Itinerary for South of France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a good itinerary for the South of France during the last week of December and first week of January.(10 days total) Could anyone who has visited the South during this period provide me with some suggestions? Thanks
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 07:27 AM

Look at the cureent Languedoc-Roussillon thread. I would add to that the possibility of skiing in the Pyrenees (around Bagnères de Luchon) if you are a skier.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 08:16 AM

Greenies, the South of france is a huge area. Are you talking about the southeast (traditional Nice west to St Tropez) or all the way to Marseilles? Do you already have flights booked? If yes, flying in & out of where? Do you plan to drive or use public transport? Do you want to stick to the coast area or go up into provence? What are your interests (art, food, wine, just pretty scenery???) What style of travelers are you-slow & easy

While you may be "green" about the area it sounds as though you've done no research on your own & expect us to
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 08:25 AM

Greenies, the South of france is a huge area. Are you talking about the southeast (traditional Nice west to St Tropez) or all the way to Marseilles? Do you already have flights booked? If yes, flying in & out of where? Do you plan to drive or use public transport? Do you want to stick to the coast area or go up into provence? What are your interests (art, food, wine, hiking, skiing or just pretty scenery???) What style of travelers are you-slow & easy-stay in 1 or 2 places & do day trips or keep moving?

While you may be "green" about the area it sounds as though you've done no research on your own & expect us to do a lot of work with no input. Lots of Fodorites will be happy to help but not without some direction from you.

As I said on my post to your question yesterday (to go back to that post click on your screen name) provencebeyond.com is a good website to get a feel for the area. As to the time of year, apart from the fact that it will be quieter than in high season, it will probably not be swimming weather & some places may be closed for the holidays, it should not affect your itinerary. provencebeyond should have an area on it's website for any special events taking place at that time.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 08:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
greenies, the south of France includes Provence, Coe DÁzur, Languedoc- Roussillon, each with a different landscape and and cuisine.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 09:47 AM
emtravel

Greenies,
we also going to South of France at the same time but for a week. We decided to base oursleves in Nice and drive on the coast. Nice is central. We will go to Eastern coast towards italy , menton, monaco, and see on the way. Other days, west towards Cannes. Other days in the hills, Eze Village, Vence, St. Paul de Vence. Provence can be colder since there is Mistral winds might be at that time. Sophia

Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 10:25 AM
TC

We are just back from 12 days in Provence. We stayed in Marsaille, Cassis, Vaison-de-la-Romaine, Gordes, and Avignon. We had a car and drove to lots of other little towns and villages. We stayed in amazing B&Bs in all the places (except airport at Marsaille the last night) for an average of $100 USD per night. This was a beautiful itinerary for sightseeing, ruins, and food and wine. It might be a bit cold for it in Dec and Jan and many places do list that they are closed during that time period. However, I would be happy to answer any questions you might have about our trip. Email me at [email protected].