Reload this Page >

London 2000 dome

Search

London 2000 dome

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2000, 08:32 PM
Andy

London 2000 dome

Any one has comments on the dome in London? expensive? worth a day to it?

Old May 29th, 2000, 04:42 PM
dru

Andy, just got back from London. Didn't visit the Dome, but it was all over the papers on how it is losing money, mismanaged, etc. (the top guy resigned (forced?) while I was there) I don't believe it is going as well as hoped. If this is your first trip to London, you may want to spend it seeing other things. I believe it takes about a day to do it right.

Old May 30th, 2000, 02:46 PM
Julian

It is projected to get half the number of visitors anticipated when it opened, and was given another £29 million to keep it going last week. Although they seem to be getting reasonably positive responses when they market research people who've been, it has become something of a national embarrassment. My partner went at the beginning of January and thought it was terrible. The other Millennium attraction is the London Eye, which everyone thinks is wonderful. I would go on that instead and forget the Dome.

Old May 31st, 2000, 04:57 AM
alex

Andy - this debate will probably run and run. I visited the Dome and London Eye in April and thought both were good (if expensive) experiences. Search London Eye for my reply to a post on that. The Dome has certainly had a lot of bad press and won't get the 10-13 million visitors hoped for. More like, 6 million, but second only to DisneyLand Paris in Europe thius year. <BR> <BR>The main grumbles are about how much it cost and on that front, yes, there are alot of better uses of money. IMO, some of the attractions were pretty embarrassing - the BT (telecom) sponsored Talk zone, incomprehensible Shared Ground and amateur Work/Learning zones. However, the show was passable as well as the Blackadder film. Also, the Journey (cars etc), Self Portrait (pictures and quotes of British people), and Play (jazzed up video arcade) zones were excellent. Probably best for kids. We spent 8 hours there and it was very crowded for a Saturday afternoon. But for £20 for a day's entertainment then not so bad. Compared to the London Eye for £7.45 for 30 minutes, I guess it compares well, though they are completely different of course. <BR> <BR>So if you have time and can work out what you really want to see then the Dome is worth it. Check out www.dome2000.co.uk. They also do a cheap Fri/Sat night £10 ticket for 4pm to 11pm on the door and this is probably worth checking out for a different evening out. However, you may need to enquire locally as this is a limited/special offer. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps! <BR> <BR>

Old May 31st, 2000, 10:59 PM
Ivan

Michelle Pfiffer and her kids were turned away at the door of the DOME last weekend as the doorman didn't recognise her, and told her it was full. The embarassed management later sent her an VIP invitation. So if it is good for Michelle Pfiffer, it is good for me too.