London Apartment/ Flat Rentals

Jun 20th, 2003, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

London Apartment/ Flat Rentals

I will be in London for about a week and I am looking at possibly renting a flat / apartment rather than stay at a hotel. Can anyone suggest some websites that I can check out? Or has anyone stayed in similar accomodations? I have searched but come up with very little. Thank you!
Jun 20th, 2003, 12:01 PM

When I was in London last year (first and only time), I stayed in a hotel. However, I've been keeping a list of lodging recommendations posted on this board for future reference. Here they are:
londontown.com
ebookers.com
opodo.com
laterooms.com
lastminute.com
smoothhound.co.uk

If you'll be in London before the universities start their fall terms, you might be able to rent a very reasonably-priced room at one of them. I know this is possible at the University of London, for example. Visit their Web site for the details.
Jun 20th, 2003, 12:07 PM

Here are some to get you started:

E&E Apartments (no website but they do have e-mail) [email protected] phone 011-44-171-828-0453
Moderately priced studio, 1 and 2 bedroom flats in Pimlico and Victoria. Near the Thames, Tate Britain, Chelsea and Victoria Station. 3-night minimum. £360 - £700+ per week ($550-$1085)

Hamlet (UK) Ltd. www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~hamlet_uk/
Phone 011-44-181-883-0024 1 and 2 bedroom flats at St Katherine?s Dock next to the Tower of London. £500 - £675 per week ($775 - $1050)

Cottage Net (Nordqvist & Co.) [email protected] phone 011-44-171-828-2424 Many apartments throughout London £450 - £750+ ($700-$1160)

London School of Economics www.lce.ac.uk/vacations Low cost B&B and self-catering accommodations in university residence halls from mid-June thru September. Phone 011-44-171-955-7575 to request a brochure.

Scala House www.scala-house.co.uk Phone 011-44-171-580-6644. An Apartment bldg with 2-bedroom flats near Tottenham Court Rd and Oxford Street in central London. 2 night minimum £665 - £1225 (for the penthouses) per week

Price Apartments www.priceapts.co.uk
Studios thru 4-bedroom flats throughout London. £360 - £3,300 ($550-$5,100)

Chelsea Cloisters www.chelsea-cloisters.co.uk Phone 011-44-171-403-7760 Full service studios near Harrods from £480 ($740) per week. Larger flats up to £1000 ($1500)

Jun 20th, 2003, 12:16 PM

And a few more options from previous posts here

Oxbridge apts http://www.oxrg.demon.co.uk/

www.apartment-hotels.com for Emperors Gate Short Stay apts

http://chslondon.com/vr/index.htm
Jun 20th, 2003, 01:27 PM

We've stayed several times at Scala House. They have a website with all their information. The apartments are not like a fancy hotel (no plushy carpeting and crystal chandeliers) but they are clean and comfortable with basic furniture, full kitchens, washer/dryer, etc. The Goodge St. Tube stop is right around the corner and Tesco (grocery store) is right down the block, as well as numerous other stores, etc. The owner and staff are very nice and responsive. The higher floors (10 story bldg.) have great views and some apts are non-smoking. The street behind the apts., Charlotte St., has many restuarants. We've had maid service every 3 days (changing sheets, towels, general clean-up)

We've also rented an apt. from Price Apts. (Balcombe St location) and it was fine, they are more budget oriented tho. Nick and Warren Price are also easy to deal with. The Balcombe St. location is close to Marylebone Station & Tube stop as well as Baker St. Lots of places toe at on Baker St. They have other apts that they rent out at other locations, since we never stayed at them I cannot give you my opinion, but Balcombe St. apts are what I would call budget accommodations with maid service once a week.

A few yrs ago we rented an apt. at St. Katherine's Dock from Hamlet Apts. Again, the apt. was "basic" in furnishings but the views from our apt. on the 7th fl. were nice, we even had a tiny balcony. We looked down at the Marina and could also see part of the Tower Bridge. My only problem with these apts (and we loved the marina area) was that it was a good 15 min walk to the Tube at Tower Hill which made it inconvenient we thought. If you don't mind the walk then the place may be OK, the rates are quite reasonable, and the Marina is pretty. There is a large Safeway right around the corner and several small shops in the Marina itself. The Tower Thistle Hotel is adjacent to the Marina area as well and you can certainly walk to The Tower easily. There are many nice places to eat across Tower Bridge, i.e. Butler's Wharf, etc. Maid service is once a week as well here, there was also a washer/dryer in the apt.

None of these 3 that I've just described are luxurious. They are not like hotels so if you require "service" then an apt is not the way to go. There are lots more expensive places to rent in London, however since I can't afford them I won't comment on them.

One more thought - a friend stayed at Oxbridge Apts., they were fairly cheap but also very utilitarian she said...no frills for sure!
Jun 20th, 2003, 04:25 PM

TravelforLife - I have some info for you regarding apartments in London, here goes:

Chez Vous: 415-331-2535,they will send you a catalogue of properties for rent in London. We have used them in Paris, and they have some very reasonable place to rent for a week...also
As you like it.com 415-380-9848, call and leave a message, however, they do have a website, and show properties on the internet. They should be useful to you. You can also go into: Ask.com, subjest London apartments to rent, or Londontown.com they can help also...Good luck in finding a property. MerriTraveler
Jun 21st, 2003, 08:32 AM

TravelforLife: One more for the list, which I ran across yesterday. Try these people out, the properties look great, and priced well. They have a website, and show properties on the web:www.aplacelikehomelondon.co.uk/ Hope this helps!
Jun 22nd, 2003, 01:53 AM

You can also check out this site:
London Serviced Apartments
http://www.londonservicedapartments.co.uk/
They have quite a selection in 3 different price categories!!!!
Good Luck!!!!
Jun 22nd, 2003, 03:46 PM

We used london4rent.com
we loved the service & discounts
Jun 24th, 2003, 11:39 AM

Try Coach House London Vacation Rentals
at www.rentals.chslondon.com
Nov 30th, 2004, 04:04 AM

I stayed with Faversham Development in Chelsea. Their apartments are really super and the service excellent.
Their website is www.favershamdevelopment.com
Nov 30th, 2004, 05:37 AM

For some really nice places that are all privately owned as secondary residences but handled by a US rental agency, look at www.farnum-christ.com.
These apartments are much more "liveable" than the usual bare bones service apartments done up strictly for rentals. The one we do in Covent Garden on Floral Street has tons of art, books, sound system, even equipped kitchen with condiments to use as you want (and just replace if you use something up).