London for New Years Eve 2007 - suggestions please

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2006, 01:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London for New Years Eve 2007 - suggestions please

Hello everyone!
I need your great advice once more.

We are a party of 6, on our early thirties and i would like to make reservations for New Years eve. We wouldn't like to wnader in the streets ALL NIGHT.
I think it would be great if we could book somewhere for dinner and watch the fireworks at the same time. Or stay outside until the countdown and watch the fireworks etc. and then after 12.30 book a table in a bar in Soho, Covent Garden etc.

What is your opinion? Any other suggestions?

Old Nov 1st, 2006, 02:56 AM

London on NYE is more of an ordeal than a joy in my opinion.

To get in anywhere you need to buy a ticket or at least reserve a place. You won't find it easy to go from one place to another. You really need to plan to be in one place all night.

The fireworks are near the Eye, so you could plan to be in that area, perhaps you could take your friends up the OXO Tower?

In short London doesn't do NYE at all well. It's too crowded and just generally a pain in the arse.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

I believe every big city in NYE is traffic, traffic, traffic! That's why we want to book ahead something nice for that evening.
Do you think that firewalls and BigBen worth it to stay on that area? Or should we just book a nice dinner/dancing in a nice restaurant/bar?
Could we use the tube that night and save all the pain of traffic?
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 05:59 AM

believe every big city in NYE is traffic, traffic, traffic! That's why we want to book ahead something nice for that evening. >>>>
True enough but some cities (eg Edinburgh) make an effort to make the evening special. London actively discourages people from coming in (those of us who live here tend to stay local to where we live). Unless you book somewhere you won't get in. More to the point - where you are at ten o'clock is where you will be for the night - there really isn't the option of going from one place to another

Do you think that firewalls and Big Ben worth it to stay on that area? Or should we just book a nice dinner/dancing in a nice restaurant/bar?
It's a matter of taste. The fireworks are quite a short (but very hectic) display and the area around them gets hellishly crowded. Personally the dinner-dancing option looks better. The place will probably broadcast the Big Ben chimes on the radio or telly. BTW your mobile phone won't work for a couple of hours after 12. The network gets clogged.

Could we use the tube that night and save all the pain of traffic?

Yes. The tube is free all evening too and runs all night (only that night - it shuts down all other nights).
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply!!
One more thing to ask
Any suggestions for nice restaurants / bars so i can start checking them out now?

By the way if you say that tube is open all night, then the transportation from the fireworks (if we decide to watch them) to the bar will be "easy", right?
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 06:09 AM

Firstly, where are you staying in London?

Your best bet would be to book yourself in at a hotel, go to their party, then stay the night there. There really is no point trying to battle your way on the tubes, and taxis will all be taken. If you want a chance of seeing the fireworks, then The Savoy has river views.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

m_kingdom we're coming from the 28th of December and most hotels are booked already. The others are extremely expensive. I've just found NOvotel city south that has decent prices and i made a reservation there but definitely i don't want to spend my NYE there!
(we would like something a little bit more 'glamorous' or 'fun')
The Savoy isnt' a little 'grand' for our age?
Do you have any suggestions for dinner and party for 30somethings? Contemporary style preferably!

Old Nov 1st, 2006, 06:20 AM

By the way if you say that tube is open all night, then the transportation from the fireworks (if we decide to watch them) to the bar will be "easy", right?>>>>>>>
Not really. Yes there are all night tubes. However you and 100,000 other people will be trying to get on them all at the same time. Last year there were long queues. Consider walking. Central London is pretty compact.

Where is your hotel? What Mkingdom says makes sense. Stay either in your hotel or nearby.
The savoy would be lovely but you'd be looking at around £150 a head at least. That's just for the party. Rooms would be on top of that.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 06:28 AM

Most Londoners avoid the centre on NYE, so you're going to get limited useful advice here, but:

"then the transportation from the fireworks (if we decide to watch them) to the bar will be "easy", right? "

WRONG. Access to the tube from places near the fireworks will be horrible, as everyone wants to hit the riverside tube stations at the same time Indeed some stations - and it's not always possible to predict which - get closed by the police. But Soho and Covent Garden are a pretty painless walk from the river anyway.

Nowhere self-consciously catering to whippersnappers has a decent view of the river. If that's what you want, you need to look for places - like the Savoy, or the top floor of the Park Lane Hilton - that aren't into ageism. Or stay outdoors.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 06:33 AM

A few years ago Mayor 'Red' Ken Livingston launched an American-style New Years' Day parade, full of floats and largely imported American school marching bands.

I know there were two such parades and i saw one a few years back. But apparently no one else saw it as the tabloids the next day said there were more participants than observors. The idea i think was to encourage American bands to come here for tourism and that Brits may like the parade.

It was obviously a flop and i presume the parade is history. Right???
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 06:37 AM

They still have it. It's at some stupidly early time on a day when the entire country is hungover and waiting to go to football or garden centres (depending on the power of the woman in the realtionship).

I don't know anyone who goes to it. I go to football. Mind you I haven't got a garden. Or a wife for that matter.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 06:59 AM

Novotel City South (without checking) sounds like it's to the East/City, so slightly outside the area where all the "action" will be taking place. Savoy will be black tie (perhaps slightly less formal if it has more than one party on offer), perhaps you're a little young, but really it depends on your personal tastes.

The tubes will be completely packed with drunken/rowdy people, bargain on having to walk home... that's why staying where you intend to party is the sensible option.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

M_kingdom i really can't seem to find a hotel with nice reviews at decent prices in westend.

We'll probably book a table at a nice restaurant or club and spend the night there.
Do you have anything nice & contemporary in mind where we could eat and later drink cocktails and dance maybe? (a bar restaurant probably in soho, covent garden etc?)
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 07:53 AM

What do you call a "decent price"? I'd be surprised if restaurants/bars will offer the same all night service as a hotel would (quite simply, I doubt they're paying the staff enough).

I'm afraid that restaurant/bars on new years eve isn't something I'm very up on as I usually make a point of being away over the festive period... where I will spend my time in the hotel and whatever they have to offer, I will take.

A reservation is a must if you want to go somewhere half decent, and now I'd imagine is very much the deadline for booking it up. It all comes down to budget... what's the most you'll pay for all six?
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 08:11 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Your hotel is On Southwark Bridge Rd - which is south of the river. Getting there to/from places on the north side will be easiest by walking - but it will be a hike. It is a great location for Borough Market and such - but for New Years Eve, maybe not so much.

Try to avoid the tube at all costs . . .

W/o knowing your per person budget it is hard to give you any sort of NYE recommendations . . . .
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 12:53 AM
Original Poster

For NYE i think our budget could be about 80pounds/person. Of course if we find something really special that we would like to do, obviously we would pay more!
Decent prices for hotels is around 150-170€/night. I know it's not that much for London hotels but on previous trips i have booked very nice hotels for 140€/night that's why now i can't find anything. (i'll keep trying though...
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 02:01 AM

There’s loads of great pubs in the area. Borough High St has several, and there about a gazillion restaurants in and around Borough Market – all of which will be doing something special.

You could try and get a ticket for the George – the only pub owned by the National trust which would be an atmospheric place to spend NYE, or the Anchor is nice too.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 09:53 AM

I had asked previously on this site about the NYE river/dinner cruises could this group weigh in on that option? Good for fireworks? I know it is a little pricey but if the city is crazy is it a better option?
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 01:56 PM
psulli

We found a good deal at the Bailey hotel near the Gloucester Tube...try them...go to the website and see what you can find...good luck

Old Nov 5th, 2006, 05:14 PM

christine27

if you are staying in the Southwark area then it would actually be easy for you to walk down the river to see the fireworks as its nearby but it will be very crowded - if you could find a decent place to eat/drink in the same area (there are options within walking distance) it would save you a lot of transport hassle

Usually the food will be double the price and half the quality of a normal night but then thats the price of going out on NYE

what sort of bar/restaurant do you like? if you tell me what type of vibe you are looking for then i may be able to recommend something or check out options for yourself on this website:
http://www.fluidfoundation.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -