Search

London

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 1998, 11:16 PM
Han

London

Some people say it's dull in London on Sundays, is it true? What can we do on Sundays in London?

Old Nov 10th, 1998, 03:00 AM
s.fowler

Well it depends on what you mean by "dull" I guess. [and a little on the season and the weather] <BR>Let's see. You could start with an early morning walk along the Thames near "Big Ben". Attend a service at Westminster Abbey [you don't have to be Anglican to appreciate the music and accents!] Or at St. Paul's Cathedral in the City. If you religion precludes that, well walking in one of the parks is a nice option. On Sundays Hyde Park Speakers' Corner is a unique window on free speech and whackiness. Not exactly sure what time that starts though. <BR>In the afternoon you could take a boat ride someplace, on the Thames, to Greenwich. You could go to Hampton Court [by train from Waterloo]or any of the other museums. A lot of restaurants will be closed, but there is always a cafe in the larger museums. [and they aren't bad either] <BR>Stores are closed for the most part, and as I said many restaurants are too. I think pubs maintain a somewhat shorter schedule, although ones downtown are likely to be closed. If you haven't done a city-tour on a bus, Sundays would be a a better day for traffic! [I travel a lot, but I have no embarassment about taking a bus-tour in a new city, or even in a city I haven't seen for a while!] <BR>Look in the paper for free or cheap music/theatre etc... performances. Of if your budget allows, spring for a matinee of your favorite musical or other performance. <BR>Really the only thing you CAN'T do is shop and, perhaps eat at some restaurants. London may be quiet on Sunday, but it's a great time to just wander and enjoy! <BR>I'm going to be in London on a Sunday in December and I can't wait! We'll probably attend a service at St. Pauls, then do as much of the above as time allows before returning to Canterbury.

Old Nov 10th, 1998, 04:54 AM
Neil

Speaking as a Londoner, I don't think ther's any problem now with shops or restaurants. Pretty much everything is open nowadays (especially with Xmas approaching). But the suggestions sound fun anyway. As they say, "when you're bored with London, you're bored with life" (even on a Sunday !) <BR>

Old Nov 10th, 1998, 07:25 AM
s.fowler

Thanks for your post Neil. I was trying to say what you said in a nice way <BR> <BR>

Old Nov 10th, 1998, 07:26 AM
s.fowler

Thanks for your post Neil. I was trying to say what you said in a nice way <BR>As Leo Buscaglia [that great guru of felling good about yourself and your life] once said. " If you are bored, you're probably boring as h***!" <BR> <BR>

Old Nov 10th, 1998, 10:28 AM
Kat

Hullo everyone -- <BR> <BR>Recently traveled to London; herewith the results of both my research and experience viz. Sunday activities. <BR> <BR>Theatre largely is out of the question; most West End and Fringe productions shut down on Sunday. Likewise the top-of-the-line High-Foodie restaurants (Le Gavroche, La Tante Claire, Aubergine, etc.) close on Sundays but most other restaurants, including many terrific establishments, remain open (e.g., Bibendum, Le Pont de la Tour, Quaglinos, Vongs, etc.). The excellent dining rooms of the top-flight hotels also are open (e.g.,the Grills at the Savoy and Dorchester). <BR> <BR>The lack of theatre should not, however, discommode anyone since there are so many other activities and events on Sundays. Here are just a few of them: <BR> <BR>-- Tate Gallery: in the do-not-miss category of art museums; spectacular collections of Pre-Raphaelites, Constables and Turners (and, oh!, those Turners!). <BR> <BR>-- The London Zoo (check out the 'Moonlight World). <BR> <BR>-- Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew (aka Kew Gardens). You could combine this with a cruise up the Thames to Kew, then take the underground back to London (about 25 minutes by underground, about 1.5 hours by river tour boat). Wonderful even in winter or on rainy days since there are so many crystal conservatories housing huge varieties of flora. <BR> <BR>-- Chelsea Physic Garden, open on Sundays and Wednesdays April through October; this is the oldest continuing botanical garden in Europe. <BR> <BR>-- The (superb) London Philharmonic often presents Sunday performances. <BR> <BR>-- The street markets at Camden Lock and Petticoat Lane. <BR> <BR>-- The London Brass Rubbing Centre in the Crypt (itself a hoot) at St. Martin's in the Field at Trafalgar Square. <BR> <BR>Most museums are open Sunday afternoons. <BR> <BR>Not to worry, you won't be bored on Sundays in London!

Old Nov 19th, 1998, 07:13 AM
Laura

Buy a copy of the magazine Time Out in London. It includes a day-by-day list of events. <BR>

Old Nov 22nd, 1998, 12:53 PM
Jeff Holcomb

I can't imagine being bored in London. The parks alone are enough to keep a person occupied for hours.

Old Nov 23rd, 1998, 08:59 AM
PArrot Mom

Hey, will be in London this coming Sunday--I think there is Xmas parade and most stores opening about noon--How can anybody be bored in London--not enough time for us to see all we want to see, including Tussards, St. Pauls, and London Zoo on this trip--

Old Nov 24th, 1998, 05:29 AM
Michael

I can only suggest one thing on Sunday's in London. Pubs. Lots of 'em. All day.