Search

London hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London hotel

My husband and I are going to be in London for 3 days in September. Would like to stay somewhere central not to far from theater, shopping, sightseeing. Budget up to $300 CAN per night. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 12:49 PM

We stayed at the Milenium Bailey this past May and were very pleased with our room, service and location. It is NOT near many of the tourist sites or the theater district, but about 10-15 minutes away on the tube. That is the negative. The positive is that it within your budget - probably well within it, the tube is directly across the street and there are (I believe) 3 tube lines that converge at that station which is very convenient. It is a fairly short walk to the Victoria and Albert Museum which IMO is a "must see" -one of our favorites anywhere. The Natural History museum is also nearby. Hyde park is also within walking distance. There are numerous small restaurants and pubs nearby. If you are coming into Heathrow, it could not be easier since you can take the tube from the airport without any changes, emerge and there you are.
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 12:55 PM

Bid on Priceline and stay in a 4 star (really more like a 3 star) hotel in whatever area you like (do some research). Priceline usually offers chain hotels (Hilton, Copthorne, Thistle, Marriott and so on)and you can get a double for around $80 - $100 US a night, depending on where its located. I like S. Kennsington area (for the restaurants) and then take the bus or Tube into downtown. You can get closer in but it might cost more. Go to Bidding for travel.com and see what other people are paying. Be patient and you will get what you want.

I've done this three times now and never had a problem or disappointment. (Stayed in a Hilton, Holiday Inn and Copthrone Tara. Top price was $91 a night). Once you bid if they accept it you are stuck with it. But again, that has never been a problem for me. For the price, I have not seen anything better.
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 01:47 PM

You can check www.londontown.com also for hotels etc.
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 01:55 PM

What is "sightseeing"? What do you want to see?

London is the largest city in Western Europe and is far larger than any Canadian metropolis. There is NO HOTEL within walking distance (one mile or less) of all sightseeing areas, period. Figure out how to use the Tube, you'll need it.

Leicester Square, Bloomsbury, South Bank and South Kensington are all good areas near many attractions. Go to Londontown.com and check for hotels.
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 02:23 PM

I always use Priceline. You will get something decent for far less than your budget.

If you don't want to do Priceline, then I'd maybe look at St Martin's Lane. At the high end of your Budget, but a great location.