Notices

London Hotels - Location?

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 01:57 PM
Jennifer

London Hotels - Location?

What part of London do you think is the best to find a hotel - based on safety, comfort, location?

Also, has anyone stayed at a hotel above a pub? Is it a good idea, Any suggestions?

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 03:53 PM
Ed

The Mayfair area, but its also the most expensive.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 04:20 PM
moonbeam

South Kensington..near museums, harrods. Brompton rd, Chelsea, King's rd..almost everything is walkable4 or a short tube ride...and very safe..

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 04:22 PM
John

Hi Jennifer,

My wife and I typically stay in Kensington.

Why? We like the area and typically stay at Millenium Bailey or Gloucester -next door neighbors.

And we are subway folks. A stop is literally across the street.

We have stayed at a pub/hotel . . . once . . . in travels over many years.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 04:39 PM
doug

Another vote for (South) Kensington. Close to some museums and Harrods. Good neighborhood, short tube or taxi ride to lots of stuff. Less money than Mayfair but still not cheap.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 04:54 PM
Martha

Jennifer -
I stayed in the Belgravia area a few years ago and liked that area - residential, but close to shopping areas and Victoria station. This past March I stayed in the Notting Hill area, which I also really enjoyed. That's very close to Hyde Park, Kensington Palace and lots of shops and restaurants on Bayswater Road.
Martha

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 06:21 PM
Monica Richards

I stayed in Marble Arch, which I thought was pretty convenient to everything. We walked back to the hotel most nights from where ever we were (Tower of London, Houses of Parliament, Trafalgar Square).

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 07:07 PM
Mel

Another vote for Kensington or South Kensington. Earl's Court has some nice boutique hotels, as well.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 04:56 AM
David White

One more vote for Mayfair, St. James's and this general area:

Buckingham Palace on the west, east through Mayfair, south to Westminster Bridge and east back to the Palace.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 05:34 AM
Mark

Bloomsbury, near the British Museum and the theatre district.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 02:09 PM
Tony

One more vote for Mayfair. Probably most central location in London. First class hotels. Safe neighborhoods. Wouldn't stay in any other location unless I couldn't afford it.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 07:28 PM
Brianna

I stayed at the Flemings Mayfair in February and it was fabulous. PERFECT location, off Piccadilly (walked to Piccadilly Circus), across from Green Park, across from tube station, walk to Buckingham, right next to The Ritz, and on a quiet street. LOVED IT. Clean, friendly staff, upscale hotel, and perfect location.
I got my room from travelocity but I saw it cheaper on lastminute.com a bit before we left.
Anyway - that is my suggestion!

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 03:21 PM
Gayle

Another vote for Mayfair. The Holiday Inn there is a four star and quite reasonable.