Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Need advice for my first family trip to Europe
Notices

Need advice for my first family trip to Europe

Feb 23rd, 2014, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Need advice for my first family trip to Europe

Hello! Need advice for my first family trip to Europe.

We are from Malaysia plan to go on our first family trip to Europe from 22nd December 2014 to 11th January 2015 (about 3 weeks). My main concern is that we have to be in Leeds, UK (currently my son is studying in West Yorkshire, Leeds & completing by December 2014 and we need to stop over at Leeds to pick up his belonging and luggage) before fly home to Malaysia.

We are looking for itinerary advice on if we could visit the following places in 3weeks?
Places: Paris / Dubrovnik, Croatia / Venice / Switzerland / Amsterdam / London.

If not, what would be your best advice & comments on the plan, budget airlines and accommodation?

Both of us are in early 50 & my 2 children (22 & 17 years). My son will meets us on the arrival of our first destination in Europe.

Thank you for your help!
Feb 24th, 2014, 04:49 AM

I think that's too much for three weeks. The first thing I would cut is Dubrovnik, which is beautiful, but a very small city and not easy to reach from any other place you want to visit. Besides, being on the sea, it could very well be miserable at that time of the year.

You could then fly into Venice, and after visiting Venice, take a train to someplace in Switzerland. The ride through the Alps is very beautiful. From there, you could go to either Amsterdam or Paris. There are some Swiss cities with very good high-speed train connections to Paris, or you could fly. Amsterdam and Paris are well connected to each other by train, and from either one of them, you can take the Eurostar to London.

The weather in most of these places could very well be cold, windy, and wet. In Amsterdam, the hours of daylight are very short at that time of year. I used to work there, and I remember arriving at my office in the dark, and leaving for home in the dark, never seeing sunlight until the weekend. It's not much different in London, except that being in a different time zone, they have a bit more daylight in the afternoon. I've been to London in late December, but not for work, so I got up later, and saw daylight before going out in the morning. Anyway, it bothered me less.
Feb 24th, 2014, 04:56 AM

Your other thread has 6 responses. No need to start another post that's exactly the same. Everyone is telling you that this is too much travel in 3 weeks.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-to-europe.cfm
Feb 24th, 2014, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to all for the useful information.

@ Adrienne - Thank you. I am a newbie here & my computer knowledge is really bad. I realized it was double posted but
I don't know how to delete it. Sorry!
Feb 24th, 2014, 06:02 AM

That's ok. You can't delete any posts yourself; only the editors can delete.

If you need to see all your posts then you can click on your screen name and they will come up.
Feb 24th, 2014, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

@ Adrienne,
Thank you for your replied, it is helpful.

Search this Thread