London for work Paris for play!

Old Jun 30th, 2015, 09:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London for work Paris for play!

Will be flying out of Logan. I have meetings near Regent St in London. Could you suggest a nice hotel that's walking distance? Then plan to fly to Paris after or is train better? Last minute trip and it's my first time. Thanks!
Old Jun 30th, 2015, 10:27 PM

booking.com

if the ferry strikes don't disrupt things, train is the better option.
Old Jun 30th, 2015, 11:09 PM

If you're in central London, no contest, the train: but for (as menachem says) the current agitation by French workers for the ferry company that Eurostar has just sold and which is now facing lay-offs. That can't go on for ever, though.
Old Jul 1st, 2015, 05:30 AM

Nice hotels within walking distance of Regent Street;

Hotel Cafe Royal - which is at the bottom of Regent Street

The Langham - which is at the top (actually on Portland Place if folk want to nit-pick)

Both very nice and with prices to match.

I'd agree with the other posters saying to take the train.

I'd also say that if you wanted to do some serious playing (rather than just visit Paris) London is by far the better of the two cities for this, so make sure it's not all work and no play whilst you're in London!
Old Jul 1st, 2015, 05:36 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Can't suggest hotels w/o knowing your budget.

When are you traveling? Eurostar is beast hands down. But seriously I wouldn't use it now due to all the disruption in Calais. If you trip is in the next week or two -- I'd probably fly just to be sure.
Old Jul 1st, 2015, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Hello everyone and thank you. Jay_G those hotels look very nice. My budget is roughly $400. Will be there end of the month. So the train is better but given current situation flight is best bet? Could you enlighten me with the status right now and what I might encounter while there? I'll have 9 days total and was only planning to use 2 in London.
Old Jul 1st, 2015, 08:04 AM

No problem jane.

According to most sources, Eurostar is running a full, normal service today, so by the end of the month everything should be running absolutely as normal.

If you did prefer to fly, flights out of London City airport might be worth a look as there's really no point schlepping all the way out to one of the 'major' airports if you're going to be in the city centre, but Eurostar would still get my vote.

Purely for simplicity reasons, minimising the amount of travel / waiting around time (check in for Eurostar is 45 mins before scheduled departure) and for the fact that it deposits you in Paris proper.
Old Jul 1st, 2015, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again Jay_G. Appears the train is more efficient and quicker over all. Is this correct it's less than 3 hours total? Is there a huge difference between first and second class? Noise doesn't really bother me, more concerned if first is cleaner? I've also been told that I might like to stay around Marais? Any nice hotels there within my budget that serves late night room service? I know it's Paris and I'm sure places are open late but I really enjoy late night room service! Thank you!
Old Jul 1st, 2015, 09:36 AM

It absolutely is less than three hours total. Journey should take two and a quarter hours if all goes according to plan.

There isn't a massive difference between first and second class, certainly not regarding levels of cleanliness. Bigger seats, more space and food service in first (which I go for if someone else is paying) but if I'm footing the bill, standard class is perfectly acceptable and after all, it's only a couple of hours.

Can't help on hotels in the Marais I'm afraid (but it's certainly a good place to stay if you want to play) but I'm sure someone else will chime in with some recommendations.

Hopefully someone will prove me wrong, but you might struggle with the late night room service. The latest I can remember any hotel I've stayed at in Paris (and France as a whole) serving room service until was 11.00, so I think only the truly luxe places will have 24-hour service, but like I said, hopefully someone will prove me wrong.
Old Jul 1st, 2015, 11:43 AM

I don't know what you'd get late, but I often stay in a 4* hotel that is hardly luxe at all (in fact, it used to be a 3* for decades and somehow got raised to 4* but is the same, probably becaue they added room service although they have no restaurant, just a breakfast room)--and they have room service until 2 am!!! I don't know what you can get, but they have it. I suspect they just pop in to the cafe right next door to get something, but I didn't think they were even open that late. The hotel I'm talking about is the Hotel Aiglon but they belong to a hotel group with several nice 4* hotels in various parts, one could check their services http://www.esprit-de-france.com/en/

So I think you can find it, just not sure what you will be able to order. Certainly hotels with restaurants and larger ones will, and not the 5*luxe ones, necessarily.

The 4* Hotel Aubusson in St Germain is certainly not luxe and they offer it 24/7, I bet a lot of 4* hotels do
http://www.hoteldaubusson.com/uk/index.php