Reload this Page >

London Hotel Recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 1998, 11:46 AM
JenK.

Our first time to London will be this August. It will be for three nights on the end of a 20 day trip and we want to splurge on a quintessential London "boutique" hotel with chintz & oriental rugs and afternoon tea. Our travel agent is recommending the Beaufort, which sounds extremely wonderful but it is $338/night for a double incl. VAT. I want to splurge but I don't want to go crazy. The Pelham and the Cadogan were also recommended. Any input on a lovely place that runs around $200-250? Thanks for input.

Old Jul 9th, 1998, 05:24 PM
kam

<BR>

Old Jul 9th, 1998, 05:24 PM
kam

<BR>

Old Jul 9th, 1998, 05:31 PM
kam

The following might fit your budget range: <BR> <BR>Knightsbridge Green Hotel <BR>Number 16 on 16 Sumner Place <BR>The Sloane Hotel on Draycott Place <BR>Sydney House Hotel in Chelsea <BR> <BR>Don't know about Brown's current rates, but it's tops. Even if you don't stay, stop in for tea. <BR> <BR>Also Edgerton House Hotel in Knightsbridge <BR> <BR>Sad, but most London lovely hotels have very big price tags. If you can budget any of the above--go for it. <BR>

Old Jul 9th, 1998, 08:23 PM
Mike

Try the Goring Hotel -- they have a web page. We stayed there and just loved it.People great, hotel intimate with a great family history.

Old Jul 10th, 1998, 09:32 AM
JenK.

I just wanted to thank you all for the recommendations. I just read Town & Country last night and they also recommended the Cliveden. Anyone every stay there?

Old Jul 10th, 1998, 11:13 AM
Kat

At the current exchange rate, $338 is only 207 pounds . . . which, for London, is a good deal. The Beaufort is very nice, veddy English -- you'd be comfortable and delighted there. Many of the other suggestions are quite good, too: the Goring, Browns. I'd also recommend in the theatre area, the Covent Garden Hotel and in Knightsbridge the Franklin Hotel. <BR> <BR>Regarding Cliveden, it is an expensive, tres upscale estate hotel outside of London. There is a newly opened Cliveden townhouse hotel in London in which I've not stayed but have seen its high rates.

Old Jul 10th, 1998, 02:04 PM
Rya Ben-Shir

My daughter and I spent a week in London 6/98 at the Arran House Hotel on Gower Street. I would recommend avoiding this budget hotel. Although it is adequate and the owner himself is very friendly, he is hardly there and his managers are downright hostile to guests, slamming doors in their faces and purposely ignoring people . It almost ruined our trip. This place is highly recommended in lots of guide books. I would never stay there again. <BR>