London Eye - am or pm

Jan 25th, 2007, 03:01 AM
Original Poster

London Eye - am or pm

Hello

Can anyone advise the best time to go on the London Eye ?

We were thinking a morning flight but now are tossing up over taking a flight just before/on sunset.

Any suggestions, is a guide worth the extra cost also ?

Thanks
Jan 25th, 2007, 03:11 AM

When it's clear and you can see something. Time of day (except possibly sunset) isn't the main factor.

As for a guide - it's a cheap way of getting a ticket for a particular time so you don't have to queue and for someone unfamilar with London (and quite a few who are) it's probably very useful
Jan 25th, 2007, 04:23 AM

I would only do it around sunset if the sky is clear, otherwise your photos will be dark. If it is cloudy, which is often London, do it around noon to maximize the light. My photos came out rather dark.
Jan 25th, 2007, 05:49 AM
tod

freddofrog - I think for a first-timer you have to pick anytime during daylight hours. I have done the trip three or four times now and honestly can't see the point of viewing a whole lot of lit up buildings which is all you will see at night.
The trip is over so quickly so maybe a sunset one would be rather nice and you will still be able to make out the points of interest below and ahead of you on the horizon.
The queue moves pretty quickly so get your tickets about an hour before you intend to go up - even if they are marked for a specific time we have never had a problem joining the line and go straight on board.
Jan 25th, 2007, 05:54 AM

I don't think hiring a guide is necessary. Just buy the spiral-bound picture book at the ticket office. It points out all the visible landmarks from horizon to horizon.
Jan 25th, 2007, 09:24 AM

Whatever you decision, don't worry about the long queues. They go really fast.
Jan 25th, 2007, 09:45 AM

Don't book tickets ahead of time. Time of day isn't nearly as important as weather conditions.. If the weather is fine then flying just at dusk is probably best - you start up in daylight and land 30 mins with the sun down.

But if it is fair in the morning and heavy rain is due in - then I'd go when it is clear.