London first time - logistics help???

Old Apr 7th, 2003, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London first time - logistics help???

I've picked up some great tips on this site for our first trip to London. I'm curious about two items, and would appreciate some suggestions:
1. to get from Heathrow airport to a downtown hotel, I see options ranging from cab, metro, private driver. Cost will be a factor, but don't want to have difficulty getting around in a strange city. What can you suggest for us (family of four-2 parents, 2 teenagers).
2. Thought we might get a good overview of the city with a tour that first afternoon - what are the hop on hop off tours i see mentioned? (My husband has "bad knees" and we will need to limit his time walking each day - would this help with that?)

These may sound like pretty basic things to you seasoned travelers, but I feel like there are a million details to think thru and am thankful for any good input! Thanks!
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 08:47 AM

With a group of 4 , one of whom has bad knees, a private driver is a good buy. If you're coming from the US, you'll be tired and jet-lagged, and having someone like Ray meet you at the gate and shepherd you and your stuff right to the hotel door just can't be beat.

The hop-on-hop-off tours will indeed help you get oriented and since they stop right at the door of several attractions, they'll save on walking and hiking around in the tube (not metro) stations, also. Some people say you'll fall asleep if you take a big ride on your first day, but I'm one of those who finds it very helpful to be out in the fresh air and sunshine.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 08:47 AM

I've only taken the Tube from Heathrow into the city. It does put a strain on the body (carrying suitcases and waslking up and down stairs) and should be used only if you are quite hardy. The London tube is easy to navigate and can be boarded directly at Heathrow.

I have used the Big Bus tour www.bigbus.co.uk and liked it very much. Remember there are three different tours, so you have to decide which part of town you want to see the most. But the tickets are good for 24 hours (and I think the Red tour offers a free Thames River cruise with it).
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 08:51 AM
AC

Hi:
Traveled with Mom last October to London.

Use the private Driver (Ray Skinner) and the hop on/hop off was great.

My mother's walking is limited too so this was a great option.

Have a great time!!
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 09:28 AM

One piece of advice.. with bad knees (I have one!) stay off the tube. So many stairs, so few escalators. Besides, with 4, taxis are economical and little mini-tours. Ask the cabbie a question and let him go. They will tell you more than you want to know (and call you "love" in the process).

The hop-on hop-off bus is GREAT for the first afternoon. Ride on top for the best view (I know, but these stairs are worth it). And you do get a Thames cruise on the Big Bus tour. If you are going to the Tower, take the Big Bus to the Embarkment station and take the boat to the Tower.

Finally, I thought the London Eye was a great way to get London perspective from a bird's eye view.

You will love London.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 09:49 AM

Definitely FORGET the tube with a bad knee as even if they say they have escalators--they are either NOT working or only going in one direction--so it does NOT help you.....And the tube is HORRID with a bad knee- I have one too!

Go with a taxi while in LONDON...

FROM THE AIRPORT-I would use a car service definitely!!! We do that all the time when we arrive from the states...

The hop on/off bus is a great overview of London- SIT upstairs if you can do the steps as it is open and you will see everything unobstructed...(unless it is raining).

Here are some other car services besides Ray Skinner- in case he is booked:

1.Tel: +44 (0) 207 498 5600
Fax: +44 (0) 732 5964
Web: www.citytransfers.com or www.apc2000.co.uk

2.Eddie Manning

Telephone: 07970 761 505
From USA dial: 011 44 7970 761 505
http://www.limo.co.uk

[email protected]

With 4 people , it would be advisable to reserve a van--you would not be able to get all your luggage in a regular car....Price is NOT bad at all....
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 10:32 AM

Eliz,

Reported to be the cheapest & yet reliable car service is Swiss Cottage cars. They have no website so you have to phone as follows

011 44 20 7431 2700 from the US
or from uk 020 7431 2700

As to the tour bus, keep in mind you don't HAVE to hop on and off, you can just take the ride and get your bearings.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful input. One follow up question ...... sounds like the private car service is most recommended
to get from the airport to hotel.
Is it much better than just grabbing a
taxi? If so, why?
Thanks again.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 10:57 AM

Private car is better than a taxi bcs of space for 4 people plus luggage. Also, selected car services (Ray Skinner's is one) are cheaper than a taxi. If you are a jet-lagged family of 4 with luggage, this is no time to begin exploring the tube.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 01:39 PM

To clarify on Lois' answer, the car service charges a flat fee vs a cab which runs on a meter. As traffic is usually heavy, the meter price is almost always more than the flat fare. Also, you will stand in a queue for a cab vs having someone waiting for you as you come out of baggage claim with a sign.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 02:07 PM

Plus the car service will have a VAN for you rather than a taxi-- and you will have much more room for you and your suitcases.....

And DITTO on the meter on the taxi- you do NOT want to pay to get stuck in London rush hour traffic...
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 02:59 PM

The line for a cab can be very, very long. Last time I waited in line for a long time then got a cab with a driver who was smoking a cigar. He would not put it out even though we were traveling with children. That was the only time in many years we had not arranged a car to pick us up. NOthing like having a driver with your name on a sign waiting for you after a transatlantic flight. Well worth it and with 4 people it is probably cost effective.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 09:48 PM

Choice of transport depends on where your hotel is (and how much luggage you bring). If you stick to one medium (or smaller) wheeled suitcase per person, pick a hotel close to a station (which you want anyway), and avoid rush hour, the tube works fine to get from Heathrow. Our last trip we had a couple of 80-year olds along and they were fine with the tube. There are also hotel express busses that have routes by major hotels. Taxi might be "luggage challenged" with four people. Car service is definitely a reasonable option, especially if the knees are a pain (Heathrow has lots of walking in any case, and the tube is more yet).

The hop-on bus tours are best in summer, when the frequency of busses is high, so you don't have long waits. I'm neutral on using them; though some people clearly like them. A transit pass and getting familiar with the bus and tube system will let you explore too, but without the commentary.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 06:20 AM

Eliz,
we are in the process of planning our mid June trip to England with three teenagers. I'll look forward to hearing about the itinerary you've chosen.
Can someone tell me about Ray's Car Service.
Thanks
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 06:41 AM

sharonkaye:

Ray Skinner's website is www.london-transfers.com. We used his service in January and it was great. Picked us up at baggage claim and then at the hotel on the way back. However, this service is slightly more expensive than Swiss Cottage - mclaurie gave their phone number in an earlier post.

We used Ray just because we could get a reservation online, whereas with Swiss Cottage you have to call, since they don't have a website.

People on these boards have been happy with both services.

Have fun,
Karen