Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London- Harry Potter exhibition @ British Library

Nov 2nd, 2017, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Anyone interested / traveling to London over the next few months, there is a new HP exhibition at the BL. Looks terrific.

https://www.bl.uk/events/harry-potte...story-of-magic
Nov 2nd, 2017, 06:14 AM

I heard about that, but alas, I'm home now. I'm sorry it wasn't on while I was there.
Nov 2nd, 2017, 07:31 AM

Yesss, I already have my ticket. Less than two months to go, yay!
Nov 2nd, 2017, 02:22 PM

I'll keep this post hidden from Tracy

Nov 2nd, 2017, 05:27 PM

It's on my list for my next trip in early December! Are you well enough to keep the London trip on Janis?
Nov 2nd, 2017, 05:29 PM

British Library was a sleeper on one of our trips. Totally mind blowing exhibits, Harry Potter or not. We won't make it back before this closes, more's the pity.
Nov 2nd, 2017, 05:47 PM

Here's hoping its run gets extended; I'll be in London early June! Will keep my eye on dates.
Nov 5th, 2017, 12:08 AM

The REALLY extraordinary thing about this exhibition is that its originator (the British Library) has obviously been inspired either by Warner Bros (who own most of Rowling's IP, but have no connection with this show) or by a non-exec on the BL board to - in effect - franchise it.

There are simultaneous sub-exhibitions, loosely cloning the BL one, in 20 major public libraries across the UK - something I've never seen in a blockbuster art show anywhere before. Details for anyone visiting the UK but not London at https://www.bl.uk/projects/harry-pot...brary-displays

Like any successful show, this one's moving to New York later in 2018. The NY Historical Society hasn't yet published a date.

No doubt it'll then turn into something like Evita: cropping up in Auckland or Shanghai, years after you'd completely forgotten ever going to it.

I suppose I ought to decry the decline in scholarly values. But the BL does need the cash. Conserving medieval books is a costly business.
Nov 5th, 2017, 09:45 AM

I tend to think the same as you, flanneruk. The idea behind it isn't much different than the Downton Abbey exhibit I might swing by in NY.

But I think one of things that does make this great is that it's a terrific way to expose kids to old manuscripts and history. HP has a lot of stuff in it that is rooted in myth or early science efforts. How often to people get to see those manuscripts and books if they don't go looking for them? I think that makes it a lot more interesting than one of the studio tours or theme park lands.

As for basing on the movies- I think that's just an effort not to reinvent the wheel. People have a very definitely idea of what the universe looks like based on seeing those movies.
Nov 7th, 2017, 08:22 AM

Tickets booked for the Harry Potter fans in the family (3 out of 4). A pre Christmas treat
Nov 11th, 2017, 03:03 AM

Let's hope I can still get tickets. Only one of my three girls will be interested. Fingers crossed. We are going over the Thanksgiving break. Thanks for sharing. P.S. Have the studio tour booked already.
Nov 13th, 2017, 12:31 AM

If you're coming to this, try to find some time for the (free) Treasures exhibition as well. And they usually have a smaller temporary display in the foyer on some contemporary topic, which can be an eye-opener.
Nov 16th, 2017, 11:33 AM

Thanks PatrickLondon. I did get the tickets!
Nov 30th, 2017, 11:09 PM
Original Poster

I attended on Thursday afternoon (arrival day jet lag and al ) and if you get a chance GO.

Quite extensive, with many original hand written and typed JK Rowling manuscripts with her edits and margin notes, a few of her original drawings, her manual spread sheets laying out the entire plot lines of the whole series before the first book was written, many of Jim Kay's original illustrations augmented with MANY ancient books and documents re the black arts, magic, apothecary, alchemy etc and a few interactive exhibits. All in a very 'non British Library' type semi theatrical setting.

All timed tickets but they must not being over booking too many per time slot because it was sold out but it wasn't chockablock like many big blockbuster exhibitions at other museums/galleries.
Dec 3rd, 2017, 11:20 AM

We were there on Monday. It made me far more aware of the depth of J.K.Rowling's research and knowledge.
Quite fascinating to read about actual Mandrake roots, see coloured illustrations from the 16th century and an actual mandrake root on display (very old, gnarled but with some semblance of a 'face').

We also fitted in the Modigliani exhibition at the Tate Modern.
The footage and photographs of Paris around 1900 set the scene and the nudes which caused uproar at the time (the exhibition was closed!) seemed relatively chaste by todays standards.
Dec 4th, 2017, 12:06 AM
Original Poster

I'm doing the modgliani tomorrow - looking forward to it. visited the Cezanne portraits at the national portrait on Saturday and the really good Impressionists in London at the Tate on Friday.
Dec 4th, 2017, 08:05 AM

janisj, That sounds like an excellent itinerary!

I'm back in London on Friday, no plans yet except meeting a friend for lunch (might take hours, lol) but I'm hoping to get to the National Portrait Gallery.
Dec 4th, 2017, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Have a fun trip. My visit is a short trip, flying home wednesday.

Also did an evening (champagne) tour of Windsor . . . And best of all, had a great GTG with PatrickLondon and flanneruk.

Had lunch today at Outlaw's and as usual it was wonderful. Tomorrow's lunch is at the top of the Gherkin!
Dec 5th, 2017, 04:03 AM

Well you've certainly packed a lot into a short trip, kudos!