Reload this Page >

London: Highgate Cemetery & Hampstead

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2003, 05:42 AM
Degas

Thinking of taking a full day to explore both these locations. However, I'm not certain about how to get between them.

Would I take the northern underground line to Archway (via High Barnet Branch) to visit Highgate and then go back to Camden Station to then take the Edgware branch to Hampstead?

Or would it be quicker and easier to walk between High Gate and Hampstead? How far away are they? Or, since I'll be walking alot in Hampstead could/should I catch a bus between High Gate and Hampstead?

Hampstead: Plan to see Church Row, Handel Gates, St. John's Church, Benham?s Place, St. Mary's Church, Abernethy House, Holly Bush Pub, Fenton House, Admiral's House, Judge's Walk, Whitestone Pond, Hampstead Heath, Vale of Heath, Byron Villas, Downshire Hill, Freemasons Arms Pub, and Keats House.

Would welcome feedback on these places as well as other possible additions.
Anybody have any favorite shops or places to eat or drink?

Old Nov 29th, 2003, 06:49 AM
Degas

Forgot to add Kenwood House and Lauderdale House (High Street) to my Hampstead visit/view list.

Old Nov 29th, 2003, 05:40 PM
Degas

ttt

Old Nov 29th, 2003, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a couple years ago we walked between both places in nov. and i don't remember it being too long or taxing...( i was just cold!) it did take up an entire afternoon though. according to my recollection, there were not a lot of interesting shops or restaurants, but it was a nice day trip and a very pretty walk.
Old Nov 29th, 2003, 09:40 PM

Mr.Degas after all of the great advice and entertainment you have provided I finally can help you!

I used to live in Highgate on Cromwell Rd. to be exact. You will pass it on your right hand as your approach the cemetary. You should take the tube to Archway and walk up the hill. You will walk right into the cemetary on your left. Take a bus to Hampstead Heath. You may need to take two. Enjoy lunch at Kenwood House. They have a newly renovated restaurant with lovely outside seating in the garden. The food was some of the best we had during our recent trip and the most reasonably priced. The curry soup was especially good. After you have wondered the Heath. Either walk down or take a bus to the Holly Bush for a pint or two. GREAT PLACE! You have so so much on your agenda for N. London. I was wondering how many days you plan on spending there. Keats House has always been one of my favorites. FYI if you find yourself walking down Archway to get back on the tube, BE CAREFUL in the Rain. I slipped down that damn hill every morning on my way to work no matter what shoes I wore!
Old Nov 29th, 2003, 09:46 PM

Just rememberd, My Favorite Pub in Hampstead is The Spainards Inn with the Holly Bush a close second. If you choose to walk from Highgate to Hampstead Heath ( a long trek, but you can do it) You see it as the road narrows, just near the carridge house in the middle of the road.
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 02:16 PM
Degas

wondering, thanks for the feedback. I'm hoping April will be warm enough to walk.

Calamari, thanks for the info. Its always good to get the scoop from someone who has actually lived there. I love victorian stuff and these two locations seem well suited for that topic. The curry soup sounds worth a try if I can't find a Burger King. And I'll rememeber to take it easy on that hill, wouldn't want to have a man of my vast bulk go tumbling down and destroy some of those old buildings!

Old Nov 30th, 2003, 08:56 PM

The warning about slipping down the hill was not a "bulk" related issue, but I just would hate for you to scuff your white loafers or scrape your legs as I am sure you will be wearing shorts and your special belt buckle.

April will be beautiful on the heath. You should try to stay in the area for a couple of days. BTW do you know anything about the history of Highgate? Check out Highgate Historical Society website. Really curiouse stuff.
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 09:00 PM

Degas, check out Europen Ghost stories thread that someone recently revived. I bet you could add to it!
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 01:26 AM

Degas - I live in Highgate and often go to Hampstead and so really wish there was a direct way of getting from one village to the other without backtracking on the northern line to Camden the way you have suggested. I have timed the backtrack tube route and it takes about half an hour from one tube station to the other. The walk accross the Heath from Highgate Ponds to Hampstead is lovely (assuming it isn't pouring!) and not strenuous at all - There is one particular route which takes in gorgeous views of London but I can't think of how to explain it in writing - Happy to chat to you when you get here if you want more info. I'd suggest you walk to the Cemetery via Highgate village and through Waterlow Park if you have time. The village is very pretty and although no particular shop stands out as a must-visit (mostly estate agents wedged between gift shops!) there are beautiful Georgian buildings and Pond Square is lovely. In Hampstead I love Louis' Hungarian Patisserie - particularly on a cold day (and assuming you're all pub-ed out). It's a real old-fashioned Hungarian tearoom with delicious pastries and tea in those china cups you don't see often in restaurants. Nearby is the Hampstead antiques market (open Tues to Sat I think) which is nice to wander around. Flask Walk in Hampstead has lovely little shops and the Flask pub (not to be confused with The Flask pub in Highgate which is also recommended for atmosphere). If you have a sweet tooth and have missed out on Louis' pastries there's a small kiosk on Hampstead High Street (just past Waterstones bookstore) which sells incredible crepes - beware overdosing on the one with white belgian chocolate! I could go on and on, you have definitely done well to reserve a full day for Highgate and Hampstead!
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 05:22 AM
Degas

Lisa123, my "sweet tooth" is about a foot long, but I try hard to suppress it at home. All bets are off when I travel. Thanks for the great info.

I'm going to plan this for a good weather day and use all my usual ten miles of walking for High Gate and Hampstead.

I have a walk outlined that covers all those places I listed, except for Kenwood House. Looking at my limited map (will get a London A-Z) over here, it seems that it just might be better to walk across the Heath from Highgate to Kenwood House and then connect up with the other places in Hamsptead.

Old Dec 1st, 2003, 06:10 AM

sounds like a good idea and, of course, if you do the walk across the Heath there is less guilt when you reach the Belgian chocolate crepes...
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 06:49 AM
Degas

Calamari, thanks for the website. Reading up on the history of a neat place always makes the trip much more rewarding. I'll be on the look out for the resident ghosts and vampires.

Old Dec 1st, 2003, 11:17 PM

Degas
Be sure to pack garlic in your fanny pack before your trek through the cemetary!
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 04:14 AM

Degas, do be extra careful. We know you are quick, with cat-like moves, but a nasty vampire would love to sink its teeth into a man of your xxx-large size. Daylight visits only!
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 11:36 PM

Hmmm. Just wondering if a vampire feasted on our tasty Degas would he be subject to paying a coperto for the privledge? Or would it be "tutto compreso"?