London, Ceremony of the Keys, confused about internation response coupon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read over the instruction about how to get tickets for the Ceremony of the Keys. From the website, it says, I need to enclose:-

" A self-addressed envelope together with the requisite British postage stamps, or a minimum of two 'Coupon-response international'. Please note that American or other non-British stamps are not valid in the UK."

Do I need to enclose on or two coupons for return postage? I am a little confused when the website says "minimum of two 'Coupon-response international'.

Could fodorites who have obtained tickets please let me know if I have to enclose two Coupons for return postage or just one.

I live in Canada and asked Canada post about a "two 'Coupon-response international' all that Canada post is telling me is that I can buy a voucher to mail to the UK and the voucher needs to be exchanged for a UK stamp at a UK post office.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 10:27 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>a minimum of two 'Coupon-response international'.</i>"

The site is pretty clear - you need to enclose two coupons. Nothing to do w/ Canadian regulations - the Tower wants two coupons. It doesn't mention different procedures for Commonwealth countries.

I haven't heard of Canadians getting around that requirement, but maybe it is possible.
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

thanks, janisj I'll enclose two coupons.
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 04:01 AM

I would agree - just enclose two. We're in the States and did that - it worked perfectly.
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 10:29 AM

As an extra note, you might want to try your largest local post office to find the international reply coupons. There's simply not a lot of call for them in my area and I had a hard time finding the darn things. The main office give you a better chance of finding them than a smaller branch office.

You simply put two of the reply coupons in an envelope with a self addressed envelope and your request letter and mail it in. The Tower office will turn your coupons in at their post office for UK postage to return your envelope and ticket to you.

The Ceremony is a lot of fun. Don't be late, and if it's rainy plan on wearing a rain jacket and hood instead of using an umbrella. You're in a tight group so umbrellas don't work well and may not be allowed to be used. Dress warmly... you're outside the entire time.

Have fun!
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 12:31 PM

I agree with the I_R above... the first post office I tried was out "when will you have more ?" "Oh, its been months".

The second looked at me blankly and had no clue.

I finally went to the Regional Distribution Centre and they were helpful AND had a clue AND had them.
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 02:25 PM

Ceremony of Keys might be the only remaining use for IRCs. (the ceremony's a lot of fun, though, and worth the hassle.)
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the feedback. I have sent off a letter with two coupons and I hope I can get tickets.

For anybody who reads this thread and is interested in obtaining tickets for the Ceremony of the Keys, here's a link to their website:-

http://www.hrp.org.uk/TowerOfLondon/...ofthekeys.aspx

As noted above, it maybe difficult to get an coupon response international from some post offices. I too received blank looks when enquiring about the IRCs.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 09:36 AM

I received my tickets today for 30 Apr. yeah! very very fast!!!
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 10:53 AM

I didn't get a blank look, I was told that IRC's hadn't existed for several years! I plan to visit another P.O. today armed with the info from this blog on the topic:

http://greensboring.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10178
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 11:26 AM

You don't need any other site/blog - Go to the post office's very own website.

http://www.usps.com/prices/extra-services-prices.htm
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 12:26 PM

janisj, the link I provided includes that link and more.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 12:47 PM

My point was - use the USPS' own website's info when you go to the PO.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 03:39 PM

And my point was that the blog post I linked to has not only the same USPS link that you provided, but also a link to the USPS's International Mail Manual for its own employees, AND the USPS's toll-free customer service phone number, AND the USPS Product Number for IRCs.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

surfmom, when did you mail your request for tickets. I maybe out of luck, I mailed in my request about 10 days ago and I was hoping for tickets at the end of March.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 08:23 PM

Justshootme, you should be fine. I got mine returned this fall in about 2-3 weeks. I think they suggest requesting about 2 months out.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Iowa_Redhead you gave me some hope when I read your comment earlier today. I received my ticket in the mail today. YIPPEE! Thanks everybody for your help.

janisj in the other thread I'd started about tickets you mention I will receive a hand written ticket. Just wanted to let you know that I got a printed ticket, with my name, and the date and time the ticket is valid. Maybe the tickets have changed.

I've never been to the Ceremony of the Keys and I'm looking forward to it.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 07:41 PM

glad you got them... just realized I never replied. I sent mine in January - so it was within 2 weeks I think. Instead of multiple printed tickets, it is one with 'number to admit' instead.

glad it all worked out : )
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 04:47 AM

Justshootme, yay!

I've been to the ceremony twice and it's a lot of fun. Remember to dress warmly as you're outside the entire time. Also, if it's raining you'll want a jacket with a hood as the group is a bit large and crowded together to try to use an umbrella.