London apartment feedback needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you know which are this apartment is located? Has anyone rented this before?

http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/ren...t-london/63559

How far will this be from the tourist attractions?

Thanks,
RP
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 12:30 PM

Your first sentence doesn't make sense
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 12:34 PM

Must be a typo...5th word probably "area" not are
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 12:36 PM

So based on the link you provided there is a Google Map that shows it near Childs Hill Park. I did my own Google Map and it says that it is about 5.3 miles from London. There is a Tube stop at Golders Green that looks near the apartment and that line would take you into London. Not sure how long that ride would be.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Yes it is supped to read "Do you know which area his apartment is located?"
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 12:38 PM

The libnk to the page that you provided contains a link to a map that pin points the apartment. I suggest that you look at that and then transfer to Google maps and do a virtual walk around the area
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 12:40 PM

Hi,

Pretty far out in the burbs. You'd spend a fair amount of time getting anywhere.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 12:50 PM

Maybe something like this? http://www.vrbo.com/14471
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 12:54 PM

Oh, sorry. That was pretty worthless, wasn't it? Showing photos of changing of the guard, etc, always seems fishy. The link was suppposed to be for a 3BR/2BA (Sleeps 4-5) From £135/nt Pounds Sterling
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

What do you think of this?

http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/ren...n-zone-1/85430

BTW, would really appreciate if someone living in London can provide feedback.

Thank you all for your help. I can Google and figure out the distance, but that is not what I am asking. Since I have never been there, I am asking your feedback on whether it is convenient and safe for tourist to wishing to see London in limited time.

Thanks,
RP
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 03:02 PM

Londoners tend to be asleep this time of day, so be patient.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 10:06 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The second one (the one in Bayswater) is 10000% better location than the first one.

Not that this would be a red flag or anything, but the owner does use some odd descriptions. Princess Diana's 'Castle' is Kensington Palace and no one would call it a castle. The flat is not "across the road" from Hyde Park, though it isn't far away.

The upstairs sleeping area appears to be two double beds (called singles in the listing) cheek by jowl w/ absolutely no space between them.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 10:28 PM

OH - meant to add - The Golders Green area flat is not all that remote -- it is only one tube stop beyond Hampstead, but is much farther out than Bayswater. The owner does have some, shall we say 'communications issues'. Like >>We have big garden specially summer tiime you enjoy most.<< And I LOVE >>Who ever stay in the house they will be responsible with ther own mess. << At least he's honest . . . Also - you do realize you'd be sharing the kitchen and probably baths too.

To give you and idea for comparison - this site has 1 bdrms (which won't work for you because they only sleep 4) and 2 bdrms which are much bigger than the Bayswater flat, have washer/dryers, real bedrooms and terraces or patios -- across from the Tower of London and on a yacht harbor w/ all sorts of restaurants. The 1 bdrms are cheaper than that studio and the 2 bdrms are only a bit more.

http://www.hamletuk.com/

So while the Bayswater flat is better than the one in Golders Green, it isn't that big a bargain IMO.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

@janisj: I really appreciate your detail feedback. It really helps to hear from someone who has a keen eye for detail. I am guessing you live in London or visited it quite often. Since this is our first trip I am little apprehensive. I have sent a request to hamletuk.

I have received a few more quotes and will look through them carefully before making a final decision. BTW, what is fodorite's experience for paying by paypal or google checkout? Is it better than sending money through Western Union?
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 08:55 AM

You're welcome junk4rp. Glad I can help. I am actually from California but lived in the UK for several years and go back pretty often.

Paypal is fine, I have no experience w/ google checkout but I'd guess it is OK too. I'd avoid Western Union.

But many places just let you pay by credit card, and others will take a deposit by cc and then you pay the balance in cash when you arrive. You'd get the cash using your ATM card in London.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 09:17 AM

Not that this would be a red flag or anything, but the owner does use some odd descriptions. Princess Diana's 'Castle' is Kensington Palace and no one would call it a castle.>

sounds like owner could well be a foreigner or immigrant, not unusual in such London accommodations IME

Golders Green is a gritty rather rundown area IMO but it is the real London, warts and all. Check out the flamingos!
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 10:50 AM

PQ: Of course the owner is probably a foreigner or immigrant - doesn't a genius to figure that out. But even a 'foreigner or immigrant' would know the flat is not across the road from Hyde Park . . . .
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 11:09 AM

Princess Diana's 'Castle' is Kensington Palace and no one would call it a castle.>

Janis i was only responding to your claim that NO ONE would call it a castle - and yet foreigners who do not speak English as their first language may well. That's all - pointing out something that escaped you apparently that ferriners may mix up caslte with palace.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 11:32 AM

No - it didn't "escape" me. It was the very first thing that crossed my mind. Didn't feel it was necessary to post the obvious . . . .
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 11:33 AM

then i do not understand the reason you even posted the bit about the castle? What was the point to do with the flat - it did sound like that sounded alarms bells to you - but why?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -