London Hotels

Old Mar 21st, 2004, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London Hotels

Does anyone have any recommendations for hotels for 3 nights in London for 2 adults and 2 teenagers. It seems that everywhere I look the max per room is 3. Also, having never been to London before, what is the best area for us to stay assuming we want to do the usual tourist stuff-Tower of London, Buckingham Palace etc. Thank you.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 05:17 PM

The Harlingford Hotel on Cartwright Gardens has four-person rooms. This area, near the British Museum, is also favored by many tourists.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 05:26 PM
rex

Just taking a quick look at various hotels in SW London on www.smoothhound.co.uk - - it seems to me that three-fourths of them offer a "family room". Here's just one example, and you can link further on to the hotel's own web page from here: http://www.smoothhound.co.uk/hotels/theparkhotel.html

Not recommending this hotel, nor Belgrave Road per se - - indeed there are plenty of folks here who are quite a bit more knowledgeable than I on London hotels. They're all likely to say that it is hard to make a specific recommendation without knowing a target budget.

I just wanted to share with you the usefulness of smoothhound... and point out that they have numerous hotels that can accommodate four in a room.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 05:57 PM

Try renting a short term apartment, or a B&B. Usually, if it isn't high season, you can get an apartment at a pro-rated fee. I would stay anytwhere on the Picadilly (main tube)line.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 06:48 PM

The best area to stay is somewhere near a tube station (in central zone 1 or 2); that puts you close to all the usual stuff. You can get an inexpensive daily pass starting at 9:30 am which covers unlimited use of the tube and busses. It is worth visiting a bookstore and getting a map which includes the tube (or downloading one); just beware that you may be a little farther from the station than it looks if your map omits the minor streets.

4-person rooms are not the norm in London, but they can be found. A lot of the smaller hotels in London are made up of a row of converted townhouses; I kind of like the character vs the big concrete block, but the cheaper ones may have inconveniences like no elevator or awkward rooms.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 08:58 AM

I recently stayed at the Arosfa Hotel, a simple but clean and pleasant B&B in a good location (Bloomsbury).
They have quad rooms. I didn't see one, I only saw a triple which was small but manageable. Be advised that the bathrooms are converted closets and quite small. Cooked breakfast provided every day. I think a quad was 90-something GBP.

I have a long file on London; if you'd like to see it, email me at
[email protected]
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 09:24 AM

FOr quads you have to contact the hotel directly. Quads are rarely listed on any booking sites, and sometimes not even on hotel websites. We booked 2 interconnecting rooms at Cranley Gardens for hte 4 of us (we'll be there in 2 weeks). Here's a link to an earlier post that lists several quad options: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34455329
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 09:33 AM

Elaine, I just emailed you for your file.

Thank you in advance.