Reload this Page >

London Commuting Question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 1998, 07:14 AM
Barry

Message: Next summer we are going to be staying in Balcombe West Sussex. We are concerned about the distance and cost of getting into London from there. There will be 4 of us and we hope to go to London several times during the week. We are looking for the cheapest and easiest way to make the trip. I have gotten some information about the London Visitor Travelcard but I am told the buses that honor the card do not come out as far as Balcombe. We do not you know how far out they do go. Is there a train/bus that comes near there that would make a conection with one of these buses? Thank you. <BR> <BR> <BR>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- <BR>

Old Nov 16th, 1998, 09:27 AM
Nigel Doran

Hello <BR>I would not take a bus, but take the train. Trains go from Balcombe often, and are operated by connex and by Thameslink. {All our train companies are now privatised.} <BR>The journey takes about 40 minutes, or longer if you have to change. <BR>Trains are more expensive before 0930 or sometimes 1000, but you need to check with the ticket office. <BR>If you are travelling into London often, say every day for a week, then ask about a weekly ticket. They might exist, but I am not sure. You can try to link to connex or Thameslink via the internet. Railtrack has a site - timetables.railtrack.co.uk- which you can look at for further info. <BR>Ask locally if there are buses, which might be express ones and could be cheaper, but bear in mind that they might take longer given the traffic. <BR>connex {it has no capitcal c!} trains go into Victoria, which is central. Thameslink trains go into London Bridge, which is still central. Perhaps that difference is reflected in ticket prices?

Old Dec 1st, 1998, 03:24 PM
Barry

(Above post continued) I have been advised that due to the rural location of our condo we should plan to rent a car. Therefore I have figured that the cheepest way to get back and forth to the City is to drive to Morden or Croyden and take the train or tube the rest of the way. Both of these stations are in the Visitor Travelcard zone and we will save about $40 on the 4 of us. Does this sound like a reasonable plan?? Will there be parking near the stations? The routeplanner says the trip is about 25 miles and will take 50 minutes, does that sound right?

Old Dec 1st, 1998, 06:48 PM
Jerry

Hello Barry, <BR> <BR>I stayed at a timeshare about 3 miles from Balcombe, about 2 year ago. The train station there is great. Its like having a private railroad. I do think you will need a car to get too and from the rail station, but the train is the very best way to go to London. Look into the Britrail pass. You must purchase it here in the U.S. E-mail me and I'll give you a tip that might save you quite a bit using Britrail. <BR> <BR>Jerry <BR>

Old Dec 1st, 1998, 08:00 PM
Nigel Doran

<BR>Hello <BR>Morden is at the very end of the northern line, and should take about 35-40 mins. to get into the centre of London, say, Leicester Square {also on the northern line tube.} <BR>Croyden is on a mainline railway, but once again is not too far away at all. <BR>However, check that you have the right zonage on your card, because the further out you are, the higher the zone, the higher the prices. Don't get caught in the wrong zone with the wrong pass! <BR>Now, as for parking. Many people drive from the far suburbs or from really out of town and then park at the stations, so it could well be busy. Also, parking is hardly ever free in London, so I would say more information is needed here for you. Some stations do have their own car parks, whilst at others, commuters have to clog up the local streets, many of which have their own parking schemes for residents. So, you see, I think you need to investigate further. Perhaps the place you need to ask is your hotel/timeshare who might be able to give you the details or at least the numbers for the railway stations.

Old Dec 2nd, 1998, 03:31 PM
Ben Haines

<BR>I've just phoned Rail travel enquiries on 0345 58 59 60 (from the US, 044 345 58 59 60) and they say that there's a weekly rail card at 65 pounds 70 prence that gives you Balcombe to London on any train, and zones One and Two (which means busses, tube trains and local trains about four miles in any direction from Picadilly Circus). The ticket is valid on any train, including early morning trains. There is a similar ticket for one day only at 14 pounds 90: it may be valid only from 0930 -- sory, I forgot to ask. <BR> <BR>Please write again if I can help further. Welcome to London. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines <BR> <BR>