London Eye/Tower of London

Old Mar 24th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London Eye/Tower of London

Hello! A couple of questions-
Has anyone done the London Eye Discovery Tour (with a guide pointing things out)-- is it worth it?

Tower of London - Yeoman Warder Tours-- I can't find any info on the website on when these are, how much they cost, if you have to book in advance-- does anyone know where to get this info?

Thanks!
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 02:29 PM

1) I wouldn't pay to use a tour guide on the Eye - but then I know what most everything in view is. But there are panels that tell you what things are and you can also buy a very inexpensive guide book with the same info and more.

2) The Yeoman Warder tours are free and you can't book them. They run all through the day. A good strategy is - when you enter the Tower first thing in the morning bupass the Yeoman Warder standing on the bridge assembling a group, and walk straight to the Crown Jewels. They get very crowded later in the day (like after that YW tour ends) and you have to queue for a long time. But right after opening time they are essentially deserted and you won't have to stand in line. Then after you have viewed the Jewels return to near the entrance and hook up w/ the next YW tour group.
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 10:01 AM

I wouldn't bother with the Eye at all. It's overpriced and really quite disappointing...
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 10:10 AM

The London eye is wonderful...buy the guide though...and on a clear day
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 10:14 AM

I agree that the paper guide you can purchase for the London Eye should be sufficient. We loved riding the Eye and seeing so much of London!
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 06:04 AM

Another tip, you can buy your entrance tickets to the Tower of London at the nearby tube station, Tower Hill. Saves you getting in the huge line outside the Tower.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 06:34 AM

We were just on the Eye a few weeks ago and it was great!!
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 06:57 AM

Hi

You can get a fantastic view of London by taking the lift all the way to the top of the Westminster Cathedral (not Westminster Abbey). This was in 2002 so check if it's still operating. From memory it didn't cost much and I felt like I did something a little different (I was the only one up there and yes it was a little spooky).
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 07:14 AM

If you're going to visit some other paid sites the same day as the Tower, you might want to check out londonpass.com

It's usually not a very good deal (unless you get a 2-for-1 price, which they offer frequently), but once you've used it for the Tower - and it allows you to bypass the ticket lines - the other things you do that day can be virtually free.

If you DO get the Pass, save the Catamaran Cruises for the end of the day (after most of the other attractions are closed).
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 07:51 AM

janis's advice to visit the crown jewels first at the Tower is the best, we have done the same and it worked out quite well - we even went around the main jewel case twice before heading out to the Yoeman Warder Tour. Also, just so you know, joining that tour is the only way in which visitors are permitted inside the Chapel of St. Peter ad Vincula at the Tower, so if you want to see it be sure and hook up with one of the "Beefeaters", who, we discovered, are all retired military personnel who must have 20 years service with a spotless record to qualify for the job. The Chapel is the last stop on the tour and while it is free, a small tip to the guide is in order as you leave.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 08:39 AM
tod

jonesie, Of course you must ride the London Eye simply because it's there!
As you can see diffent opinions - so you may love it like the majority who do go on the 30 minute journey. I have been more than once but never at night so thats for next time in London!
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 09:27 AM

Let me chime in on going to see the Crown Jewels first thing. We were one of the first people in once the Tower opened, and headed straight to the Crown Jewels. We had the jewels all to ourselves for at least 30 minutes.

I must have circled the jewels a dozen times, checking them out from every angle - even walking backwards on the moving platform so I could study a particular piece for a while. (My grandfather was a jeweler, so I have a keen interest in all things sparkly )

When we went back later, it was mobbed and impossible to get more than a cursory look.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 11:31 AM

One more vote against the Eye.

Not saying it isn't worth doing, but if you only have a few days, there are so many things that are much better.

Keith