London Itinerary Help Needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2015, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me and my 18 y/o daughter are traveling to London and Paris in Mar. Can you please look at the London schedule below and tell me if it is ok or make suggestions for changes. We are staying at an apartment near the London Eye. The only items that can't be changed have an ** by them. Thanks in advance for your time!

Fri. Mar 6: Arrive Heathrow at 940a and travel to rental near London Eye
Borough Market (will eat while here)
The Globe
Tate Modern (open 10a-11p)

Sat. Mar 7: Pictures in front of Buckingham Palace
Breakfast in Picadilly Circus
**11am-1p Sherlock Holmes Tour (starts at Piccadilly Circus / ends Covent Garden)
After tour go to:
Trafalgar Square
Charing Cross Road
Chinatown (walk through and grab a bite)
When finished take #15 heritage bus from Charing Cross and ride to Tower of London stop
London Eye at Night

Sun. Mar 8: Natural History Museum (wildlife photography expo only)
Science Museum
Victoria and Albert Museum
Harrods

Mon. Mar 9: Tower of London (Crown Jewels/Yeoman Tour/Beefeater/Ravens)
Tower Bridge (glass sky walk)
3pm Afternoon Tewa at One Aldwych
**7pm Old. Westminster by gaslight walk (Londonwalks)

Tue. Mar 10: **10am-2pm Eating London Tour (start at Liverpool Street Station/ ends Shoreditch)
**2:30pm "Art of the Brick" at the Old Truman Brewery (1hr)
Westminster Abbey tour

Wed. Mar 11: Take Eurostar to Paris at 8:31am.
Here are the items we need worked into are already existing schedule:
River Cruise to see city from different view (ok if we only use as ferry to get to another spot)
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 08:30 PM

Sunday 3 museums and Harrodsburg in one day. I understand in one you are just doing one exhibition but you still have 2 others to "do" as well.
I am exhausted just reading your itinerary and cannot imagine how you would fit in a river cruise .
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 08:30 PM

Oops Harrods!
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 08:47 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Your plan seems awfully regimented w/ all the walks and tours

Don't quite understand taking the #15 to the Tower . . . but visiting the Tower on a different day. Instead why not take the #15 back from the Tower on Monday . . . it goes right past One Aldwych.

If you are touring the Brewery at 2:30 you won't be able to see the Abbey the same afternoon. It closes to visitors about the same time you'd leave the Brewery across town.
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 01:14 AM

Or you could go by river on the Saturday after your ten minutes or so in Chinatown (it really isn't that much to see): either take the Circular Cruise from Embankment, returning to Embankment or Westminster), or the Clipper riverbus down to the Tower and back to the London Eye.

I don't know this Eating London tour, but... four hours?
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. Does this schedule look better? This was my original but was torn to shreds on another travel site.

Fri. Mar 6: Arrive Heathrow at 940a and travel to rental near London Eye
Take Black Taxi Tour (4hrs) which will take us and stop at all the “major” attractions and get us a lay of the land. Last stop is a small pub from dinner.

Sat. Mar 7: Breakfast in Picadilly Circus
**11am-1p Sherlock Holmes Tour (starts at Piccadilly Circus / ends Covent Garden)
Cross over and do Tate Modern
London Eye at Night

Sun. Mar 8: Natural History Museum (wildlife photography expo only)
Victoria and Albert Museum
Science Museum (only if time permits)
Harrods

Mon. Mar 9: Tower of London (Crown Jewels/Yeoman Tour/Beefeater/Ravens)
Tower Bridge (glass sky walk)
Take #15 from Tower to Aldwych
3pm Afternoon Tea One Aldwych
**7pm Old Westminster by gaslight walk (Londonwalks)

Tue. Mar 10: **10am-2pm Eating London Tour (start at Liverpool Street Station/ ends Shoreditch)
**2:30pm "Art of the Brick" at the Old Truman Brewery (1hr)
Afternoon free to just walk or go back to any interesting things

Wed. Mar 11: Take Eurostar to Paris at 8:31am.
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 04:55 AM

As you don't say what your major interests are, it's hard to make suggestions of replacements as you have obviously done some research and I assume chosen walks/tours/places that suit you. And that's terrific.

However, you still seem to be locked into making things fit around some timed tours and so you are somewhat limiting yourself. It does seem that they are of a variety, but I'd guess that they might cover some of same ground, but it is "your trip."

I think you've left off 3 of my top 4 of the most important sites in London--going INTO Westminster Abbey (takes 2-3 hours--take a tour inside), going INTO St. Paul's, and the British Museum. I'd urge you to see about adding one or more of those, which might mean leaving out some walk/tour.

The first schedule had you going to the wonderful Borough Market and along the river toward the Globe--to me, this is a much better plan than sitting in a taxi riding around just looking. Personally,those tours (well, I've never done it with a taxi, just with students on a bus) that drive around showing you "highlights" are NOT helpful in orienting myself, and I end up seeing those things later anyway if I spend much time. I think after a flight, the last thing I want to do is ride around, especially in a car, even one that "stops" a few times. I'd recommend getting outside and walking yourself, using a map, riding the Tube so you get the hang of that--if you are near the Eye, the whole South Bank is there with walks and bridges and people-watching galore. And why not "do" the Eye that night--that's a great intro to the city, too.

Going to the Tower the first thing is the way to go. In case you haven't had this suggestion, here's one that works: Be there to get tickets at least a little before opening, go directly to the Crown Jewels tower, see that, come back (an hour later) to the entrance for the second Beefeater tour of the day (which lasts about an hour), then see whatever else you want. (You COULD spend the entire day there, but planning at least 4 hours is wise, including maybe some lunch and souvenir shopping). The Tower Bridge Experience is I think overpriced unless you have the 2for1 deals, if it's still doing that, although my husband did enjoy the look at the works. I did thoroughly enjoy getting to walk over, though, and the views that day were decent. So mixed reviews--I'm glad we did it once with reduced price, but it's not on top of my lists.

I agree that 3 museums and Harrods (which is like a museum--look but don't touch and most likely don't purchase!!) is way too many, but again--it's you. If this is what you do, why not go to Harrod's first--it may be a jam-packed place all day but surely a bit less first thing? Then work way down to the museums. I've not been to the Nat. Hist. or Sci. so have no comment, although the consensus seems to be that they are good but nothing special for international traveler. Maybe there's something there that is esp. intriguing to you? Anyway, the V&A is another that could take you all day! But the British Museum trumps all these imho--unless you are "into" the special arts that are in the V&A which are amazing too. But I tell my students that going to London without going into the British Museum is criminal! HA! But consider it please. (It is open late on Fridays, but I don't think day of arrival is good day to be in a museum!)

So if you are determined to do the walks and tours, then I guess you have a plan that sorta makes sense in terms of geographic grouping. But if you are willing to replace some, I'd suggest starting at Westminster Abbey early one morning (I'd say Tuesday)--you'd still have time for the Brewery thing. And after the Sherlock Holmes tour, go into St. Paul's on your way to the Tate perhaps.

(and you probably did, but do check opening times and days of the week.)

London will be terrific for you, whatever you decide. My first visit was with my almost 16 year old; she's been back with me on one trip, and now she is going with me as a fellow-teacher-chaperone with some students this June. Yay!
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 09:58 AM

I was going to post almost exactly the same thing and then I read texasbookworm's post . . . 4 museums on one day (Harrods takes the same effort as a big VERY CROWDED museum ). You won't do any of them justice trying to squeeze in all 4.

>><i>Fri. Mar 6: Arrive Heathrow at 940a and travel to rental near London Eye
Take Black Taxi Tour (4hrs) which will take us and stop at all the “major” attractions and get us a lay of the land. Last stop is a small pub from dinner.</i><<

I would not do this. By the time you get to your flat and settled in it will probably be nearly 1PM if not later -- If you need to get any provisions etc, count on 2PM before you could even start the taxi tour. Why not just wander around and get a feel of the area, get some fresh air, try to make it to Borough Market (though late Friday afternoon it will be VERY crowded), maybe take a short boat ride. Just relax and try to get over the jetlag.

One question - The Lego exhibition would be fun, but is it really 'worth' foregoing some other major/iconic London sites. Or if you really want to see it -- then skip the 'Eating' tour. There is nothing magical about eating in East London -- lots of good to great restaurants everywhere in the city. IMO you have too little time to devote half a day to this foodie walking tour
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 10:25 AM

Can only reiterate that you are giving very short shrift to some major sights - cutting them short for a bunch of "tours" that I really don;t get.

If you have a specific interest that you want a tour for - that's great - but these seem to be very random.

And on Sunday - well that will take at least 2 fu days if not more.

But without specifics of what your interests are (I'm a history freak and want every major museum and historic sight) and have zero interest in Holmes, Bricks or Legos (is that right???)
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 10:41 AM

nyt: The "Bricks' exhibition is a wonderful art show of legos creations. Not a children's theme park. It is really quite amazing -- but it plus the food tour would eat up (no pun intended) the whole day.

http://artofthebrick.co.uk

I'd maybe book tix to the Brewery one morning and use the afternoon for some other major site(s). If you have already booked the tix - do other things that morning til after lunch time and then head out to Shoreditch for the exhibition.
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 10:45 AM

ps: Unless you HAVE already purchased your tix, I'd consider dropping it and devoting the time to something else. But it wouldn't be a waste of time either.
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 11:58 AM

Borough Market is still fun on Fri afternoons, and lots more fun than not going at all.
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 12:08 PM

Oh - I totally agree. I'd go to the market, but just might want to eat someplace else.
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 04:10 PM

We arrived in November about the same time in the morning from Heathrow and also stayed near the Eye. I agree with the advice to wander around. The river walk especially just north of the Eye is very interesting and it may help you fend off the jet lag. We chose to hop on one of the red tour buses that first afternoon (they run all day) to get an overview of the city. It was fine but one of our fellow jet-lagged tour-mates fell asleep in the open air -- the same thing could happen to you on the four-hour black taxi tour. Leave yourself some time throughout for some spontaneous fun ... don't get so worried about getting to your next tour that you forget to enjoy the moment.
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and input. Maybe this information will help ...My daughters primary interests are Sherlock (RBJ and Cumberbatch), foodie experiences, and modern art. The food tour, Sherlock tour, going to a pub and Tate Modern were her only requests. Other than that she just wants to experience the sights and sounds of London. Ultimately I would do this trip differently if it were just me and my husband. However, this is her graduation present so I am trying to hit her highlight list and then get some culture and "been there" tags. Total goal is for her to end up loving the travel experience enough to want to go back and explore more in the future.
Hope this input helps and keep the suggestions coming. I will drop the Lego exhibit so please suggest things to do that afternoon.
Thanks again everyone!
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 02:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Jet lag, get out in the open, sunlight on the skin is critical so open top buses will be too cold. Walk about with t shirts on
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 07:17 PM

It sounds like a great trip, LovetoGo. She's a lucky girl.