London and Dublin Trip, help!!

Old Sep 10th, 2003, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London and Dublin Trip, help!!

Hello everyone,
I am planning my first trip to London with a few friends for a week in late March. I would love to go see Dublin as well. Do you think it would be better to just stay in London and see everything or try to do both. 4 days in London, 3 in Dublin? i would love everyone's opinion.THANKS!!
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 12:39 PM
ron

You can't see everything in London in 7 days anyway, so if you truly would love to go to Dublin and you are able to do so, you should do it.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 02:53 PM

Well - you can't even see everything in London in 7 months so that shouldn't be the decider.

But the main sites of Dublin can be seen in a day or two (no - not in depth but an overview). So you might think about just going to Dublin on a cheap flight for one night / two days and then you will at least have a little more time in London.

If it were me I would stick to London but if you have your heart set on it, go for a short look-see.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 09:52 PM

Sounds wonderful!! I spent 5 days in London and really-saw just about everything!! I was by myself but I was able to go go go!!
I think back to what I would not have missed- Hampton Court is a must see as well as the Tower. Dinner and a show is a must- many restaurants have special Theater menus too....
Evensong at Westminster is wonderful and a ride on the Eye is great. The London museum is a great place to learn about London and the exibits were very well done and the Roman wall is right there. I also enjoyed the Art Gallery at Trafalgar sq. and of course the British museum.
I would have loved a side trip to Dublin!
Only one word of advice- I went and froze- even though I had good warm boots- My coat was too thin. There was a bitter cold wind blowing and even wearing a sweater didn't help. I do not know the weather in Nov. but I would imagine it would be similar in March when I was there??
Let us know how your trip goes....
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great info! My heart isn't set on Dublin, i want to go there eventually but i could do another trip of just Ireland next year. Any other must see's that i shouldn't miss? Those tips were great! Thanks again!Also when is a good time to start booking flight and hotels for a late march trip?
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 08:25 AM

Hi gally,
I have spent many months in London and not seen everything. I too will be there again in late March and then again in April when we return from Italy. I have also spent three weeks in Dublin. I would say if you only have a week, then rather spend it in London to see a bit more, or spend a day or two going to Bath and maybe Oxford. Dublin is worth a visit but if time is short then it just seems a pity to waste some of it getting to airports and changing hotels and all that goes with that. Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time, and maybe we will cross paths. I'll have to haul out my fodors pin and wear it because it seems there will be a few of us wondering around London in March.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 10:33 AM

I'll be in London in March too! I arrive early A.M. on the 13th and leave on the 24th. (I know, much too short of a trip! ) I have already booked our plane and hotel, and just can't wait til we can book our theater tickets and make dinner reservations, etc. And, of course I can't wait to go!!!!
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Hello All,
I actually saw a deal on Eurovacations for 2 people, airfare and hotel for 6 nights for $612 each for late march. What do you all think of this? i thought it was pretty good. Do i have to get theatre and restaurant reservations before i go? or can i go to one of those booths like a tks booth to get tickets when i'm there?
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 01:01 PM

If not Dublin, then make a trip to the English countryside, Paris or anywhere but London!!! Ok, I'm not the biggest fan of London. However, even London fans would probably agree that 2 or 3 daytrips would make your stay in London that much more enjoyable.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 09:13 PM

I paid 500$ just for round trip airfare- so I have to wonder what kind of hotel you get with the airfare for 612$?? If you are doing it right you won't be in your room much anyways- but I would like to know what section it is in London...

I loved London- I have been to La
San Fran, Vancouver, Portland, Seattle, Wa DC, Atlanta, Charleston SC Ashville NC, Bar Harbor, Hilton Head, Daytona, Miami, Key West and everything in between- even the south of France- and London so far- has been the greatest trip I have taken!!
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 10:18 AM

See all of London and plan another trip to Ireland. Last Aug/Sept I went to Ireland for 9 days and had a wonderful time. Dublin is nice, but the SW corner of Ireland is to die for. The Dingle Peninsula is beautiful and also the Ring of Kerry. This November will be my 3rd trip to London and I still haven't seen it all. Must see is "Mama Mia"...saw it last year and will see it again this year. I've seen it in Denver and it just doesn't compare to the London production.