Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London experts: Thameslink or Greenline to Luton Airport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 2001, 08:45 AM
kit

I have a 5:45 pm flight out of Luton on a Thursday. I suppose I'll be coming from South Kensington, since that's where my hotel is, though they'll have certainly made me check out by then.<BR><BR>My flight is on easyjet, and they offer a discounted fare on Greenline. Price isn't really a factor since they both seem cheap. I'd prefer to base my decision on speed and convenience.<BR><BR>So..which is more convenient? The Thameslink to Luton (which I'm guessing is like a commuter rail service akin to the Metro North in NY/CT) or the Greenline, which is a motor coach -- I think.<BR><BR>Obviously, you can tell I've never been. Your expert advice is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Old Dec 23rd, 2001, 09:07 AM
Gregory

Hi Kit,<BR><BR>I would take the Picaddilly Tube to Kings Cross , transfer to KC Thameslink and get the train to the airport station then a free shuttle bus as going by Greenline coach may be subject to traffic delays.<BR><BR>Enjoy london and have a Merry Christmas!!

Old Dec 23rd, 2001, 09:07 AM
Ben Haines

I don't think the Green Line coach service runs all night. But I've just checked, and the Thameslink local railway trains run from Kings Cross Thameslink station at 0145 and 0341 and take fifty minutes to Luton Airport. They also run from Blackfriars station and take an hour. In fact EasyJet allow check in up to an hour before take off, so you'd manage with a taxi to Blackfriars and then the train at 0331 to Luton. But if your luggage is reasonable you might ask your hotel to find the time of the last underground train from South Kensington, use phone 0845 7 484950 to look for a suitable train from Blackfriars (probably 0035), and camp the night at Luton airport.<BR><BR>For convenience I'd book a last night at the hotel, taxi to Blackfriars, and take the 0331 train. If you want to object that that's not in fact convenient I'll agree. Sorry.<BR><BR>Please write again before Boxing Day if I can help further. Welcome to Europe.<BR><BR>Ben Haines<BR>

Old Dec 23rd, 2001, 09:14 AM
Ben Haines

Sorry: I read that pm as am. No problem at all. District Line to Blackfriars, up to the Thameslink platform (bit of a haul with bags), and an hour to Luton. Or to have fewer stairs at Gloucester Road station take the lift to the Piccadilly Line, go to Kings Cross St Pancras, and look for signs for the 200 yard corridor to Kings Coss Thameslink station, whence fifty minutes to Luton: trains every quarter hour.<BR><BR>Ben Haines

Old Dec 23rd, 2001, 12:17 PM
KIT

OK. So no votes for the Greenline, which seems easier in that there's only a tube to bus connection whereas the Thameslink is a tube to train to shuttle bus conncection, which sounds like more trouble. But I will trust you!<BR><BR>I don't need reservations for the Thameslink, do I? It's just a cram 'em in commuter train, right?<BR><BR>Corrections are appreciated. I do trust trains more than buses, especially at this time of the day.

Old Dec 23rd, 2001, 12:32 PM
Gregory

Hi Kit,<BR><BR>no you do not need reservations for the Thameslink although be sure to get your ticket before getting on the train as if you get stopped without one you are liable for a &pound;10 (I think?)Penalty Fare as well. The journey should not be too bad in the early afternoon as you will have to be at Luton well before the evening rush hour begins. Easyjet recommend checking in at least 1 hour prior to departure and check in desks close 30 minutes prior to departure

Old Dec 23rd, 2001, 03:08 PM
kit

Thanks for the advice, Gregory and Ben. Happy Holidays!

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 02:44 PM
Kit

Gregory and Ben,<BR><BR>Hoping to clarify this: I can catch the Thameslink from either the Blackfriars or Kings Crossing tube stations, right? My question here is, is Blackfriars easier since it's smaller? There are a number of posts chronicling people's problems with Kings Cross.<BR><BR>After I get on the Thameslink train and head to the Luton Airport stop, I get on a shuttle that takes me from the train station to the terminal, right? Is it near the property? I am trying to figure out how much time to allow.<BR><BR>Thank you again for all your help. My hotel isn't exactly the type with high-level concierge assistaance!<BR><BR>I am loving this city, btw.<BR><BR>Kit

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 02:45 AM
kit

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 03:32 AM
Alec

You can take Thameslink train from Eith Blackfriars or King's Cross. I'd say Blackfriars because the rail station adjoins the tube station, whereas at Kings Cross, Thameslink station (not the same thing as Mainline station) is some 200 yds away across Gray's Inn Road. The train stops at Luton Airport Parkway, about a mile from the terminal and linked by free shuttle bus.

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 01:44 PM
beth anderson

Hi, <BR><BR>Thameslink is fine, just be sure to give yourself about 35 hours to get to Luton in advance of the flight- Easyjet Will Not Wait. <BR><BR>I learned this the hard way this time, as I missed the flight by 15 mins (was there 15 mins before departure, they CLOSE the gates 30 mins before departure) and had given myself 2 hours from Paddington to get there. Be aware that from Kings Cross it is a 15-20 minute walk to Thameslink, some of the trains are locals vs. express (I had the express, supposedly) and the shuttlebus at the train station to Luton (no, the train stop is NOT at the airport) will wait about 75 minutes for each and every last person to get on the shuttlebus to go to the airport.<BR><BR>I exaggerate on timing of course but GADS I didn't expect giving myself 2 hours from Paddington was going to cause me to miss a flight.<BR><BR>The Ibis hotel (allegedly across the street when you ask, but, indeed across the street and down the road 3/4 of a mile) is clean enough and cheap however (50 pounds). so in case you miss out...<BR><BR>heavy sigh.<BR><BR>Beth