London Amsterdam Paris Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We want to travel as a family of 4. Ages from 6-33. I have family in London so starting there would be wise. We don't have a time limit but we will be leaving in April as that's when I am off work. Is it better to fly to these places? Is it cheaper to go back to London and fly home? I am just a beginner.

Secondly, my grandfather lives there and I hope to get a permanent citizenship sometime in the future when I am done school. I am learning 3 languages: French, Spanish and German. How does one go about getting there, staying there and working there with a family of 4?
Old Nov 25th, 2013, 10:28 AM

This is meant as kindly as possible, but I think your second paragraph questions are beyond what you can expect from a travel forum. Perhaps you can start by speaking with someone at the UK consulate nearest your home, or try finding an expat forum. Although we do have expats here, getting there, staying there, and working there with a family of 4 may require deeper knowledge and information.

Now, are you planning to return to your current home from this trip? How long do you plan to be away?
Old Nov 25th, 2013, 10:38 AM

You can go by bus/train/chunnel for the London/Amsterdam/Paris part, but you'll want to fly to Venice.

I can't imagine that you would save money (not to mention
precious time) by going all the way back to London at the end.

If you are traveling to/from North America you will probably find it cheapest to book the flight Home/London and Venice/Home as one itenerary (look for ``open jawed'' or ``multiple destination'' flights).

Try booking the three legs as one itenerary (if that's what you decide to do); also see what kind of fare you can get if the ``within Europe'' part is booked separately using different airlines.

Where exactly is ``there''? Where does grandpa live?
Old Nov 25th, 2013, 10:56 AM

We often recommend an open-jaws flight into one city, home from another. In your case maybe into London, home from Venice. In general, an open jaws flight (multi-city on airline web sites) should cost about the same as round-trip but save you the time and money to backtrack.

BUT it depends on where you're flying from. Venice to the US usually requires a change of planes in Europe. Another consideration: there's an expensive tax on flights out of the UK.

Ordinarily I'd suggest you start in the south and work your way north for better weather. I love spring in England and it should be farther advanced later, more green, more flowers.

The best way between London and Paris is the Eurostar train under the channel, 2 hours 15 minutes city center to city center. However tickets can get expensive close to your travel date. It's best to buy them early; you can save a lot.

You can also take the Eurostar to Brussels and switch to a train to Amsterdam. Or do a combination train/boat/train, sleeping overnight on the boat.

It's hard to know what to suggest without knowing your priorities: budget, ease of travel with kids, whatever.
Old Nov 25th, 2013, 10:57 AM

If by there you mean the UK you need to read this : http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/ with regard to qualifying for British citizenship.

If you don't qualify for citizenship and don't yet have it you can't work in Europe.

You can travel by train between London, Amsterdam and Paris. Fly to Venice, fly home from there.