London in June - really crowded?

Old Dec 24th, 2001, 06:37 PM
Anna

London in June - really crowded?

I'm planning on going to London around June 9th - 18th. I remember people saying that European school kids don't get out till July - does that mean London isn't that crowded around the time I'm going?

Old Dec 24th, 2001, 10:30 PM
Maya

I've been to London many times during the summer and have never really felt the crowds.
I think part of it is because there is no admission to most of the museums so you don't have to wait in line to get in.
Regarding the school children I have been in London before their school year was out and encountered many of them on school field trips. So going before they get out of school does not guarantee not running into them at the sites.

Old Dec 25th, 2001, 06:17 AM
Jim

Hi Anna:
Most responders will advise you London is busy year round which is true. You will pay more for housing and you will have longer lines in June. If you have your choice of dates, I always recommend May or September for virtually all European cities. We likes walking tours in London and you should consider same--no matter when you go. We usually eat in pubs and stay at Bed and Breakfasts in the Sussex Gardens area. Have fun with your planning

Old Dec 25th, 2001, 07:46 AM
xxx

I was in London in late June 2000. Swore I'd never be there again in the summer tourist season. Felt like New York or Dallas. Go in the off season!

Old Dec 25th, 2001, 01:04 PM
Kitty

We were in Great Britain for two weeks in the first half of June this year and we did not feel the crowds were bad at all. We were in London around June 4-6 and back again June 15-16. The earlier time was fine but we noticed a marked upturn in the number of American tourists and crowds in general around the 15th and 16th. For the rest of our trip around Great Britain we did notice lots of school groups in the museums we went to. But we had 12 and 8 year old chilren with us so we went to museums that kids like to to frequent. The only place it was unbearable was at Dynamic Earth in Edinburgh. Otherwise we would hang back and wait for the groups of kids to leave.

So early June is fine but after about the middle of June it does get busy.

We've had better weather in October than in June when we've been to London so don't think the weather is that great in June.

Old Dec 25th, 2001, 02:17 PM
janis

London absorbs the crowds very well and normally June is not yet "High" season. But this year will likely be much different. The Queen's Golden Jubilee is being celebrated all year -- but the biggest events are during the first half of June. Expect things to be more crowded than normal.

Old Dec 25th, 2001, 04:39 PM
Anna

Ok, now I'm getting worried! Is the time I'll be in London as busy as July, August, or September?

Old Dec 25th, 2001, 05:59 PM
Patrick

I think this is one of those questions which really doesn't have a definitive answer. Normally I've been in London, nearly always for at least a week either the very end of May or the first to the middle of June. Last summer we were there the first week of May and it was by far the busiest I've ever seen it. On the other hand while we are there for a week it seems that one day we find ourselves mobbed with crowds everywhere we go, then the very next day may seem deserted by comparison. We went out to Windsor that first week of May and could hardly move. It seemed that every school group in the UK was there than day on "field trips". We stay in Covent Garden and one day we might walk there or near Picadilly and hardly get through the crowds, then the next day wonder where everybody went.

Old Dec 25th, 2001, 11:19 PM
Anna

Someone mentioned the Queen's Golden Jubilee - is their going to be anything big in London during June 9-18 2002? Just wanted to be aware of any huge events in advance!

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 04:20 AM
Joanne

The official Jubilee events are over the weekend of June 1-4.

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 04:26 AM
Patrick

Help me out here. When I was originally planning to be in London earlier in June this next summer than I am now going to be, I found that there was a really big weekend -- for the Jubilee I thought-- with a double bank holiday on both Monday and Tuesday. I thought it was the 17 and 18 of June, or was it the 24 and 25? Also I believe Wimbledon is the week of the 17th as well as Ascot on that following weekend. Always lots going on in June.

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 07:32 AM
gogoellen

HiAnna! We are going to London June 11th! It's fun planning the trip! I too, am worried about crowds! However, when you both work in the public schools there isn't much flexibility when you can travel!!!

Have you bought any theater tickets? I wonder when it is the time to do that? Any ideas?

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 09:13 AM
Joanne

Patrick, the double bank holiday is the first weekend in June. Monday, June 3, is an additional, extra bank holiday because of the jubilee. And the next day, Tuesday June 4, is the new date for the bank holiday that is usually held at the end of May but is being officially postponed a little bit this year.

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 09:18 AM
janis

gogoellen: There is no need to buy any tickets before you get to London -- UNLESS you want to see My Fair Lady or the Lion King - and even those can be had closer to the date.

For almost all other shows you can go right to the theatre box offices, or even better go to the 1/2 price ticket booth in Leicester Square on the day of preformance.

As for crowds - June is not yet high season in the UK. London is always fairly crowded - but European children are not out of school in June (mostly they don't get out until mid July) so the main travelers are Americans w/ kids and retired folks.

The Jubilee will enlarge the crowds - but the busiest time will be the 1st week. Wimbledon in mid-late June is always crowded - but the numbers going there do not appreciably increase the crwods in London since it is such a huge city.