Search

London bound!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2000, 11:16 AM
s.fowler

London bound!

It's being a *beast* of a term ... So we've decided to go to London over spring break. My husband will give a paper at a conference in Oxford. We'll stay in London though. SO. <BR> <BR>I need help with hotels. Our requirements are 1. centrally, but quietly, located and/or no more than a block or so from a tube stop. <BR>2. Some charm and pleasant management. <BR>3. Not more than $150 a night. <BR> <BR>I've been looking at the following hotels and would like recommendations that meet those requirements and that price range. I know you won't let me down <BR> <BR>The hotels: The Vicarage Hotel, Montana Hotel, Burns (Park) Hotel, Adelphi Hotel,

Old Jan 16th, 2000, 02:54 AM
Maira

Sally--- throughtout the years I have been filing posts with hotel recommendations for future references. The following are some of the lodging recommendations I have for London that seem to fit your requirements: <BR> <BR>LONDON LODGING RECOMMENDATIONS <BR>"Stayed at the Copthorne Tara on a British Airways Package in June. The hotel is not much to look at from the outside, but incredibly comfortable on the inside. The soundproofing was great. Rooms were small, but had hairdryers, irons, coffee/tea machines. They were able to give us our room when we arrived at 9:30 am with no extra charge. The hotel is very conveniently located near the Kensington High Street Tube stop. Would stay there again." <BR> <BR>"I stayed at the Grosvenor Thistle this past March and loved it. The Victoria tube station is adjacent to the hotel, so you don't have walk far to get to a tube station plus, there were many shops and restaurants in the station. In addition, the Victoria station will link you to the tube lines that run to most of the tourist areas. Very convenient! The hotel itself is about a 5-10 minute walk from Buckingham Palace, and a 10 minute walk to Parliament and Westminster Abbey. The rooms in the hotel were a little small, but probably average size for European hotels. Overall, I can highly recommend the hotel, and plan to stay there the next time I go to London. Hope you enjoy your stay." <BR> <BR>"I stayed at Woodville House near Victoria Station. Convenient to the metro and easy walking distance to Buckingham Palace and Westminster Abbey. I've heard that Abbey House near Kensington is also very nice. Both of these are in Rick Steves' book. Sorry, I've not been to York, but it is probably in Rick's book! Woodville House is at 107 Ebury Street. Their phone number is 0171-730-1048, fax 0171-730-2574." <BR> <BR>" I just returned from a stay at the Vicarage, next door to the Abbey House in Kensington. It was good, reasonably priced, quiet, and clean. I'd stay there again." <BR> <BR>"My husband and I just returned (last week) from fantastic 5 day London trip. Our B&B (really a small hotel) was the Westminster House Hotel, 96 Ebury St., walk to the Abbey, Buckingham Palace, etc. Just about $100/night with full breakfast. Clean, very quiet, with private WC and shower. Mr. and Mrs. Jones (proprietors) and their three daughters were very nice. Walk to either Victoria or Sloane Square tube stop (we preferred the latter, as it took us right through our lovely neighborhood, Belgravia -- Mrs. Thatcher lives on the square behind, according to our host!). We would return - lodging is SO expensive in central London and this was good value. Email me to remind me to dig up the phone/fax number, if you wish." <BR> <BR>"Manzi's is situated right in Leicester Square, so you can walk anywhere, even to Covent Garden. The rate I got for a single, ensuite room was 53 pounds per night. so that is about 80 US??? It's certainly the best I've found central so far, because I too would rather pay more and stay right central. Here is their phone number. 011 44 171 734 0224." <BR> <BR>"I think you would enjoy staying at the Ambassadors Hotel, in Bloomsbury. Itīs well-decorated and comfortable, with a bathroom and shower in every room and a good restaurant and bar. Itīs a few minutes walk from at least three underground stations. Address: 12 Upper Woburn Place. Tel.: 0171 387 1456. Have a nice trip!" <BR> <BR>The Vicarage has received consistent praises on ths forum. The above lists includes others that also have been praised more than once.Hope this helps.

Old Jan 16th, 2000, 07:48 AM
s.fowler

Thanks for your helpful and genrous post Maira! <BR> <BR>I am also looking at the Morgan Hotel. People keep saying it's nice, but don't provide details about decor ambience... bathrooms etc.. I hope someone will! I am also looking at Lime Hotel/House and Adare House. <BR> <BR>My experience in London Hotels ranging from the Goring [on my parent's bill] to St. Margaret's with the plastic-thing-in-the-corner. I have also stayed at the Bryanston Court near Marble Arch and the Georgian House on Gloucester Place. We also have a need to be near or on a direct line to Paddington Station.

Old Jan 16th, 2000, 10:10 AM
wes fowler

Sally, <BR>Take a look at the website www.etonhouse.com/colonnade/colonnad.htm <BR>We stayed there on a number of occasions when it was under family ownership and were most pleased with the accommodations though they were not nearly as sumptuous as they now appear to be. Room sizes were ample as were storage spaces for luggage. The hotel is in a quiet residential area in Little Venice about fifty yards from the number 28 bus stop and the Warwick Avenue tube station (on the Bakerloo line, one stop from Paddington Station). The hotel has an interesting history, having been the former homes of Sigmund Freud and Alan Turing the cryptologist. It's been a girl's school and also a nursing home over the years. There are a number of interesting restaurants, French and Thai within a couple of blocks and a true Victorian pub just around the corner. Price may be prohibitive for your budget but the hotel frequently offers specials. You might want to check... <BR>slVegami

Old Jan 16th, 2000, 10:28 AM
wes fowler

Son of a gun! Not five minutes after the previous posting I picked up a copy of the New York Times Travel section and there is a glowing review of the newly refurbished Colonnade. There, too, was mention of the room prices - which are astronomical: $180 for a small basement room to $218 for a standard double and $315 for a suite PLUS 17.5% VAT. Scratched it off my list as I'm sure you will yours.

Old Jan 16th, 2000, 11:00 AM
s.fowler

Thanks Wes! <BR>I foudn the website: http://www.etontownhouse.com/colonnade/colonnad.htm <BR> <BR>The online booking shows some rooms coming in under $200 - to be honest we've upped our price celing to between $150-200. It's outrageous, but I can't handle down-the-hall or plastic-contraption-in-the-corner! <BR> <BR>I've also been looking at The Mornington Hotel which is a block from Paddington and is in approximately the same bracket. Although with the NYTimes weighing in I doubt we'll find them so willing to give a winter discount Oh well. I'll report back.

Old Jan 17th, 2000, 05:35 AM
Tammy

<BR>Sally, <BR> <BR>Try looking at the Knighstbridge Green Hotel. It is a right across from Hyde Park, a block from the Knightsbridge tube stop and about a block from Harrods. I think it's about $200. I stayed there last April with my mom and we loved it. However, my next trip to London will be a little tighter on the budget. <BR> <BR>Tammy

Old Jan 17th, 2000, 06:26 AM
s.fowler

Thanks Wes & Tammy! <BR>Tammy - I think we need to be closer to Paddington as the spousal unit will be going to Oxford on 3 days, but I did see the hotel you mentioned and it looked nice! <BR>On the low end I'm still wondering about Adare Hotel/House? Anyone know anything?