Reload this Page >

Champagne Tours in Reims

Search

Champagne Tours in Reims

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2000, 09:47 AM
Jaime

Champagne Tours in Reims

Hello: <BR> <BR>Has anyone taken a tour of Tattinger or any other champagne producer in Reims? We are thinking about taking a day trip from Paris, but we wonder if it's worth it. Any other suggestions for things to do in Reims besides champagne tours and the cathedral? We're just trying to decide whether to day trip there or somewhere else. Thanks everyone.

Old May 31st, 2000, 10:01 AM
Lori

We toured Taittinger last May. I thought it was pretty interesting seeing the caves and getting a detailed explanation as to how they make champagne. Also, Taittinger provides a tasting (yea!) not all the cellars do. We plan on returning to Reims this fall, to begin a trip through Burgundy. We are planning on making a reservation for Veuve Cliquoe, and are working on Roederer. I guess it depends on how much you like the bubbly. By the way, LOL, the cathedral is nice too!

Old May 31st, 2000, 06:08 PM
Jaime

Oh yeah, the cathedral! lol.... Now back to the champagne! <BR> <BR>Thanks for your info Lori. Do you have to make reservations for these tours? My guide book didn't mention that, but it's two years old, so maybe it's different now (?) Better buy a newer guide book. <BR> <BR>One thing I read was that some of the caves were dug by the Romans. Any description of their history or any artifacts on display?

Old May 31st, 2000, 06:31 PM
Cheryl Sloane

The Piper Heidsick tour is a blast.Just like a Disneyland ride in motorized chairs. Tattinger was also good, but much more refined. I think it's worth a side trip

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 04:24 AM
Mary Ann

We took the Piper Heidseik tour. The discussion is programed in English in the car. We would have had to wait about 40 minutes to get an English tour at Tattingers, since they schedule each language at a different time (a least 2 years ago they did). So if time is a concern, plan ahead. The tour was very enjoyable.

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 04:51 AM
Lori

Mary Anne is correct in that they give English language tours at certain times. It is best to call ahead and find out when so you are not stuck waiting around. Veuve Clicquoe is by reservation only, they require 48 hours in advance. You can reserve at the tourist office in Reims, I'm assuming your hotel, or even better through their web site www.veuveclicquot.com. For Roederer you need an introduction through someone in the business, we're working on that. Definitely worth a day trip from Paris, the train goes right there, takes 1 1/2 hours. Have a great time.