London boat trips

Search

London boat trips

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London boat trips

We're leaving for London on7/4 and would like your thoughts about the various places to visit by boat. Someone had mentioned a lovely hour ride down the Thames to Greenwich-any other suggestions. We want to do this as a day trip and would consider train ride back. Thanx for your thoughts!
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 05:31 AM

Mosby:

Why not take a boat upriver from Westminster to Hampton Court? 3 1/2 hour boat ride, visit of the Palace and its grounds and back by train.

You will find timetables and fares of all London boat services as a pdf download at http://www.londontransport.co.uk/river/mar_home.shtml.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy your trip.

Phil
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 07:27 AM

Hi

Free boat trips are available on the Woolwich ferry ?

Peter
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 08:58 AM

The Hampton Court Palace trip is great - but consider doing it in the opposite direction. Take the train to HCP in the morning, tour the palace and gardens - then take the boat back to Westminster Pier in the afternoon. The trip is about 45 minutes shorter going down river - almost 4 hrs going to HCP and around 3 hrs going back into London. Plus a morning boat trip might be too cool to sit outside on deck comfortably.
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 12:14 PM

I've taken the boat twice from Westminster pier to Greenwich and would highly recommend it! Great views of London from the river - some of my best pictures of London came from these trips - the Tower and St. Pauls. You also get a little commentary from the crew but be warned they will pass a cap around afterwards for donations! In Greenwich make sure to visit the Queen's House - a beautiful, small house so the tour is not lengthy. When I went the dock railway was not in use but I hear it is a good way to return to London if you don't want to take the boat back. I'll be in London in September again and plan on doing this tour. Enjoy!!
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 01:23 PM

Hi Mosby
I highly recommend taking the boat trip from Westminster Pier to Greenwich. I just did this about a week ago, and it was a great way to see the sights of London. You will see and hear about lots of buildings that you otherwise would not know about. My husband and I purchased a 7 day travel card for zones 1 and 2; we got a discount on our boat tickets b/c of having the travel card. We did the round trip ticket, but you can also buy it one way only. It's very relaxing (assuming the weather is nice) and a great way to escape the city a bit.
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 02:00 PM

Do you know if you need to reserve the return trip from Hampton Court to Westminster Pier ahead of time? We'll be spending a Sunday at Hampton Court, and thought coming back on the boat would be lovely, if the weather is nice.
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 04:46 PM

Wren2 - you don't have to book ahead. The boats only fill up on the very busiest, nicest days. An especially warm Sunday might be busy - but when you arrive at HCP, you can just walk down to the pier before you enter the Palace and buy tickets for later that day.

That way you can wait til you get there to decide if the weather is good enough and if you want to take the boat back.
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 05:39 PM

I took the boat trip from Westminster to Kew Gardens (lovely park and much to see) and the tube back. Definitely great siteseeing along the river. Also took the tube to Greenwich and the boat back. Either trip gives you a nice overview of London from the river. I think it depends on how much time you want to spend on transportation to the various sites.
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 07:46 PM

Hi Mosby,
If you don't want to take a whole day, and would just like to rest your weary feet for an hour or so, the London Waterbus company runs a narrowboat on the Regents Park Canal from Little Venice (tube Warwick Avenue) to Camden Lock via London Zoo. It must be one of the most peaceful places in London, at least it was when we did it in early May. This will let you out at the markets at Camden, lots of places to eat and you can get the tube back from Camden Town or walk along the towpath the to Canal Museum near Kings Cross.
Enjoy
Rosemary
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great suggestions-cant wait to get there!