London Eye - Worth it?

Search

London Eye - Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2007, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London Eye - Worth it?

What is the general consensus on the London Eye? In the past I have heard that it is overpriced and not worthwhile, but on the other hand, I have seen quite a few people who list it on their "must-see/do" list.

I have an afternoon/evening in London (just stopping through on my way to Paris). I really want to get some shopping in and I'm trying to decide whether to take some time out of shopping to go on the Eye. I have been to London before so I don't need to go see any of the major sites, but I thought the Eye might be a unique way to see the city.

In your opinion, is it worth the cost and the time? (Keeping in mind that I am a shopoholic and am really looking forward to shopping in London...). Thanks!
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 07:17 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I really think "is it worth it?" questions are unanswerable.

For some the Eye is a must, for others - not so much. Me - I've been on it 5 or 6 times (the last time a champagne flight w/ 8 friends to clebrate several milestones)

Whether it is a Must for you - only you can say. BTW - I don't personally think it is at all over priced for its wow factor . . . . .
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 07:23 AM

A brief yet definitive answer: it depends on the weather. Absolutely makes no sense if rainy/cloudy and you are unlikely to get any decent view. On the other hand, the view can be quite nice, esp on a sunny early summer early evening.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 07:24 AM

...though you can enjoy similar view of the London FREE of charge from other spots, like Primrose Hill, Greenwich or Millenium Bridge.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 07:26 AM

It certainly offers a unique viewpoint.

However, you mentioned the word "shopping" three times in your post so I somehow think I already know the answer to your question.

OK, gonna prove me wrong????
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 07:27 AM

To me an absolute must - one of the very first things to do - thrilling ride perched above the Thames and great way to orient yourself to the relief map of London stretched out below - all the famous landmarks clearly visible. Take a London map with you to pinpoint Hyde Park, Greenwich, Canary Wharf, etc.

And there are usually no real lines in my experience so just show up.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 07:32 AM

Went with grandma and 13 year old daughter. She loved it. Grandma and I were unimpressed. I prefer getting the feel of the city from the double decker city bus tour and hopping on and off when I want.
Have fun
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 08:06 AM

<<< though you can enjoy similar view of the London FREE of charge from other spots >>>

No you can't the places mentioned are either out on the edge of Central London or are at low level.

What the Eye offers is unique - a view of Central London FROM Central London

Despite visiting London for 20 years it was the only spot that made me understand how London is put together.

BTW try the Discovery flight - you get a guide who can tell you what you are looking at
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 09:23 AM

You can shop MOST ANYWHERE, however what you CAN see from the London Eye is priceless ;(if you indeed you go to London to SEE London). Just my own opinion. Well worth it on a clear day. Halfpint
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 09:31 AM

Halfpint, I wish I thought this person was listening.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 10:12 AM

Well I am liastening and you have me convinced! Weather permiting of course.

thereyet
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 10:41 AM

Are you still allowed to climb up the Monument? Or the inside of the dome at St. Paul's? Pretty nice views from there.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 12:52 PM

I loved it. Have fun!
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 01:02 PM

I climbed the Dome at St Pauls recently and it's quite a climb - three stages if i remember right - the final one on ladder like steps but the view is amazing and worth it all.

actually from the first stage i think you're inside the dome and can hear the uncanny echo-ability there where someone whispers across the dome and you hear it.

Monument i climbed long ago and not nearly so high i believe.

But even St Paul's can't match the view from the Eye IMO.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

I'm listening, don't worry! I asked the question because I wanted to know what everyone's opinions were on the London Eye. I wouldn't have asked if I didn't value all your thoughts! While I am really excited to shop part of me feels that I will be missing out if I don't do the London Eye - this is what I wanted to know. I thank all of you for taking the time to respond to my question - I am now leaning towards taking a ride on the Eye. If I ride it later on (like around 8pm) will I still have a good view (if its a clear night)?
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 01:45 PM

I have "done' the London Eye during the day, and in the evening...both times the weather was fine. Breathtaking in the evening just as it is getting dark. I say do it....buy a souvenir after the ride (It's still shoppinf, isn't it?)
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 01:49 PM

when are you going? If in the next couple of months - it will still be broad daylight at 8 p.m. . . . . .
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 02:31 PM

I thought the Eye was a big so-what. We only went because of our kids. Don't remember being able to see the sights of London with any great specificity from that view.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 02:42 PM

&quot;<i>Don't remember being able to see the sights of London with any great specificity from that view. </i>&quot;

I can understand maybe not enjoying it - but not being able to see the sites?? That simply doesn't make sense.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 02:52 PM

We liked the Eye a lot - we rode just at sunset and it was lovely.

We also climbed the dome at St. Paul's. The Eye's advantage IMO is that it is right on the Thames which really makes for nice views. Also, climbing St. Paul's isn't cheap (although less than the Eye).

Here's a link to our London pictures, and you can see the ones that we took of the views from the Eye and from St. Paul's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -