London Chinatown

Nov 22nd, 2003, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

London Chinatown

Where is it? Is it worth a visit? Thanks.
Nov 22nd, 2003, 03:35 PM

It's essentially Gerrard St., near Shaftsbury and Charing Cross.

I'm couldn't tell you if it's worth visiting or not. I can tell you that there are some good little restaurants along there and that it was a very convenient area to eat before a quick walk to the theatre we went to on Haymarket.
Nov 22nd, 2003, 06:26 PM

Don't expect some sort of cultural mecca. It is a small street of restaurants with a couple cheap import stores thrown in. That's about it. Some of the restaurants are really very good, however, and it is a very convenient place for the theatre district.
Nov 23rd, 2003, 09:27 AM

The only reason to go there is to eat really - either a full evening meal or 'dim sum' in the afternoon, or maybe a cake/pastry from one of the Chinese bakeries.

It's very central, close to Shaftsbury Avenue, Picadilly and Soho. It's probably the best area in London to go for good, cheap food.
Nov 23rd, 2003, 11:15 AM

I can definitely echo the sentiment that it's basically restaurants. But I would add that the last time I was there about two years ago the best restaurants (several of them) were actually Vietnamese/Thai instead of Chinese. Well worth the visit for something to eat, otherwise no need.
Nov 24th, 2003, 07:31 AM

imo it's pretty with xmas lights & musicians this time of year - then make a dash to De Hems, the only Dutch pub in London, on Macclesfield Street . . . only 1/2 a block away

hth!