London Hotel

Mar 7th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

London Hotel

We have some friends staying at the St. James Club in London, and it is out of our price range. Nonetheless, we'd like to be in shooting distance and stay in a lovely hotel for no more than $150 a night -- any thoughts?
Mar 7th, 2005, 02:05 PM

it will be hard to find a 'lovely' hotel for 80-85 GBP per night.
Try browsing at www.londontown.com and then look for comments on the hotels here or at tripadvisor.com

Many people also recommend trying priceline for London, I haven't done that.
Mar 7th, 2005, 02:16 PM

or try lastminute.com or londonnights.com...We've gotten 4 star hotels for 150-175 dollars per night..depending on the exchange rate at the moment!
Mar 7th, 2005, 02:25 PM

Or you could try Priceline. Do your research first on www.biddingfortravel.com. You can usually get a 4* in Mayfair for around $120 - $150/night.

Mar 7th, 2005, 03:32 PM

I think the closest "reasonable" hotel might be Rubens at the Palace. But with the current exchange rate, as others have said $150 doesn't go very far unless you get "a deal." The Rubens does have a "last minute deal" on their website

http://www.rubenshotel.com/default.a...ferID=146&sc=1

Perhaps someone can advise on what area you might bid on for Priceline for that neighborhood. The problem seems to be the PL areas are too broad to guarantee something "in shooting distance."
Mar 7th, 2005, 04:14 PM

"a lovely hotel for no more than $150 a night" will be a VERY tall order in that neighborhood. Unless you go Priceline - and then you won't be able to specify a property close to Park Place.

You will probably have to modify a couple of your criteria - not all that lovely, and maybe a tube stop or two away from your friends . . .

Victoria is only one tube stop from Green Park station (the closest one to St James Club in Park Place) and there are a LOT of inexpensive to moderately priced properties w/i walking distance of Victoria.
Mar 7th, 2005, 08:10 PM

Hilton Green Park on Half Moon street is not far from St.James, the cheapest I have ever paid for room plus breakfast was around 70 pounds through www.Londontown.com, one year ago.
Mar 8th, 2005, 11:42 AM

Poster Smidrossi (I think that was the name) posted this on another thread just today.

Message: We went to London over Thanksgiving with 2 kids and booked a room through British Airways at what I though was a very good price. $150 American dollars including tax (which is 17% on top of the pounds price you are sometimes quoted) Whe did a lot of research on all of the BA prices/choices and ended up with the Rembrandt which was fabulous especially for the 150 rate which included breakfast. Great location across from the V & A museum, Science Museum, History Museum and 2 blocks from the South Kensington Tube station and about 3 blocks down from Harrods and all the fancy shopping. Perfect in every way.

The South Kensington Tube stop is 3 stops from Green Park, so not as close as you probably wanted to be, but a great idea if you can get this deal.
Mar 8th, 2005, 12:33 PM

If BA doesn't offer it try one of the other last minute sites. I got the Rembrandt with breakfast and all inclusive for 80GBP in October. Excellent location and very nice service and room.I can't remember if it was Londontown or lastminute where I got it.
Mar 9th, 2005, 11:48 AM

That budget just doesn't work in that neighborhood. The best I've seen is £120 per night at the Holiday Inn Mayfair, which is about a 5 minute walk to the St. James's Club.

A bit further of a hike and you could stay at the Sanctuary House hotel for £99. If your friends walked southeast from the St. James's Club for 7-8 minutes and you walked northwest for the same time from Sanctuary House, you'd meet in the middle of St. James's Park...one of the most lovely spots in central London.

Mar 9th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Folks -- thank you for all your help. I will take it all to heart, and report back following our decision and trip. Kathy
Mar 9th, 2005, 04:49 PM

David

The middle of St.James's Park - one of my favorite places in central London. Wish I were there right now!
May 12th, 2005, 09:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone -- just got home and haven't had a chance to review your responses in detail. I'll get on it tomorrow -- really appreciate your help!
May 17th, 2005, 06:59 PM

Be careful with hotel selection especially $150 per night. I just secured a "family room" for abuot $240USD per night - blew the budget but hey, it's London$. My example for caution: one "Fodor's Choice" hotel in the '04 "Fodor's London" book was Kenwood House Hotel. Nice description by Fodor's in '04. Check Tripadvisor.com today for Kenwood House Hotel reviews: you will find it shocking. Lots of other helpful reviews&info at Tripadvisor.com ! As Elaine mentions, Londontown.com has excellent info also.

Search this Thread