London Breakfast

Search

London Breakfast

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2003, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London Breakfast

I will probably only be able to talk my husband into one traditional breakfast when we are in London this November. He is not a breakfast eater, but I just have to try it at least once.

That being said, could anyone provide a recommendation for a great place to have English breakfast? Since I'll only get this once, I want to try the best!

Thanks!
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 04:33 PM

While I think Simpsons in the Strand is a big joke for dinner..they do serve an English breakfast that is sure to clog an artery or 2, expensive! Or if you are up before 6 on a Friday mornig , try one of the cafs or pubs around Bermondsey MArket while shopping for antiques! If you are staying near South Ken tube..., right across from the Kensington Moat House is a caf that opens at 6 or before and caters to early birds and taxi drivers...and you can have the full Monty, even beans for under 3 GBP!

For a true delight if you are staying anywhere outside of London, yourBnB or country house will overwhelkm you with food !
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 05:28 PM

Tryquot;50 best London breakfast" at http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/f...p?story=338601.
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 06:53 PM

I agree about Simpsons in the Strand -- so very English and traditional.
Also Fortnum and Mason's serves a very nice English breakfast.
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 12:30 AM

Almost anywhere - especially the pubs - around Smithfield market any weekday.Pubs open, with really great breakfasts, from 6.

Coincidentally close to the cardiac section of Bart's hospital, probably the world's oldest continuously-operating hospital.

If you need a "touristy" excuse, visit the William Wallace (Braveheart) memorial on the side of the market. Smithfield was no respecter of species in who was butchered there, and the area doubled as a place of execution as well as a meat market.

Very handy for the Museum of London and for London's genealogical resources if you're ancestor-chasing
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 02:38 AM

the best place for breakfast in Smithfield is Smiths of Smithfield on Charterhouse Street, opposite the meat market.

Or there's a couple of pubs there that serve breakfast and a pint of beer from about 6am onwards for the guys who work in the market - if you can face a beer at that time in the meaning. It's also well off the tourist map so will give you a great taste of real city life.
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 03:03 AM

Another Smithfield recommendation:

The Fox and anchor is my favourite, serves a mean breakfast and is a firm favourite with the staff of Barts (nearby hospital) and the police and firemen, as well as the meat market workers.

here's a picture:

www.pubs.com/foxec1.htm
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 06:41 AM

I also vote for Simpsons.