering whichever Gruards are on duty.
Old May 12th, 2012, 05:48 PM

"What is hard for Americans to understand . . . "

What has that got to do w/ bipenett, his thread, or his question?

Hey bipenett, have you found your all-you-can-eat places in Paris yet??
Old May 12th, 2012, 05:57 PM

The guards will keep still if you "mess" with them, but the police officers won't. And if you try it you won't look cool or amusing, you'll just look like an idiot.
Old May 12th, 2012, 06:40 PM

The OP is messing with us, as in his/her Paris in 24 hours question. Highschooler from another country out of school for the summer probably.

Go ahead and "mess with" the guards. You'll find out the answer to the question.
Old May 12th, 2012, 10:22 PM

yes please do mess with the Guards, then explain later to your family and friends why you have been deported and never allowed back into the UK.
My nephew is a serving soldier and has done ceremonial stints at both Buckingham palace and Edinburgh castle,he has also done very traumatic stints in Afganistan where friends and collegues were killed and injured.
Please do mess with them I am sure your country will be very proud of you when you get back................. evetually.
Old May 13th, 2012, 03:43 AM

"Why people over this forum keep poking rudely other people who only want to know curious stuff about places?"

Because it was a stupid, naive bloody question, that's why.
Old May 13th, 2012, 03:43 AM

janisj, Apres_Londee and unclegus got it. Young people in the US do all sorts of incredibly stupid stuff -- I have been a college dean -- with no worry about getting caught. Not so in the UK owing to CCTV. And in the US, Daddy and Mommy will lawyer up and usually get them off on the rare occasion when they are caught. Thus adolescence, life without consequences, lasts into the late twenties.

I took the OP seriously because that's the kind of stupid thing college kids and twenty-somethings do. When I was researching students and internet privacy I came across a web photo of American girls pulling down their tops and bras to flash in the colonnade at St Peter's in Rome. It is not only considered fun to do this kind of thing -- they clearly think it is hilariously funny -- it is considered extremely amusing to post it on Facebook.

I for one, unclegus, do not think our country is proud of young people who do this kind of thing. I agree that they should be deported and denied reentry, and let them explain to their employers when they have grown up and have jobs that they can't go to the UK on a business trip.

Sorry to spend so mcuh banndwidth on this, but I sometimes assume that people will get my abbreviated interjections.
Old May 13th, 2012, 04:30 AM

I don't know about interacting. But I do know they can whistle. At least when there is nobody around. At least in 1972.
Old May 13th, 2012, 05:01 AM

Sorry, but anyone who uses the term "messing" is suspicious and for all the right reasons.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO