London:Citadine Apts

Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London:Citadine Apts

Hi
4 friends of mine are planning a ladies' weekend in London in Dec to celebrate a birthday. Some have been there before, some not. They are looking for low-cost accommodations, though they are just as interested in convenience.

They'd gotten a discounted hotel rate for
about 140 pounds per night for a double.
Someone has told them about a Citadines apt at Trafalgar Square, which is 220 pounds per night that can accommodate all 4 of them (the apt sleeps up to 6). I know Citadines has a decent reputation (at least in Paris); does anyone know their London property (ies)?
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 05:29 AM

Sorry, don't know the Citadines, but 140 pounds is not what I would consider low cost! Have a look at www.londontown.com where they list places like the Radisson Vanderbilt and Baileys from 89 pounds, and the Millenium Knightsbridge (great location on Sloane Street) from 110. Which hotel did they book for 140?
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 06:08 AM

Elaine.

I stayed there in September. The location is fabulous! It was very hard to find a place for 3 or 4 people. I think for 4 people, 220 is not unreasonable. The apart. we were given had a bedroom, a living area, a tiny kitchen, a biggish room with shower and sink and then a toilet in it's own room (a feature I really liked). The bed was a king sized bed, and the sofa in the living room opened into a queen and was quite comfortable.

I can't quite remember how much we paid, because another member of the party was responsible for that particular portion of the trip.

There's one pc in the lobby with free internet access.

I wouldn't recommend the breakfast buffet - you can get something better out for a better price.

It's walking distance to everything we wanted to do - Covent Garden, Picadilly, etc.

I woke up real early on Saturday and tried to go find coffee. Ended up at the train station. GREAT pastries and coffee. Nothinng else was open yet.

Let me know if I can give you any other info.
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 06:29 AM

I'm not a London expert, but based on good recommendations,location and availability of accommodations for 4, we booked 2 adjoining rooms at the Cranley Gardens hotel for 89GBP each during Easter week. This includes continental breakast, and from what I've read, afternoon tea and scones and evening champagne and Hor D'Oeurves.
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

great info so far, thanks
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

note to MFNYC

at tripadvisor.com, there is a recent very negative comment on Cranley Gardens--the words used were "dingy, threadbare, tired" etc

Other comments there were more positive, but that one comment turns me off, I'm afraid.
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 07:43 AM

I did read that one and was a bit concerned but it's actually listed twice on Tripadvisor (under The Cranley & Cranley Gardens). The other listing had about 10 reviews, all very positive (and 1 dated after that bad one) except 1 which had problems with a cancellation (never stayed at the hotel). I already cancelled another hotel, because I saw a few 'consistant' negative comments. I just like to book far in advance because there are 4 of us and we're going during a holiday. My eyes and ears are always open to other possibilities.
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

yes, and now that you mention it, the Cranley and Cranley Gardens might have been confused by the person who posted the negative comment
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 12:17 PM

Elaine,I have stayed at several Citadine apts in London,like the location of Citadines Traflagar Square best. It is almost at the foot of Hungerford's footbridge.

Usually I find good deals from Londontown.com,but last December I booked Citadines T.F.studio through laterooms.com for about 50 pounds per night.

It was nice to buy bread from French Paul's patisserie at Covent Garden and fresh fruits from Borough Market to make one's own breakfast.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

thanks, all