London Assistance, Please

Old Apr 5th, 2019, 12:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
London Assistance, Please

Dear Fodorites.

DD and I are heading first to Dublin for a Trinity College tour later this month over the spring break, and then will drop into London for 3 days so that DD can visit with friends at ICL and ASL. Originally a friend was to join DD but that plan collapsed last evening. Of course DD can travel by herself, but since I'm paying for the hotel and her flight, regardless, what's another flight, right?

This will be my third visit to London. All of the major sites have been seen, including some further afield sights (Oxford, Bletchley Park, Windsor Castle), though I do plan to drop into the V&A because I love it so. Exploring markets is another priority. But aside from that, what hidden gem parks or museums or neighborhoods have you encountered that warrant my time? Could I visit Cambridge as a day trip? Is it "worth" the day trip to visit Highclere Castle for this Downton Abbey fan? Are there particular hikes with scenic opportunities?

In advance, thank you.
Old Apr 5th, 2019, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes Cambridge works as a day trip.

The canals of London are an interesting hike. You could walk out to a station and catch a train back to save on boredom but there is a lot of "interesting" life along the canals and rivers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_museums_in_London just to make the point there are more than 250 art institutions in London. I like the Brunel and the Museum of Water and Steam, but each to their own. Something about "when you are tired of London you are tired of life" .
Old Apr 5th, 2019, 02:41 AM
Original Poster

I know, I know, I could research each of the 250 museums in London, but the personal commentary and suggestions here are helpful. With appreciation for your post, bilboburgler I can cross Brunel off the list, and place Museum of Water and Steam as a "perhaps." The Regent's Canal looks like something my camera and I would appreciate, too.
Old Apr 5th, 2019, 03:18 AM

Fourfortravel, good luck with this.
Old Apr 5th, 2019, 03:41 AM
Original Poster

Not certain of what you mean, Dukey1. Am I asking too much and/or being too lazy with my travel planning? I can read every "London Off the Beaten Path" article out there, but sincerely would prefer to read personal recommendations.
Old Apr 5th, 2019, 03:46 AM

Maybe my thread (4th trip to London) will help you. I have received really good recommendations and am counting days.

My April trip to London (fourth time visit)

Cambridge is perfectly doable as a day trip and it was one of the best day trips we had done. Another favorite is Dover Castle (be ready to spend a whole day there). And have you been to Bath?
Old Apr 5th, 2019, 04:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
You might enjoy the quirky Soane's Museum. https://www.soane.org

Or maybe the Courtauld Gallery https://courtauld.ac.uk/gallery
Old Apr 5th, 2019, 05:04 AM

Mary Quant at the V&A has just opened. And the Dior exhibit is gorgeous but sold-out I think. If you want to see both, then get a membership to the V&A.
And the jewellery gallery is reopening this month too; plenty of reasons to go!
Old Apr 5th, 2019, 05:06 AM

Yep the Soane is a good trip.

Fourfor, ah I understand I thought you might be an engineer.

If you do Cambridge, see if you can allow a bit of extra time to see Ely, small but perfectly formed Welcome | Visit Ely
Old Apr 5th, 2019, 05:28 AM

Winchester, Cotswolds, Blenheim Palace, Hatfield House and St Albans, Columbia Road Flower Market, Portobello Market, Whitstable, New Forest & Beaulieu (Bucklers Hard & surrounding area) not sure which ones you have already visited.

Last edited by Odin; Apr 5th, 2019 at 05:32 AM.
Old Apr 5th, 2019, 07:48 AM

Might check out what LondonWalks has on offer while you are there London Walks "London's best guided walks" Time Out - London Walks
Old Apr 5th, 2019, 09:44 AM

Not a hidden gem and it's probably too late for this trip since they sell out far in advance but the Ceremony of the Keys is uniquely British...
Old Apr 5th, 2019, 09:56 AM

Do a walking tour of the street art in East London (starts out near the Tower of London). If you go with a good guide/historian, you'll learn a lot about this area that is now becoming gentrified. I found this tour online — I did it with a private guide and found the experience fabulous, but this could work out for you too.

https://freetoursbyfoot.com/london-t...reet-art-tour/

Here's an idea of what you can see...

an example of street art in East London
Old Apr 5th, 2019, 09:57 AM

I enjoyed visiting Highclere Castle a few years ago. I assume you have checked if it is available during your time in London?
Old Apr 5th, 2019, 11:21 AM

I second the Courtauld Gallery, 4forT. The Tate Britain if you want to see art. Have a great trip.
Old Apr 5th, 2019, 11:59 AM

Cambridge is a sweet day trip - about an hour be frequent train from Liverpool Street Station. for funk take the famous punts around the backs of the college quads

https://www.google.com/search?q=camb...w=1280&bih=625

and be sure to hit the Bodlian Library but nice walks along river or through colleges if open to public (weekends best for that) - an American military cemetery is not far south of town.

https://www.abmc.gov/multimedia/vide...rican-cemetery

for some off the beaten path things - this thread a little old but the general things are the same.

London - Off-the-Path Gems

I enjoyed walking down the street full of South Asian stores and restaurants from the train station though not the quickest way.

Last edited by PalenQ; Apr 5th, 2019 at 12:03 PM.
Old Apr 5th, 2019, 01:09 PM

The Courtauld Gallery and the Wallace Collection are both worth your time if you haven't been to these. I have spent countless hours at the British Museum, and can always spend even more time there. When I go, it is with a specific idea in mind (South Indian Sculpture, Assyrian antiquities, etc) I also spent a couple of wonderful hours in a small museum on the grounds of the University of London in the Percival David Foundation of Chinese Art. This is an exquisite collection of Chinese ceramics.
Old Apr 5th, 2019, 01:10 PM

Pal, just so there is no confusion, the Bodleian Library is located in Oxford not Cambridge.
Old Apr 5th, 2019, 02:06 PM

If wanting nice walks within London travel out to Hampstead Heath ( via Tube ) and Hampstead village. The village is very pleasant but the heath itself covers some 800 acres with many paths winding their way through varied woodland. You can easily visit Kenwood House on the north side of the hearth and nearby is the Spanish Inn is a wonderful pub/ restaurant, with plenty of old world ambience.
Old Apr 5th, 2019, 02:22 PM

Yes loved walk from Hampstead downhill all the way to London proper if I recall correctly - hit Karl Marx' grave in Highgate Cemetery on the way and Kenwood House and then right down to some soccer fields. Great views when on a crescent of all of London is laid out below.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information