Search

London markets

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London markets

Hi, been to London many times, but never really done much shopping there. Any recommendations on markets that would be open on weekdays. Maybe something artsy-craftsy or antiques... What about Spitalfields? Will be visiting in November and plan a day trip to London.
Thanks!
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 11:18 AM

Chancery Lane
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, do you have more info? I couldn't find anything on the web about Chancery Lane...
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 11:44 AM

LondonTown.com | London Shopping | Leather Lane Market London ...London Silver Vaults · Chancery House 53-64 Chancery Lane, WC2 (Gifts and Luxuries) 5 minute walk to the South West of Leather Lane Market (350 metres) ...
http://www.londontown.com/LondonInfo...e_Market/52fb/ -

the only reason this popped into my mind is that you said weekdays - there are many weekend markets such as Camden Lock, etc.

I'm sure someone more versed in this than i will respond.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again. Anybody else? I am finding conflicting info on line about Spittalfields. Open weekdays or weekends only? Worth a visit?
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 05:32 PM

Camden PASSAGE on Wednesdays, or some of the antique centers any day of the week..Alfies, Antiquarius, Gray's
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 05:45 PM

http://www.camdenpassageislington.co...older/home.htm

CAmden Passage website
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

What about Camden market? Is that close to Camden passage? Worth a visit? Also, still no feedback from anybody on Spitalfields?
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 04:59 AM

Old Caledonian market on Friday morning is antiques but not cheap. From the Tower of London, cross Tower Bridge and travel for about a mile. It is in the Bermondsey area.

Portobello Road, Saturdays. Starts from around ten minutes walk from Notting Hill Gate tube station. Ask almost anyone.

Sunday morning. Opposite Liverpool Street train station is Peddicoat Lane which is a tourist market. About ten minutes walk north (towards Hoxton, away from Tower Bridge) and on your right is Club Row market, which starts from a little way along Cambridge Heath Road.

Greenwich market. I think it is open in the week but gets really busy Sunday morning, just out of the one way system on the road to Lewisham. The immediate area of the one way system, where the Cutty sark is is full of little old shops full of old stuff.

Note. Parking is awful near most markets I mentioned, and there are few if any real bargains. Most people in the area will know where they are and often it is a matter of following the crowd. Watch your pockets and bag(s).

England is full of charity shops who do good work raising money for various good causes. They sell pretty much anything old and new. Sometimes a real bargain can turn up in one of them. In various street markets and weekend boot sales, bargains can also turn up if you are early enough.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 05:11 AM

Camden Passage and Camden Market are two totally different things.

Camden Passage is in Islington (nearest tube is Angel) and sells antiques and bric a brac.

Caden Market is in Camden Town and sells black clothes to sullen goths.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 05:44 AM

Be sure to swing by the markets at Covent Garden, not as many as the weekend but still worth the trip. I have only been to Spittalfields on Sunday,I understand that on weekdays it is basically food products.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 12:02 PM

I have visited Spitalfields market on a weekday but I can't remember which day (helpful!!) As far as I can remember it was the usual market crafts/gifts etc on sale as well as some clothes. It wasn't too busy. I usually visit on weekends - Spitalfields is probably my favourite London market and Sunday is the "food" day with lots of organic goodies on offer.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 02:41 PM

For a boost to the senses, I love the Columbia Road Flower market. Even if I cannot purchase anything, I enjoy the bustle and smells of this Sunday morning (til 2) market. From there it is a quick jaunt to Brick Lane and also to Spittalfields. I bought a lavender leather jacket for 15pounds at Brick Lane.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - just a reminder to all you helpful posters that I will be in London on a weekday. That said, any other input?
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 06:56 AM

Camden Market is open all week. It's just much bigger at weekends - especially Sunday.

Camden Passage isn't just a market - there are shops there too, and they are open all week.