Reload this Page >

Favorite restaurant in London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 1998, 07:34 AM
jennifer

Can anyone recommend some great restaurants to dine at in London during the holiday season?

Old Nov 22nd, 1998, 03:41 PM
Karen

The Ivy in the theatre district

Old Nov 23rd, 1998, 02:03 AM
Neil

Hi Jennifer <BR> <BR>The Ivy's great but you need to book ahead (0044 171 836 4751). Also try the Caprice, Kensington Place (noisy), Clarke's (great food, set menu), Leiths (formal but super food and wine), Sugar Club (Pacific Rim cuisine). Also some great quasi-pubs like the Engineer, the Eagle, The Lansdowne and the Ladbroke Arms which are much cheaper and always fun (though you may need to wait in-line. Avoid the Conran group restarants - very overrated in general. Suggest you get a copy of the Zagat's or Harden guide (both good, maybe Harden's has the edge for London at least !) when you get over here. <BR>cheers - Neil

Old Nov 23rd, 1998, 04:48 AM
Prakash Megha

Depends on your price range. At the low end of the market there is The Stock Pot in St Christophers Place, there are lots of other restaurents there too. Mid range, there is Wagamama's on Lexingoton Ave. A great experience. At the top end there is the Oxo Tower, Quaglino's and Mezzo's. All are v, cool and sophisticated. <BR>

Old Nov 23rd, 1998, 06:46 AM
Kat

These days London is chock-a-block with terrific restaurants. My favorite is Bibendum in Knightsbridge . . . Conran's first high-foodie temple. I prefer it to his other establishments (Le Pont de la Tour, Quaglino, etc.) because it is more intimate. I expect the cooking is better, too, since the chefs aren't serving 500 people each night. Make reservations in advance. <BR> <BR>At the very top of the restaurant pile in London are Aubergine, Le Tante Claire and La Gavroche -- a tip on these: lunch is infinitely more affordable than dinner! <BR> <BR>

Old Nov 25th, 1998, 04:55 AM
Neil

A word of warning on Aubergine and Tante Claire. Gordon Ramsey, the chef from Aubergine has now moved to his own premises in what was Tante Claire. Food is good just now. There is a new chef at Aubergine, also good but GR is better (but pricier). Personally I think Le Gavroche is over-rated but I absolutely agree with the suggestion to go for lunch. Very good value (at least compared to dinner !) <BR>

Old Nov 27th, 1998, 07:48 PM
Diane

It's been several years since I was there, but I recommend Cafe Graffiti in Hampstead. Wonderful continental cuisine at affordable prices. <BR>

Old Nov 30th, 1998, 02:13 PM
Dick Hardy

Although we haven't been for a while, we would second the recommendation for Clarke's - it's a favorite, although a bit American in atmosphere - Sally Clarke was in California (at Chez Panisse, I believe- and that's a high recommendation) If you go to Ivy, have sticky toffee pudding for dessert. It's totally decadent and people eat at other restaurants and then come to Ivy to have this for dessert. Dick

Old Dec 1st, 1998, 06:56 PM
Jerry

Jennifer, <BR>The smartest thing you can do before going to London is purchase a copy of Cheap Eats in London by by Sandra A. Gustafson ISBN 0-8118-1504-8. They have a ton of great restaurants that tucked away in neat little places that you would never find. Have fun. <BR>Jerry <BR>

Old Dec 2nd, 1998, 06:42 PM
Howard

<BR>For sheer atmosphere, I don't think anything can beat The George Inn, just off Borough High Street in Southwark. It's the oldest existing inn in London (1676), and looks it. Good English food (an oxymoron?) and beer. Featured in Dickens' Little Dorrit. Inexpensive. Enjoy!

Old Dec 2nd, 1998, 08:51 PM
NIGEL DORAN

Bertorelli's on Charlotte Street {which is chockablock with other restaurants and bars} is good. It has a posher upstairs and a lively, good value bistro downstairs. It is very trendy, with a very late-90s feel, and the food is good. Best to make reservations. Nearest tube is Tottenham Court Road. <BR>Also, be on the look-out for early bird menus or set-price menus at the upmarket restaurants. They offer good value, and leave you free to go to a show or hit the town! <BR>N B Always check that service charge is included. Tipping is a real fiasco here, so don't fall into the trap that the restauraunters want you to, that is, adding more gratuity when it is already included. That is my bugbear.

Old Dec 3rd, 1998, 06:52 AM
Jack

Could anybody reccomend a good diner or cafe in London?