Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help with Itinerary for quickie Paris visit

Dec 25th, 2001, 07:46 PM
fran

If you had only 2 1/2 days in Paris, what would you do? I definitely want to go to the Musee d'Orsay. Other than that and the Louvre, any art museums to recommend? What other sights would you see?

Dec 26th, 2001, 12:48 AM
meira

Hi Fran
If I had only 2 1/2 days in Paris I would:
1. Cry.
2. Would not spend them in any museum.
3. If I would go to one it would be the Louvre but try not to spend there the 1/2 day.
4. Cry.

Enjoy
Meira

Dec 26th, 2001, 01:15 AM
alex

Keep in mind that the d'Orsay is closed every Monday (state and municipal museums-the nationals, Louvre..., close Tuesdays),and, strikes are not uncommon. As you apparently enjoy "modern" art, I recommend the Marmottan (mainly Monet, and a very large collection of impressionism and post), the Picasso (?), the Pompidou (modern and beyond)and the Rodin (very charming setting).
Consider doing a tour, if this is your first trip. I have a fondness for the cathedrals and churches (Notre Dame, Sainte Chapelle) that often have exceptional art in their own right. Anything high-the Eiffel Tower, the Arc de Triomphe, Sacre Couer, the Montparnasse Tower, the towers of Notre Dame, all provide great views of the City. A boat ride on the river is rewarding.

Dec 26th, 2001, 03:46 AM
Gretchen

The d'Orsay would be my choice also--go for it. For views of the city go to the top floor of the department store La Samarataine. One other museum we love is the Carnavalet which depicts the city of Paris in art. Have dinner at some wonderful restaurants. Sainte Chapelle is right at the top of my list of must sees. Enjoy!

Dec 26th, 2001, 04:43 AM
C

D'Orsay in the morning, then walk-all over the city,stop and eat at outdoor cafes so you can keep watching everybody and everything,then walk.Dinner somewhere around the Eiffel Tower,then try to go to St Chappel for an evening concert..Next day, same thing My first trip to Paris was Easter weekend, we walked ... everything was closed, so there was no choice of museums, but the city of Paris is a great museum...Have fun~~~C

Dec 26th, 2001, 05:12 AM
BTilke

Fran, the one thing I would NOT do is try and cram in as many sights as possible. You won't be able to see them all and you'll only feel rushed and stressed. Instead pick one or two things you'd really like to see, do those, then go with the flow. I think the Musee d'Orsay is a good choice for your museum visit. It's beautiful and has a great vibe. If you went to another museum, I'd pick the Cluny Museum (Museum of the Middle Ages) over by the Blvd. St. Michel. You can see most of it without eating seriously into your limited time and it's an interesting museum. Other sights to visit would be Notre Dame and the Eiffel Tower, of course. But just walk around as much as you can. Stroll through the Luxembourg Gardens, the Tuileries, the Ile St. Louis or the Place des Vosges. Stop for coffee or a drink whenever you pass a cafe that catches your fancy. Take a boat tour if they're running (the Seine water level may put paid to that, you don't say when you're going) and you think you have time. As you walk around, just take in the atmosphere as much as you can and make notes to yourself what you'd like to see on your next and longer visit.
BTilke (Brussels)

Dec 26th, 2001, 06:14 AM
trying

First of all, lest this gets into a debate about how to travel (and how much time to spend in one place), I am going to assume you have no more than 2.5 days, and can't extend it. Make a list of your must-sees, group them by area, and go see them accordingly. Plan your days carefully. During my first trip to Paris, I too only had 2.5 days. Good or bad, I wanted to see as much as possible. We hit the Arc, the Louvre, the sewer museum, the Catacombs, St. Chappel and Notre Dame, Monte Marte, the Rodin, the Eiffel and the D'Orsay (all spelling very much approximate!). In other words, most of the tourist attractions. Though rushed, the trip was a complete rush. Plan to take the Metro a lot. You may not feel the need to hit as much, and more power to you; you'll be able to spend more time at specific attractions. We revisited many places again the next year, but others we did not feel the need to revisit. We didn't spend as much time as we would have liked just wandering, which should be factored in as an attraction in itself. Despite criticisms of whirlwind visits, you are going to want to return to Paris ASAP, whether to see the stuff you saw (albeit briefly) the first time, or to see the things you missed. Good luck and tell us how it goes.

Dec 26th, 2001, 06:28 AM
trying

And another thing: be very careful as to when certain attractions are available and open. Monte Marte and the Eiffel tower are as interesting (if not more so) in the evening (and we found the Eiffel's lines shorter then, also). Obviously, many attractions must be visited during the day. Plan for non-active activities, such as a relaxing boat tour, to break up your otherwise active schedule (and to give your feet a break). Try to spread out museums (lest you experience too much overload).

Dec 26th, 2001, 07:37 AM
judys

Remember that there is a 1-1/2 hour English tour at the Louvre. Save alot of time and at least you get to see the major pieces.

Dec 26th, 2001, 09:23 AM
Ron

Consider reserving a table for lunch at the Jules Verne Restaurant in the Eiffel Tower. They have a private elevator, so no waiting in lines. Then take a taxi to the Musee D'Orsay, which is right down the street. Do not visit the D'Orsay on a Tuesday.

If you visit the Arc de Triomphe, take a senic taxi ride from there: down the Champs Elysees to Place de la Concorde, along the Quai des Tuileries and left through the Louvre and the Place du Carrousel. From here consider a walk through the Palais Royale.

If you choose one park to stroll through, it may quite possibly be the Luxenbourg Gardens.

My favorite museum happens to be the Jacquemart Andre, which is open seven days a week. The mansion itself is worth the visit.

Place des Vosges is a lovely destination. The Carnavalet and the Picasso museums are nearby.

Dec 26th, 2001, 09:36 AM
elaine

I'd plan a couple of evening museum visits, assuming I'm there on the right evenings, and that I am a dedicated sightseer as opposed to a dedicated stroller.
Orsay is open late on Thurs nights, with an English tour at 7pm last time I checked. Louvre is open late on Mon and Wed evenings, although you have to check their website to see which galleries will be open or closed on which evening.
Acoustiguide in English available at any time; not sure about guided tours in the evening.
If you want more museums, the Rodin and the Marmottan (a treasury of Monet paintings) are two of my favorites.
I like some of the others mentioned above of course, but wouldn't put them in my must-sees on a short first trip.
I would walk by the Eiffel Tower but not wait in line for the trip to the top because I personally don't care about aerial views; some do.
I would see the inside of Notre Dame and as mentioned Ste Chapelle; they are especially beautiful on sunny days when the light illuminates the stained glass.
I would WALK as far and as long as my stamina would permit--it's a wonderful way to learn the city even with a short period of time. The walk from the Eiffel Tower to Notre Dame, or vice versa, with whatever detours you like, is one way to go. Another day could cover a good deal of the left bank. The half day would be good for shopping, browsing, and time spent in the Marais--Place des Vosges area.
I have a file on Paris; if you'd like to see it, email me.