London and France: Nikki's belated experiment in internet photo posting

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I have posted some photos from my July trip to London and France. Haven't ever done this before, so we'll see if it works. This should be the link:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...0&y=6rbmeh

The trip report for this trip was previously posted at:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34652273
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wroked just fine! My God! Those artichokes at the market wer HUGE!!!!!
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 04:41 PM

I either need typing lessons or spellCheck!
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 05:16 PM

Nikki, your pictures are marvelous. They were especially appealing to me. I'm taking a watercolor class and guess what our project was today? A sunflower field with trees and bushes and an old brick house in the background. Thanks for sharing.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 05:45 PM

Those are lovely photos. Thanks for sharing them.

I see that they also had a Dave Chilhully exhibition at the Victoria and Albert Museum. I am sure that was fun.

I am going back to read your trip report. Thanks again.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 07:55 PM

Lovely photographs. Thank you for sharing them with us.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 09:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Nikki, they are ALL wonderful, so professional compared to mine.
Thank you.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 11:17 PM

Marvelous pics thanks for sharing, you bring out many things about france that I love, the markets, the chateau's the rivers and the history, Oradour is somewhere I must go but not got there yet.

Cheers

Muck
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 03:02 AM

Nikki,

Great photos...thanks for sharing.

Are you aware of the rights that you have given up by posting on kodakgallery.com?

Kodak can "take and use" your photos without compensation for commercial purposes. They also encourage anyone viewing your photos to make copies for themselves. That is why I don't post photos with Kodak.

If you are aware of the policy and OK with it ...then that is fine.

From their TOS

20. Copyright in Your Images

Kodak Imaging Network does not claim ownership rights in any image contained in your account. For the sole purpose of enabling us to display your images through the Service and fulfilling any orders for you or those you have shared your images with, <b>you grant to Kodak Imaging Network a non-exclusive, royalty-free license to use, copy, distribute, and display those images. Please note that when you share images, you allow the recipients to share and make photographic prints from those images.</b>&quot;
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the nice comments.

Dick, thank you very much for pointing out the Kodak policies. I read your comments to my husband and we were both amused at the thought of Kodak wanting to use any of these snapshots for any purpose other than my own vanity. If I didn't post them here they would end up in the ever-increasing collection of photo albums and discards that is taking over our living room and closets respectively.

These photos were taken from drug store CDs made from the film I shot on the cheap camera I bought in France when my fifteen year old Olympus point and shoot fell out and broke as I was opening the car door. Well, some were taken on the Olympus before it fell out. My old Nikon FM2 has been languishing on a shelf for years.

I have been wondering why the posted shots look so fuzzy. The prints in my album are much sharper. I don't know whether it is the transfer to the photo CD, the cheap camera(s) which don't hold up to light and magnification, or (and this should probably be first on the list) the photographer's lack of skill.

However, I am not sure I read the passage you quoted from Kodak the same way you do. It seems to me that the passage you highlighted in bold must be read in light of the unhighlighted passage that precedes it; as my late lamented Professor MacLeod would have said, read on. I am granting the rights you highlighted &quot;(f)or the sole purpose of enabling us to display your images through the Service and fulfilling any orders for you or those you have shared your images with&quot;, which would exclude Kodak taking and using the images without compensation for commercial purposes.

Not, mind you, that I would want to have to make such an argument in any real dispute. And not, as I see clearly, that this limits anybody who copies the image from the web site or orders a print from using the pictures as they see fit.

The only thing that gave me pause was including the picture of my daughter, as this could be an invasion of her privacy. However, as she has posted shots of her own on such sites, I figured my one shot was acceptable.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Simone1, I am not sure there was a Chihuly exhibit at the Victoria and Albert. The photo was taken in the lobby, where the large chandelier was hanging. I was not familiar with his work, and it is fascinating.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 07:00 AM

I remember going to the V&amp;A. Isn't it the museum with the large open square in the middle with a few fountains? If so it was like an oasis of calm when I was in London on a hot summers day a few years ago.

Muck
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Muck, there was some construction going on at the Victoria and Albert Museum, and I did see a courtyard but did not go into it. If it is the one you remember, it was not so much a peaceful oasis in July of this year.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 11:20 AM

Old Sep 19th, 2005, 11:31 AM

GREAT photos! I really enjoyed them, thanks for sharing.

To join in on the Dale Chihuly discussion; in 1999 the V&amp;A put a Chihuly Chandelier in the entrance hall. It was the first major artwork by Chihuly to be permanently installed in the UK. The interest generated by it resulted in a Chihuly exhibit in 2001.

Thanks again for the pics!
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 04:10 PM

Thanks for that bit of information. I have seen Chilhully in Venice and at the Botanical Garden in Chicago, but these were only temporary exhibits. The one at the V&amp;A is exquisite..
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 02:33 AM

I saw the Chicago exhibit too, it was really something, wish I could have seen the Venice one. There is an exhbit now at Kew Gardens you can take a look at http://www.chihuly.com/installations/kew

Nikki again, you photos were a lot of fun to look at, thank you!