Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London Flight 8:00am Heathrow where to stay?

Jan 16th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Our family is traveling to Europe for a month in July 2006. At the end of our trip we have three nights in London. We depart at 8:00am from Heathrow. A few questions:

1) What time will we need to be at the airport?
2) How early does the tube open?
3) Do alternative trains or buses run early enough?
4) WOuld we be better off booking the room near Heathrwo and traveling into London for the two days?
5) Budget is an issue. We're trying to stay below $130 night for a family of four.
Jan 16th, 2006, 01:51 PM

1) What time will we need to be at the airport? 1.5 hours beforehand for comfort
2) How early does the tube open? No idea, stay at a hotel nearby and there will be shuttle buses
3) Do alternative trains or buses run early enough? Yes if yuo stay at near by hotel
4) WOuld we be better off booking the room near Heathrwo and traveling into London for the two days? No, I would book one night city centre, and one night at LHR
5) Budget is an issue. We're trying to stay below $130 night for a family of four.Rooms available at Jurys Inn (beside LHR, comfortable, quiet, clean) for 69pounds sterling to sleep three.
Jan 16th, 2006, 01:54 PM

OK - it really doesn't make sense to stay out at LHR to tour London. So at minimum stay the first two nights in central London.

What time to be at the airport - you need to ask your airline that question. 90 mins to 2 hours is often enought, but some airlines recommend/require 3 hours.

You can get to LHR by 6 a.m. several ways - by Express train from Paddington, by tube, byy car service. it all depends on how early you are willing to get up.

If you want to sleep in til 5 or 5:30, then you'll have to saty near the airport the last night.

Now -- about your budget. $130 is only about £72 and that is not very much for a London hotel quad or family room. Even Priceline wouldn't be a slam dunk since you'd have to book 2 rooms.
Jan 16th, 2006, 01:57 PM

oops - sorry about the typos . . .
Jan 16th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

After several hours of searching I've found that to be the case! I have a few B&B family run hotels that look pretty decent in that range and travel lodge with two rooms. Priceline didn't work last night so I'll try again in three days. Thanks for the advice. I think we'll proceed with the two nights in London and the ;ast night at Heathrow.
Jan 16th, 2006, 02:35 PM

Just in case you don't already know this - Don't just jump on priceline until after you've studied biddingfortravel.com. It will give you a LOT of help re bidding strategies and what hotels are currently being won.
Jan 16th, 2006, 02:47 PM
P_M

I have a similar situation where I will be on an 8am flight from LHR. The tube is not a good option because the first one will get to you LHR at 6:32, and I was told to arrive 2 hours before flight time. You could stay somewhere near Paddington Station and take the Heathrow Express. That is a 15 minute train from Paddington to LHR and it starts running around 5am, so you could take the 5:40am train and still get to LHR by 5:55.

Jan 16th, 2006, 02:50 PM

Your two nights London, one night Heathrow plan doesn't sound bad. And since budget is an issue, on that last day before your flight, suggest you have lunch in town and pick up sandwiches, fruit, snacks, at Marks & Spencer or similar to take with you for a light meal that night in your hotel room. Once you're out at an inexpensive Heathrow hotel (without a car), you're pretty much limited to the hotel restaurant, and those usually a) offer limited menus and b) aren't the best value for money.
FWIW, I've stayed at the Novotel at Heathrow for about your target rate and while it's nothing memorable, it was ok for spending the night before a morning flight.
OTOH, if you find a decent and appealing B&B/hotel in London that's in your price range, you might, in the end, prefer to stay there all three nights and gird yourself for a very early morning departure for Heathrow (for a longhaul non EU flight in coach, suggest you get there at least two hours ahead of time).
Jan 16th, 2006, 04:28 PM

We stayed at a fairly new Holiday Inn at LHR about 2 years ago. I can't remember how much it was, but it was clean and comfortable and had a resturant in it. The shuttle bus will take you to the terminal or you can take a taxi.