Loire Valley: Which Four Chateaux to Visit

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2004, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We leave Wednesday morning for two weeks in the Loire Valley, splitting our stay between Angers and Amboise. We don't want to spend the whole time seeing chateaux--it's pretty easy to get chateau'd out, IMHO. So...which four would you recommend?
Chambord and Chenonceau are already on the list, of course. I have seen them (a long time ago) but my husband never has.
From our last LV trip in late 2002, we have already seen Angers, Chinon, Saumur, and Azay-le-Rideau.
While we are in Amboise, we will, of course, take in that chateau and the Clos-Luce...those are within walking distance, so I'm not including those in the four we'll be driving to visit.
Any recommendations for the remaining two slots? Something different and within a 45 min drive of Amboise by back roads (the chateau visits will be done mostly during the Amboise half of the trip; in Angers we plan to hit some wineries, perhaps Fontevraud (also done on the previous trip but we really liked it) and a day in Nantes.
Anything unusual? Ideally, one would be bright and cheery and one kind of brooding and mysterious. Not interested in Cheverny or Blois.
We are also planning to goof around for a couple of hours in the Parc des Mini-Chateaux. It's close to the Amboise hotel.
Thanks!
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 08:58 AM

I'd add Villandry,especially for the gardens. And though you ruled it out Chevereny is probably the brightest and cheeriest of the chateaux. The dog pack and the hunt trophy rooms are especially interesting
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 09:18 AM

Ussé is said to have been the model for Sleeping Beauty's palace (in the French version, at any rate). It's quite graceful and beautiful.

We didn't think the château of Villandry was anything special, but the gardens are really splendid. Even if you don't visit the interior of the château of Blois, take a look at the outside.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 11:38 AM

Ussé seemed a little kitschy to me. But a lot of folks really like it, so it's probably just me.

I agree with the Villandry gardens recommendation. And I'm not even a gardening fan.

I've never been to Loches, but I hear good things.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks...Villandry is one of the top candidates for the gardens. Loches does sound intriguing; we are also interested in Montresor...it seems to be more out of the way and less visited than the others on the list.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 02:39 PM

Not exactly a chateau, but what remains of a vanished one, the Pagode de Chanteloup might be an interesting stop. It's near Amboise and set in gardens that are a good picnic venue.

http://www.amboise-valdeloire.com/fr...hes/pagode.htm
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 02:55 PM

Why not stay in one! We just returned from the Loire Valley & had a great experience staying at Chateau La Bourdiasiere(Amboise). Owned by 2 princes & reasonably priced (125-150 Euros). You get the run of the grounds & gardens.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 03:44 PM

One of our favorites is Valencay. A little off the tourist circuit, very authentic feel...good audio guide.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 06:42 PM

Langeais is also very good, with an excellent exhibition of costumes and period furniture. The town is quite pretty and nice to walk around in.