Search

London Lord Mayor's Show

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:25 AM
yk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London Lord Mayor's Show

I did a quick search and saw some comments from 2005; it sounds like it's not a must-see? I've been to London in early Nov and the weather tends to be cold and raw, so the idea of sitting outdoors (right? the Grandstand seats?) isn't too appealing either.

What I'm debating is this:

I'm offered free lodging in London up through Nov 11 night. I was going to fly home on Nov 12. The Lord Mayor's show is on Nov 13. So, if I want to see the show & fireworks, I'd have to stay 2 extra nights in London on my own dime. Hotel seems to be quite expensive that week, the lowest I can find on hotwire is almost $150/n; or I can stay at LSE TopFloor for 80 GBP for a single. So I guess my question is whether the show is so spectacular that I should stay in London thru Nov 13, or just stick with my original plan and departon Nov 12.
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 07:42 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
It has been many years since I've attended the Lord Mayor's Show and I think it is a bigger deal now - but I really enjoyed it.

Not sure I'd extend a free London stay to "on my dime" just to see it though. I'd save the money and go back to London in May or June when it it warm and the sun stays up half the night.
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 08:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We saw the Lord Mayor's procession about two years ago and really enjoyed it but personally, I wouldn't stay on in London just to see it. We just turned up and stood near the railings just down from St Paul's and got quite a good view - free to just stand and watch. It was raining a bit and once people put up umbrellas it make it harder to see. The best bits were the gold Lord Mayor's coach and the magnificent horses. It is quite a sight.

Kay
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 01:43 AM

It's an odd combination of formal ceremonial and semi-commercial carnival parade.

Up to you whether it's enough to justify the expense (I'm not sure it would for me), and a lot depends on the weather. You wouldn't want to be standing around in the rain (forget about the grandstands, I've always assumed you'd need the right sort of institutional connections, and besides if you stand in the street you can walk away and do something else whenever you like). I've managed reasonable views down Ludgate Hill, like Kay, and on the return route where the Embankment turns up towards Blackfriars:
http://autolycus-london.blogspot.com...yors-show.html
http://www.flickr.com/photos/patrick...th/1950768117/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSOFm18BGUk
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 01:44 AM

I meant to say, the best spot to see the fireworks is on the South Bank around Gabriel's Wharf and the Oxo Tower.
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 04:19 AM

I was offered tickets to the Andrea Bocelli concert at O2
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 04:22 AM

oops.. On Nov 12th but decided to go to Paris instead.
I've only ever seen the Lord Mayor's procession on TV and it's not something I would stand around for in the rain or cold.
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 07:55 AM
yk
Original Poster

Thank you for all your responses. I think that if I could score a $70 hotel on Hotwire, I wouldn't mind staying in London for 2 more days. I'll stick with my original plan then.