Notices

layover on way to jnb

Old Jan 30th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
layover on way to jnb

I am going from NYC to jnb in Feb. and have a 10 hour layover in london before i connect to jnb. Any suggestions what to do for that 10 hrs? I will also post this on the europe board, but I figured other safari goers have dealt with this as well
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 03:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you can take the tube into London say Piccadilly Circus, get out walk around have lunch and back to the airport in plenty of time.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 04:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had dozens of layovers in Europe, and several in London, and I agree, take the train into the city (maybe the Express instead of the tube) and spend it in London. Ten hours is too long to spend at Heathrow.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 06:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In Picadilly Circus you can get the double decker bus tour. You'll get to see all the highlights of London. If you still have more time you can check out the Tower of London. The bus tour and a meal will probably fill up most of your time though. You can hop on and off the bus to see the sights. I remember Westminister Abbey as being pretty cool - it's right near Big Ben too.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 06:54 PM
santharamhari

if you are in Piccadilly, get yourself some chocolate at Le maison du chocolat.....too good to pass up

Hari

Old Jan 31st, 2007, 04:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We also have a 9 hour layover...because we are changing airlines (Air Canada to Ethiopian Air)in London our bags are not checked through...what can we do with the bags while we have lunch in London?
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 04:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello,

You have two options for your bags -- you can either check them in early or leave them in the left luggage area and pick them up later. You'll need to check with your second airline to see how early you can check them in -- if you can do this right after you arrive I'd recommend it, as it means less to worry about when you're coming back from the city.

if your airlines are in different terminals and you decide to leave them in the left luggage area, make sure you leave them in the terminal of your SECOND airline so you don't end up having to go back to your arriving terminal to pick them up before checking in.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 04:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Hari,

I love Maison du Chocolat! They do tastings as well which are expensive but very, very yummy!

Cheers,
Julian
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In Picadilly Circus you can get the double decker bus tour. what is the best way to get there fromj lhr? I have never been in london for more then a layover. so please explain. Where do i get tickets for the tour?
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 05:54 AM
santharamhari

Hi Julian,

Just eaten dinner. Now you are going to make me raid the fridge for a sugar binge........or there's fortnum and Maison literally across the street? i love their little chocolate thins(F&M). They used to have an assortment box of dark chocolate thins with flavors like violet, coffee, earl grey (those are the only ones in my memory....meaning the other flavors are forgetable?)-cant remember

Cheers,
Hari

Old Jan 31st, 2007, 05:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Either the Train/Underground right from Heathrow or take a cab. The underground is much cheaper but will take you almost an hour w/ stops etc.

You will be able to get a ticket on the bus or right near the bus. I believe you can get on the bus at any stop and purchase a ticket as you get on. You don't need to get them in advance either. Google "London double decker bus tour." You can pretty much just show up in Pic Circus look around for the big red bus and hop on.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 06:07 AM
santharamhari

sorry....typo.....that's Mason in Fortnum & Mason.....

H

Old Jan 31st, 2007, 03:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Hari,

Personally, I love the little F&M violet and rose cream truffles, with a little sugared violet or rose petal on top. Actually, the sugared violet and rose petals aren't bad on their own.

The best Earl Grey chocolate (sadly for British chocolate makers) I ever had was at Maison Freres in Paris, though Charbonnel and Walker (chocolatiers to the Queen) also have very good Earl Grey chocolate truffles. Their shop is in the Prince's Arcade off Piccadilly, I believe.

I wish I lived across the street from Fortnum and Mason!

Cheers,
Julian
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 03:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Errr....on second thought, I'm glad I don't live across the street from Fortnum and Mason -- my grocery bill would be so high I'd never be able to afford to go on safari!

Cheers,
Julian
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 05:25 PM
santharamhari

Julian, i will keep an eye out and my stomach empty for those.....

Old Feb 1st, 2007, 10:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
see my reply to layover in London