Search

London and ???

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London and ???

My husband and I (both in our early 30s)will be in London for 2 days at the end of the summer. We want to take 5 - 6 days and visit somewhere nearby. We'd prefer go somewhere we hae not been, we have both been to Paris, the English countryside, Edinborough and Amsterdam.

We are looking for a mix of R&R and historical/cultural. Thanks in advance.

Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:23 PM

Cambridge is interesting, Oxford can be horribly crowded. Stratford? If you want to go that far, Glasgow is happening. Art, music, etc.

tje islands off scot. are quite good-- if you like ferries and odd sights. I wish I were more up on the turist traps, but am not. A few years ago my husband and I went to Skye, and then to some smaller and weirder islands. I guess it just depends upon your taste.

what the hell, why not just stay in London? Highgate cemetary, weird museums in N. london ( nt the touristy ones) ALSO have you looked at the National Trust website? they rent places of interest, historical and architectual.
Of course, Italy is too far, unless you can get a good flight from easyjet or one of the other onesl.

Another thought-- have you been to Ireland? Dublin is clubby and monied now, but the west is still lovely, and a bout a 30 min. flight from lhr. Galway, county clare etc.

just a few ideas.
take care
Old May 24th, 2006, 05:39 AM

Brittany and/or Normandy.

Keith
Old May 24th, 2006, 06:08 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
&quot;<i>the English countryside,</i>&quot; is a LOT of territory. Where did you go before?

The Cotswolds, Kent/Sussex, Devon/Cornwall, the Lake District, Yorkshire Dales, Yorkshire Moors, East Anglia, the Peak District, Northumberland/Hadrian's Wall, Hampshire/Isle of Wight, Dorset/Somerset, etc., etc. Each of these regions is unique - so unless you have been to all of them you should be able to pick an area totally different than the &quot;English Countryside&quot; you've seen before.
Old May 24th, 2006, 06:19 AM

Not sure what you mean by &quot;nearby&quot;. Since you mentioned Paris and Amsterdam, I'd suggest York or Bruges (from where you could do a day trip to Ghent for example). We made a day trip to York from London and we easily could have spent much more time there. Would also add my vote for Ireland. Very close by air and you'd have more than enough to do for a few days.
Old May 24th, 2006, 06:39 AM
amaclise

I agree!! Cotswolds, Cornwall, the City of York (via high speed train) and Bruges...all awesome!!! If you go to Cornwall make sure to go to the Scilly Islands off the coast (via helicopter). They're like being in the tropics but you're in England!

Old May 24th, 2006, 09:01 AM

Bath and Stonehenge.
Old May 24th, 2006, 09:28 AM

&lt;&lt;the English countryside&gt;&gt;

Perhaps the Scottish countryside - or the Welsh countryside

BTW the official tourist website for York is www.york-tourism.co.uk