Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London Hotel - Deal too good to be true?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2003, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling to London in early March for 8 days.

I spent hours researching hotels and finally settled on the Rubens at the Palace - I couldn't find one negative review of this hotel. Londontown.com offered rooms with breakfast for 84 GBP ($134) and the Rubens' website offered rooms at 275 GBP.

Has anyone stayed here? Can I possibly get this good a deal?

Old Nov 11th, 2003, 08:24 AM

I've heard good things about the Rubens too. That price ($134) sounds very realistic. Other people have been assigned this hotel for <$100/night when using Priceline.

I'll be in London in March 04 also. Nice to see that prices are low. I'll end up getting my room via Priceline.
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 08:42 AM

Hi,
I stayed there this past august during the heatwave-they had air in the rooms YEAH!!! Anyway, it is a nice hotel-I was on my own so did not spend much time there. Rooms are adequate and the bathrooms are GREAT...
When you walk out of the hotel to your left..go up two lights (I think) and there is a internet cafe on the left of that street..so you can keep in touch with family etc..
The bar next door to the hotel (on your left too) was good..pricey but better drinks then the hotel bar. I ended up meeting some people and sat outside and had great political debates for a few hours there.
I took a cab to convent gardens one night for about 5GPB and had a great time at Punch and Judy's..everyone was so nice..Let me know if you have other questions..
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Whew! I'm relieved to hear good things about the Rubens.

Buffy, thanks for the info on the internet café. I will be emailing home often as we're leaving our 5-year-old home with relatives.

Crispin, we will be there March 1-8. Maybe we'll run into each other somewhere... my parents insist that we visit their favorite pub The Cask & Glass. They spend at least an hour there per night when they go to London... we may try to carry on the tradition
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 10:10 AM

I am traveling again this friday but taking kids..thought about the Rubens again but went with the county hall travel inn..we are also doing Dublin and Edinburgh-nice hotels there-good deals..harder to do in London.
I checked the website you suggested for Rubens..134 GPB for a triple 80GPB for County hall..so good family rate.
thanks
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 12:40 PM

Also stayed at the Rubens last year for 84 GBP or 99 GBP including VAT and full breakfast thru londontown.com. Great hotel, great location. Wonderful buffet breakfast. Rooms smallish, but air conditioned with great amenities. Hotel staff very friendly as well. Loved the proximity to St. James and Green Parks as well as Victoria Station. Wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 12:44 PM

Betty-what about with teens? Rate it 134GPB right now..thanks
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 07:35 PM

I just stayed there two weeks ago. The rate is probably correct! I paid 99 pounds for a double. The hotel is very nice, you will not be dissapointed. The interior is very nice, and the lounges and restaurants are excellent, as is the breakfast buffet. The location can't be beat; right in the middle of everything, and across the street from Buckingham Palace. My only quam was that my room was a bit small. You should request one of their larger rooms at check in. But the rooms are very nice, as are the bathrooms. For that price, you can't beat it!

Len
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 07:36 AM

I have reservations at The Rubens for a triple in mid January for 106 GBP/night. I got this deal from londontown.com- everyone on this board that has used Londontown.com had wonderful things to say about it.
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much guys!

Now I'm just sad that I have to WAIT til March!
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 09:52 AM

I've never used Londontown to book before, and when I do a search for a March stay, I don't see Rubens at the Palace listed. Is is considered a mid-priced hotel? Possibly they are booked, but I'm interested in staying there if I could get a rate similar to yours. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 10:18 AM

You have to look under Small Hotels first then select "Luxury Hotels". Currently, the Rubens is listed on londontown.com for 106 GBP per night including breakfast but not VAT. With VAT, it comes to 125 GBP. I recently booked on londdontown for our upcoming visit in May.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 10:46 AM

Thanks, Betty.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 11:09 AM

To Modeen and everyone else here- I will be staying at The Rubens next week- I'm so excited about this trip I am about ready to pass out! I will report back on the hotel in depth when I return. If anyone has specific questions about The Rubens, post them here and I'll do my best to get answers.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 02:42 PM

Hopefully, Erin, you will enjoy your stay there as much as we did. I loved being so close to St. James Park. In fact, the hotel is really close to most everything, especially if you love to walk like I do. The staff at the Rubens was also very friendly and I loved their big English breakfast buffet.

Anyway, I can't wait till our trip in May and look forward to your trip report.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 03:24 PM
kmb

Yet another vote YES for The Rubens at the Palace. We have stayed there 3 times and will be staying again at the end of February. The staff is incredible! The concierge staff has always given us great advice about theatre tickets, restaurants and tour ideas. The decor is boutique Victorian and although some rooms are small they are well decorated and appointed. We always request a room overlooking the Royal Mews. Breakfast is wonderful and LOCATION...! The hotel is 1 1/2 block from the Victoria Station tube and walking distance to many sightseeing destinations. Some of the rooms are connecting to provide for families. We have stayed at a couple of other London hotels, but we like The Rubens best for its intimate size, personal atmosphere and great service!
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 04:11 PM

The Rubens has always been our first choice in London, if we can find a decent price. We, too, love being by St. James's Park and from Victoria Station you can take the train or bus to anywhere in England. Even though it is now on Priceline you may get one of the other hotels in that catagory so it's better to deal directly with the Rubens.